Illinois NRA, Let CTA riders carry guns.

NRA: Let bus and L riders pack heat - Chicago Sun-Times

I don’t believe people who need public transportation to get around should be prohibited from exercising their constitutional right,” said lobbyist Todd Vandermyde, who later questioned the contradiction of a motorist being allowed to carry a gun in their vehicle but not a mass transit customer.
Total idiots. Just what we need, people carrying guns in extremley closed confined spaces. During Cubs and Sox games theres tons of drunken frat boy yayhoo’s causing trouble on the Red and Brown lines. Loaded guns on a cramped un-airconditioned “packed like a sardine in a can” train car with a bunch a drunk-ass Cubs fans is as stupid as you can get.

The murderous thugs already do, so why should their intended victims be forbidden to defend themselves?

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:2, topic:38307”]
The murderous thugs already do, so why should their intended victims be forbidden to defend themselves?
[/quote] I ride the CTA quite a bit during warm weather. I’ve seen my fair share of drunken fist fights between drunken, too much testosterone Cubs fans. Five guys slugging it out in whats essentially a cattle car. Add some guns to that mix of Bud light and bravado and little Ricki who’s accompanying his folks to the Cubs game runs the risk of getting hit in crossfire. Pulling a gun on a standing room only crowded train where there’s elbows in your face isn’t realistic and is plain idiotic idea.

Oh yes, how idiotic it would be to follow the constitution and allow people to carry thier weapons.

Your crime rates haven’t been affected by the gun laws y’all already have. Might be time to rethink your strategy.

Conversely, not carrying protection from those drunken frat boys is about as stupid as you can get.

Being a Cubs fan is about as stupid as you can get already. Living in Chicago is getting right up there too.
Preventing people from being able to protect themselves is absolutely as stupid as you can get.

[quote=“JStang, post:4, topic:38307”]
Oh yes, how idiotic it would be to follow the constitution and allow people to carry thier weapons.

Your crime rates haven’t been affected by the gun laws y’all already have. Might be time to rethink your strategy.
[/quote] The constitution says carry guns on public transportation? shootings don’t happen on Chicago public transportation. The crime that’s happening is in the streets of chicago, rarely on Chicago CTA/METRA. There’s already CPD and gaurdian angels riding CTA/METRA and they have a highly visible presence. I’m all for carrying a blade, I carry one myself. But guns in a cattle car dont work.

The cubs have fans? Who knew?

Guardian Angels eh? They follow you home? Like the CPD right? They do such a great job protecting everyone up there everywhere else.
You can’t fit a cop in a holster. Do these Guardian Angels fit?

No thanks. If there is anyone with any common sense in that state, they’ll sue to have these stupid laws removed, all the way to the SCOTUS.

I actually know one. Oh wait, not Cubs, Bears… Nevermind.

Chicago is such a perfect example of why gun laws do not work. The fact that someone who actually lives there cannot see this is outstanding.

[quote=“JStang, post:10, topic:38307”]
I actually know one. Oh wait, not Cubs, Bears… Nevermind.
[/quote] The White Sox fans that ride the Red line act like yayhoo’s too, just as much so. The bottom line is that your not going to pull a gun out when you cant even move your arms in a cramped EL car. It’s the same scene during rush hour when commuters are traveling to work. You dont have enough wiggle room to grab your Cell phone or a book, much less a pistol.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but wouldn’t you have to walk the Chicago streets, which you stated is where all the crime happens in Chicago, to get to the CTA? So by saying that people can’t carry on the public transit, you are also saying that people can’t protect themselves once they get of the transit and onto the crime infested streets again. This is a situation where personal accountability comes in. If you carry a gun, you should be more cognisent of what you are doing at all times. I highly doubt that those guys that are carrying will be engaging in the drunken fistfights that are apparently so rampant that its an every train ride occurance.

You could also move out of the worst city in the world, where you are not considered adult enough to control your own actions, to any other of the thousands of nice, safe cities where you are treated like an adult capable of intelligent thought. Just saying…

[quote=“Seravee, post:11, topic:38307”]
Chicago is such a perfect example of why gun laws do not work. The fact that someone who actually lives there cannot see this is outstanding.
[/quote] You watch too many movies. Bullets don’t always hit their intended targets… And unlike the movies a bullet doesn’t always stop after someone is shot. It keeps going through the person and hitting whatever is on the other side. On a crowded EL car packed with 200 people, what do you think is going to happen? The highly increased possibility of crossfire on someones daily commute is not something they should have to contend with. The reality is a complicated thing where the easiest answer doesn’t always make the most sense.

I bow to you sir…

Sorry but I do not deal in what ifs. DO you even know the difference between Hollow point bullets and FMJs? Do you know who commits crimes…Criminals!!! You never hear of Cowboys fans shooting each other up or Texans fans getting into fights and shooting up a place here in Texas and guess what they are all in the crowded city. You argument holds no weight unless the citizens of Chicago are a bunch of incompetent fools that cannot understand the dangers of a gun. You need to stop treating everyone like a child.

Bowing is not neccessary. (I’m not a pretentious self-important government elite) A simple high-five works for me.

[quote=“thejoshb, post:13, topic:38307”]
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but wouldn’t you have to walk the Chicago streets, which you stated is where all the crime happens in Chicago, to get to the CTA? So by saying that people can’t carry on the public transit, you are also saying that people can’t protect themselves once they get of the transit and onto the crime infested streets again. This is a situation where personal accountability comes in. If you carry a gun, you should be more cognisent of what you are doing at all times.** I highly doubt that those guys that are carrying will be engaging in the drunken fistfights that are apparently so rampant that its an every train ride occurance. **
You could also move out of the worst city in the world, where you are not considered adult enough to control your own actions, to any other of the thousands of nice, safe cities where you are treated like an adult capable of intelligent thought. Just saying…
[/quote] Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn’t. However all of that Bud light that these people suck down at the baseball games causes them to use poor judgement on public transportation, Picking fights, breaking bottles, even urinating on the train… Tempers are nutty during the summer on the CTA and If a situation ever arose where some law abiding citizen pulled a gun and on the CTA for whatever reason and fired, there is the highest probability that unintended targets would get shot. In close confined spaces like on these EL cars and busses a knife or a black jack would be a better bet

Do you really think that just because a person is allowed to carry a gun that everyone just rushes out to get one and a CHL? I could take a poll of the town I live in and maybe a 1/4 of them will have the CHL and I live in a more rural area. Your fear of guns is unreasonable and illogical.

[quote=“Seravee, post:19, topic:38307”]
Do you really think that just because a person is allowed to carry a gun that everyone just rushes out to get one and a CHL? I could take a poll of the town I live in and maybe a 1/4 of them will have the CHL and I live in a more rural area. Your fear of guns is unreasonable and illogical.
[/quote] I own a gun. I like shooting guns, however I personally feel that there are public places where it is idiotic to carry a gun. Stock pile them in your house, shoot them in your backyard. but dont carry one in a cramped EL car.

House Speaker Michael Madigan (D-Chicago) received a letter last week signed by leaders of the Chicago Transit Authority, Regional Transportation Authority, Metra and Pace, saying that permitting mass-transit users to carry guns on public transportation is dangerous and could lead to “catastrophic” results.

“The issue is that you’re dealing with a confined space where the public expects some safety,” Jordan Matyas, the Regional Transportation Authority’s chief of staff, told the Sun-Times. “This is just going to lead to problems, and it will lead to what we believe is a lack of security and safety and possibly reduce ridership.”