Ideas for grilling

I love grilling on the weekends, and I grill the usual stuff…burgers, dogs, sausages, steak, once in blue moon tuna steaks. If anyone has anything else that might be interesting to throw on the grill please share.

Well my favorite thing to grill is Beer Can or Drunk Chicken. (We call it Beer But chicken around here)
Yummers!!

How exactly do you do that? Don’t tell me I gotta get a chicken drunk and then throw it on the grill :awkward:

Well the way I do it is pretty simple…let’s see if I can explain it though???

first open a can of beer and drink about half of it!!
then take the top off of the can with a can opener
next I coat a whole chicken with a BBQ rub and sprinkle a bit in the can of beer.
also to the can of beer I add about half a lime sqeezed and throw in the rinds along with a couple cloves of garlic chopped in half…I think that is it sometimes I might do it a little different but those are the basics.
Then you set the Chicken up on the beer can and put on the grill until done.
hince the name Beer Butt Chicken!!

Yummers!!

Damn that looks good!..my wife is going to think I’m crazy when she see’s me doing that :eek:

But it is soooo yummy and the beer is mostly there to keep the chicken moist and juicy!!

Let me get this straight. Drink half a beer then shove the can up a chickens butt?

One more question on this…how long do I leave the chicken for, I’m horrible at timing chicken, I always think it is undercooked.

Isn’t that the pic Jmack used to have for his avatar?

Its good…

The only problem is talking the chicken into the idea… I suggest roofies…

That would be the one! :grin: And that chicken in the pic was one that jmack cooked a while back.

I usually leave it on for about and hour to and hour and a half…you might want to cover it with foil if it starts to get too black…another thing that I have started to do lately is baste the outside with a thin bbq sauce toward the end of the cooking time.

**The BBQ Bible Cookbook says to cook the chicken 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours and until it is 180 degrees on a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh.

It’s ALL about the internal temperature; especially with chicken. At least that’s always been my primary concern (and chicken and pork ribs are the favorites at our house). I gotta break down and try that beer-butt stuff.

Angel, I also never baste it with BBQ sauce until about 5 or 10 minutes prior to removing it; otherwise it just burns big-time.

It is best to catch the chicken before you drink the beer.
Be sure you lubricate the can, too.:whistle:

This particular thread has not been active for a while so I thought i would add something new to the mix. I marinate 'T’Bone or sirloin in Sangria for about 6 hrs and grille 10min per side, with a potato salad made with spring onions, olive and olive oil, with a grilled zuchini for veggie.

[LIST]
[] 1/4 cup olive oil
[
] 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
[] 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
[
] 1/4 cup soy sauce
[] 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
[
] 2 teaspoons minced garlic
[*] salt and pepper to taste
[/LIST]
If I make a flank,or top sirloin, I use the marinade above. Rib Eyes, T-Bones, etc, only need salt and pepper.
I like to grill Yukon Gold potatoes, and Red onions and make a Grilled potato salad.
Any Veggie will do, from that point.

This isn’t a recipe, but it’s a good practice to follow, especially since I didn’t a week or two ago.

If you have trouble getting the charcol to get going, don’t squirt enormous quantities of lighter fluid on and strike a match. If the fluid isn’t igniting, it’s vaporizing, and it will go off starting at the match in your hand and singe your hair and eyebrows and the hairs on your arm and give you first degree burns on your wrist…

yes, I would guess you learned a valuable lesson.

I use a charcoal chimney to start my coals. Cost me 19 bucks, and I use no fluid, so none of my food ever smells like kerosene.