If homosexuality is OK, why is incest wrong?

Incest is for hicks. That’s the stereotype among educated liberals: Homosexuality is urbane, polygamy is for Mormons, and incest is for hayseeds. So when David Epstein, a Columbia University political scientist, was charged last week with third-degree incest for allegedly shagging his adult daughter, the blogosphere erupted. Conservatives called it another sign of moral chaos. Liberals said it was gross but shouldn’t be prosecuted. One side defends the privacy of all consensual sex; the other side sees an inexorable descent from homosexuality to incest.

The David Epstein incest case: If homosexuality is OK, why is incest wrong? - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Outside of what I consider obvious reasons incense weakens the family and creates problems with health. Years ago if you wanted to get married you had to have blood tests but as aids became more prevalent the homosexuals made an outcry that it was unfair. Last I heard, blood tests are no longer required.

I assume you meant, “incest”; not “inscence”.
When I married in '84 in Florida, I didn’t need a blood test. Nor did I in AR in '92 when I married the 2nd time.
There are currently only 4 states that require one, and it’s not, (as I preconceivedly thought), to see if you are related. It’s to see if you have a communicable disease with some, but not all.
Marriage License Laws Blood Test Requirements > by State
And if adults who are related want to have sex, gross as the idea is to me, whose business is it of anyone’s but the adults who choose to engage in such behavior?

[quote=“2cent, post:2, topic:28595”]
I assume you meant, “incest”; not “inscence”.
When I married in '84 in Florida, I didn’t need a blood test. Nor did I in AR in '92 when I married the 2nd time.
There are currently only 4 states that require one, and it’s not, (as I preconceivedly thought), to see if you are related. It’s to see if you have a communicable disease with some, but not all.
Marriage License Laws Blood Test Requirements > by State
And if adults who are related want to have sex, gross as the idea is to me, whose business is it of anyone’s but the adults who choose to engage in such behavior?
[/quote]You are right, I did not catch that when I did spell check. Back when I got married it was to check for relationship to each other and communicable diseases were not even in the equation, at least that was my impression at the time.

I see the law still does not allow marriage among family unless certain criteria is met.

Sam, if it was a test to see if you were related to one another, that, I imagine, would take a DNA test, which did not exist, or would be very expensive or take a very lengthy amount of time, in the day and age your were married.

Good point

I was going to Google if “incest is illegle”, but don’t want that stored in my computer. Gross as the very idea is to me, I don’t think it is; for consenting adults, I mean. Back in the day, as far as blood tests for marriages go, it was to check if you had VD.
Now a’days, I imagine most would consider that ‘an invasion of privacy’. Which, btw, beyond law enforcement searching your private home/vehicle w/o a warrant, does not exist in the Constitution.

Incest and polygamy isn’t necessarily heterosexual.

How could incest be wrong ? After all obama has screwed all of us.

Cuz’, Darlin’, I promise ya, he AIN’T family! :biggrin:

Whoever said it was? :confused:

haven’t you heard? INcest is not wrong any longer. Just recently a university professor/huffpo blogger was accused of having sex with his daughter since she was about eighteen years old. That information provided to show that they were adults. They were defended by leftist posters. It’s none of anyone’s business what they do as adults, who cares yada yada. it is morally wrong and it has the ultimate goal of destroying society from the inside…which i might add is exactly the goal of anarchists who just happen to be on the left side of the spectrum. Incest produces unfortunate results for future generations.

if incest becomes acceptable then whose to say adults need to wait till their child is eighteen. Why not introduce baby girl/boy to the practice when they toddlers? oh hell. why bother.

Oh, for crying out loud. I never said incest isn’t morally wrong. I simply said it wasn’t illegal; and it isn’t. And I don’t want the gov’t declairing bedroom prinicples for adults behind closed doors. It’s none of my darned business.
—legally speaking, I mean. If were someone were to privately disclose such info to me, I’d ‘privately’ let them know what I thought of it.

Consenting adults. Do what you want. Though if they plan on having kids that when someone needs to step in…

I wasn’t addressing anyone in particular in my post.:awkward:

But what is ‘morally wrong’? And is it REALLY okay for people to do with their bodies what they wish as long as they don’t hurt another person? If we can’t have some kind of consensus on this then perhaps it is the end of our society after all. Doesn’t the government already tell you what you can do with your body? And aren’t they set to tell us even more on what we can and can’t do? And is it SEX that is the most important freedom that we have? Would smoking, drugging be considered areas that we don’t allow the gov’t to interfere with?

Actually, I think incest is illegal - that is, when it comes to marriage, close relatives are not permitted to marry. Perhaps some of these laws have rescinded, but generally, relationship must be more distant than a first cousin.

[quote=“Susanna, post:15, topic:28595”]
Actually, I think incest is illegal - that is, when it comes to marriage, close relatives are not permitted to marry. Perhaps some of these laws have rescinded, but generally, relationship must be more distant than a first cousin.
[/quote]I was reading the Illinois law and it said first cousins can marry providing they are over 50 but now with the fertility drugs I do not know.

Illinois Marriage License Information – How to Get Married in Illinois

Growing up in CT in the ‘60’s, I new 2 first cousins my parents’ age who were married. The woman was not at all very bright. And, yes, they went on to have 2 retarded daughters. One would think it a sad situation, but any time I was at their home, (sporadically), it was neat as a pin, and they seemed a happy enough bunch. Still, I didn’t think it ‘right’.
Anyway, my point was that I was surprised that couple pulled it off in the '60’s in CT.

Caroline, I’m sorry. No matter how tired I am of others putting words in my mouth, you never have, and I had no right to take it out on you. You’ve never been anything but a friend to me.

But what is ‘morally wrong’? And is it REALLY okay for people to do with their bodies what they wish as long as they don’t hurt another person? If we can’t have some kind of consensus on this then perhaps it is the end of our society after all. Doesn’t the government already tell you what you can do with your body? And aren’t they set to tell us even more on what we can and can’t do? And is it SEX that is the most important freedom that we have? Would smoking, drugging be considered areas that we don’t allow the gov’t to interfere with?

Smoking is definately an area where the gov’t should have no business. Other drugs, I’m a little iffy on. The FDA could play a role in assuring us that pharmaceuticals are safe, but considering the number of ads for class-action law suits, it doesn’t appear they’ve been doing their job. Makes one wonder why the pharmaceutical companies have to go to such lengths and expense to bring a new drug to the market.
As far as what’s okay for peopel to do with their own bodies goes, I’d far prefer to see people have a backbone and shun, rather than bring the gov’t into it.

Incest is for hicks. That’s the stereotype among educated liberals: Homosexuality is urbane, polygamy is for Mormons, and incest is for hayseeds.

That is the attitude that liberals tend to have.

Newsvine - Columbia University professor, HuffPo blogger, and Palin critic charged with incest

Incest, it aint for hicks anymore