Illinois raise taxes 75%

Right now in the state congress there is an effort to raise income taxes by 75%. The state is in debt for $14 billion and although it has had both democrat and republican leaders the state has done its best to drive businesses away with taxes and rules coupled with fees and paperwork that has made some businesses in the state leave.

There are those politicians who claim they will fight this but knowing Illinois as I do the likelihood is the taxes will be increased.

As with politics everywhere, while the politicians talk about poverty they still want to pursue things like high speed rail and other pet projects which questions their sincerity as to reduce debt.

One pet project that politicans have wanted, for what seems forever, is another airport in which the airlines want nothing to do with.

Illinois Lawmakers Propose 75 Percent Income Tax Hike « CBS Chicago – Breaking News, Sports, Weather, Traffic, and the Best of Chicago

In the article it talks about temporary taxes but as I well know the last time they pulled that once the tax was enacted it became permanent.

Sounds like California, hang on.

All those “temporary taxes” never go away here.

Skipping the article for the moment, let me guess:
They’re talking 75% so that the voters will be applauding them for only raising the tax 50%.
Right?
…and then they’ll claim they cut taxes. :biggrin:

(Btw, Sam, I heard that IL dropped it’s plans for that high-speed rail. Not true?)

[quote=“2cent, post:3, topic:28798”]
Skipping the article for the moment, let me guess:
They’re talking 75% so that the voters will be applauding them for only raising the tax 50%.
Right?
(Btw, Sam, I heard that IL dropped it’s plans for that high-speed rail. Not true?)
[/quote]Not as far as I know because the last I heard they are still pursuing it.

Illinois Lays Out High Speed Rail Vision | EarthTechling

Twenty miles of rail line between Chicago to St. Louis will be upgraded to 110-mph service by 2012 under an agreement announced between the federal government, Union Pacific, Amtrak and the state of Illinois. That’s a small portion of the planned 284-mile connection, but it will put Illinois in the lead in pursuing the Obama administration’s high-speed rail vision.

In January 2010, the administration awarded Illinois more than $1.2 billion in federal stimulus funds for high-speed passenger rail projects in the state, including corridor improvements on the route from Chicago to St. Louis. In September, Illinois announced the beginning of upgrades on a 90-mile segment at the south end of the line, between Alton and Lincoln. With the latest agreement, the state said, construction will continue in early spring from just south of Lincoln to Dwight, about 80 miles southwest of Chicago. But in 2012, only a small segment between Pontiac and Dwight will have the new, enhanced grade crossing warning protection necessary to handle the faster trains.

Thanks, Sam.
So, to pay for this track, they’re going to raise taxes 75%, leaving people with no money for the fares!..
…to ride a train with an unusually high percentages of wrecks that never makes a profit.
Wherever do they come UP with these geniuses?!

I think they breed them …

Speaking of businesses that have been forced out by Illinois taxes and anti-business policies, I am losing my job along with 50 hard working people because the company is moving from Illinois to Indiana. Oh joy.

This is sad. How much more stupid can the Dems in IL get?

See California…

Maybe Sam knows the answer, but I wonder how many people are exempt from the tax being raised.

As we all know at least 40% of Americans are exempt from the federal income tax and I’m sure will have no problem raising said tax on the rest of us **if **given the oportunity.

A large segment of the population having “no skin in the game” but able to vote to tax the other segment is a scary thought.

I’m sorry, achi. :sad: I hope you have good luck finding a new one.

Thanks. No luck so far and the job is up on the 28th. I am not even sure how to get unemployment.

That stinks!

Is your employer offering transfers for their move to IN? If so, they usually pay for some/all of your moving expenses.

I take it you’re on one end of Illinois, and the business is moving to the opposite side of Indiana? (Well, it does make a difference. Some would say, ‘Big whoop. IL and IN are right next to each other. Commute’. Until they realized just how long a drive that ‘commute’ might take, that is.)
Anyway, wish you the best. What type of field are you in, if you don’t mind my asking?