I'm sick of all these so-called "eco friendly" products

They don’t do nearly as good of a job at performing tasks nor are they as durable as the old models.

An example for me would be CLR. When I was a kid in the 90s, I loved using CLR b/c it would get rid of the rust stains in my shower. Last time I used the new “Green” CLR formula to clean my shower, it didn’t get the rust stains out of my shower.

Another one is when I was consulting about switching over to a tankless water heater. While it does use less energy to heat water than a tank water heater, the tankless water heater keeps going 24/7, which increases your energy bill and it doesn’t bring in hot water if your electricity goes out since it also connects to electricity. My water heater uses gas and at least when the power goes out, I still have hot water.

I will say that I love my new dishwasher. It’s a Bosch model with a stainless steel tub. I can even fit my biggest pots and pans inside of it. It also really cleans my dishes and I can’t even hear the dishwasher going unless I put my ear up to it. My old dishwasher was a GE and it didn’t clean my dishes nearly as well. Especially on the top rack.

These green and eco-friendly products tend to be a rip-off.

So don’t buy them.

Unfortunately the market is decreasing when it comes to these traditional products, which is not making me happy.

Yeah, it seems that every time you find something that really works, it is either discontinued or “improved” to be less effective.

Tell me about it.

Hey older members, remember the “Shell No Pest Strip”? If you had one, you never saw a fly. Then, they were just, gone.

Never used them; but how about DDT? The harm it supposedly did to bird eggs was happening long before it was introduced, and the discontinuation of it has caused far greater incidences of malaria in areas that are prone to it.

[quote=“Susanna, post:7, topic:31304”]
Never used them; but how about DDT? The harm it supposedly did to bird eggs was happening long before it was introduced, and the discontinuation of it has caused far greater incidences of malaria in areas that are prone to it.
[/quote]I never used them myself as well.

Here’s another product that uses the same active ingredient as Shell No Pest Strip:

Buy Hot Shot No-Pest Strip Online at drugstore.com

I’ve tried those things before and I love them. They really help get rid of the flies in my house.

We haven’t had a lot of flies in our house in recent years, but they used to be bad when we lived in farming (livestock) areas. I’m a bit surprised that the deer don’t make a difference here. Just saw about 8 of them in our yard a few minutes ago.

I agree that most of the “Green” products are junk. Low flow toilets, give me a break. You gotta flush them twice. There is a good one though. Simply Green is a pretty good cleaner. We use it at work and it does get the grime out of the trucks.

I also hate low flow toilets and HE washers and dryers. I hate front end washing machines. They don’t clean your clothes as well and they grow mold and mildew inside of them.

I still have my old school traditional top end washing machine with an agitator.

Yup, front loaders are crap.

And it’s going to keep decreasing for as long as you keep buying these crappy eco-products.

I don’t buy them in the first place.

But sometimes some of the stuff you have been getting “turns” green. And sometimes, you don’t even have a choice.

Then what is the problem? If you don’t like something, don’t buy it. Nobody is forcing you to get CLR for your rust stains. I’m quite sure there are plenty of suitable alternatives on the market. If the new CLR really doesn’t do what its supposed to, customers will quit using it in droves and move to a better product.

That’s the free market for you.

How do you not even have a choice? If you’ve been using X product for 20 years and it no longer works the same as it did 20 years ago, then move to Y product. In a nation that has Wal-Marts, Targets, and grocery stores everywhere along with ready access to the Internet, there is absolutely no reason to stick yourself to inferior goods.

What of incandescent bulbs? You have to go to Canada to buy a toilet that uses over 1.6 gpf. How about this.

**Energy Department Says It Has ‘Mandate’ to Force ‘Market Transformation’ for Household Appliances **

Assistant Secretary of Energy Cathy Zoi said Thursday that the U.S. Department of Energy has a “mandate” to issue regulations that will determine what household appliances are available to Americans in the future.

Friday, September 17, 2010
By Penny Starr

Standards for 10 additional categories of products are expected to be finalized by the end of next year, according to a DOE spokeswoman. These will include new standards for refrigerators, microwave ovens, residential and mobile home furnaces, fluorescent light ballasts, residential clothes washers and dryers, room and central air conditioners, and battery chargers.

“We’re going to update [the standards] more frequently” said Zoi. “We have the power to do that in the statute.”

Before becoming President Barack Obama’s assistant secretary of energy for energy efficiency and renewable energy, Zoi served as environmental adviser to President Bill Clinton and the founding CEO of former Vice President Al Gore’s Alliance for Climate Protection.

Energy Department Says It Has

[quote=“candygirl, post:12, topic:31304”]
I also hate low flow toilets and HE washers and dryers. I hate front end washing machines. They don’t clean your clothes as well and they grow mold and mildew inside of them.

I still have my old school traditional top end washing machine with an agitator.
[/quote]I became interested when you spoke of front load washers so I looked up complaints and apparently there are a few people who hate these machines because they do not do the job or have a smell and the manufacturers do not want to take care of the problems.