I would like to know what people think?

I started a survival/preparation site, but I am pretty amateur as far as being a prepper is concerned. I was in the military and I do hunt and occasionally garden, but I am not much of an expert on survival tactics and the myriad of scenarios that one could find themselves in.
The pics under the food/water/security/medical pages are of the preparations I have made in case sh!t hits the fan. If anybody has some advice or criticism I would appreciate it. I am getting a bad feeling about our economic state. I see riots in other countries over austerity measures and i don’t see any reason why they won’t come here. Take a look if you get a chance, or just talk about some of the things you have done to ensure your family’s safety on this thread. Thanks.
Conservative Preperation

We’vebeen doing this too. Have you ever seen the SAS manual on survival??

no, but i do have several military manuals and a couple books about survival. How is the sas manual. Does is focus mainly on surviving in combat?

Do you watch the show, “Survivorman” ? It is mainly about surviving in the wilderness, but he does introduce a lot of simple things that one can do to survive many situations.

Survivorman Videos : Les Stroud, Survival : Discovery Channel

Survivorman 3: Poor Diet Remedy : Video : Discovery Channel Channel

Les Stroud’s Survival Tips : Videos : Science Channel

Yeah, love that show, but that really is barely surviving. I’m more concerned with how to live safely and somewhat comfortably in the event of a collapse. The most dangerous part imo, is the initial collapse and the immediate chaos it causes. Surviorman is the real deal. There is a show called ‘manvs. wild’ that is just stupid. I watched it one time and counted four things that the guy did that could have got him killed.

I would say that you need to have a solar panel or two so you will always have electricity. That is a big must IMO.

agreed, and done. a couple solar panels won’t provide enough electricity to power a fridge or other large appliance, but it can charge a battery to power lights and all the devices you plug into the wall to charge. It is definitely a must.

And also if you could ever afford it a windmill is also a good investment whether the world comes to and end or not. There are some other things i though of last night but cant remember at the moment.

I know a little about electronics. It is possible to fashion a windmill capable of generating electricity from any electric motor. If i ever get the time i am going to post youtube videos on how to do it all.

First and foremost; one needs food and water. In survival mode, what nature provides, is what certain animals do eat, and what these animals eat, you can eat. This is for SURVIVAL PURPOSES ONLY. Many wild nuts, berries, green growth, is edible if you watch what birds, especially, chow down on. Barks and roots of some plants can be eaten. [I have a recipe for dogwood berry jelly] Skunk cabbage boiled down is not bad. Ground nettle, dandelion, make decent salads.
Water is a commodity these days to be careful with, but most mountain streams and springs are good for drinking purposes.
Shelter for permanency is done with a variety of materials of indigenance, ie: what is readily available. I have designed rammed earth houses, straw/hay homes, and even underground, [which can be a dampening experience]
For true survival a magnifying glass is a must. [greatest fire starter around] and of course the ever trusty “swiss army knife” and an old hunters knife I used to have with a string saw in the handle.

gas powered generator but you’ve gotta have some gasoline. or be able to steal it.

Powered by Google Docs
This will help a lot. It is the Mormon Emergency Preparedness Manual. They are experts at this sort of thing.(ignore the doctrinal parts and concentrate on the survival aspects.)

In a survival situation, electricity is not generally available, you are correct. But,what would you want it for. Better to concentrate on feeding yourself.

I came up with a blank screen with your link. Maybe this is the same ?
http://www.emergencypreparationforum.com/ldsmanual.pdf

my blog has links to some good pdfs. Resources - conantheamerican

i think i’ll add that one.

[quote=“Bucks, post:14, topic:28780”]
I came up with a blank screen with your link. Maybe this is the same ?
http://www.emergencypreparationforum.com/ldsmanual.pdf

[/quote]’
Works when I hit it. Hmmmm. Wonder what is up? Thanks for the heads up.

I agree that food is the biggest priority. However, since he is looking to maintain some modern comfort level, electricity is a must.

My focus area in case of disaster is emergency communications. As a ham operator, I’ve got that covered for our countryside neighborhood. Most of us are well-armed too. I have deep cycle battery back up supplies. I’m going to get a back up generator this year. I’m also looking into wind and solar power.

THe perfect place to build a home/shelter for the OP’s purposes would be where one has access to natural gas under it. You could power a generator large enough to supply an entire house for its normal needs. THe power grid would be your back up.

you are right about electricity not existing in a survival scenario, but the purpose of preparedness is to set aside supplies so that the collapse of society, natural disasters, and other worst case scenarios don’t impact your life with full force. i would want electricity because i’ve lived without it and it sucks. a $300 dollar investment can buy a 60 watt solar panel, a battery, and an inverter. this could be used to charge all the little devices you plug into a wall. that also includes two way radios, computers, and rechargeable batteries. that alone would be invaluable.

a larger investment in wind and solar may be able to power some type of refrigeration or and air conditioner, which would cover all the basic luxuries you normally enjoy. basically, you don’t want to be reduced to a swiss army knife and a bottle of water as soon as “!t” hits the fan. electricity, from some source, is a must if you want your long term survival to resemble anything like the life you’ve always had.

I grew up without electricity, would rather not go without it, but I would not consider it a survival necessity. Now, kerosene for lamps I would like to stock up on - although they don’t go through it terribly rapidly - well, I can’t really say that authoritatively, because I only use them now when the power is out.

there are so many things to consider if things ever went south that you could drive yourself crazy. some type of refrigeration would come in handy for food storage applications. i think being able to charge small radios and rechargeable batteries, along with safe lights, would be the biggest advantage to electricity. do you need it to survive…no, but it sure would make things easier. alot of preppers over at survival blog seem to think that a 1900’s sustenance type living would be how survivors would live after the surplus resources of our society ran out. That is all good, but those old timers had skills that most people don’t have nowadays. I remember the first time i started my garden. I started too late and didn’t get the soil quite right. I ended up growing miniature vegetables. It took me three seasons to get it right, and things could always get better. This year I could have a hail storm or infestation that kills most of my plants. it is an annoyance to me now, but it could be life or death in a survival scenario. The more resources and force multipliers you have the better.