Impact of COVID-19 on economy/election

Nope, it’s slowing:

But you’re predicting an unrealistic continuation.

This is what it more likely looks like:

A quick rise means a quick burn out. This is again something we see pathogens do.

Coronavirus only looks shocking out of context. In context with other disease, we know what its course will be.

That statement implies a level of certainty that I dont believe is warranted. Sooner or later you get a pathogen that doesn’t behave the way the historical models would suggest can be expected. Is this the one? Probably not. I’m not panicking, nor buying into the hype and hysteria, but due dilligence requires that new pathogens get more attention than a wink and a nod.

“Know” is just too absolute. More like “can reasonably expect”

The only things we know about this virus is that it spreads much more easily that the “regular flu,” and that it is probably 10 times as deadly, especially among the elderly. Beyond that, it’s guess work, and with this thing, nothing to be taken lightly.

My brother-in-law is retired executive from one of America’s leading food processers. He is a board member on a couple of publicly held corporations. He said to us yesterday that he thinks the government knows more than it is telling us. I take that is a significant observation.

As for the election. both sides need to tread softly. I think that Trump as done what he can, but the course of the illness and the economy are out of his control.

The stock markets have gone nuts and are over reacting in my opinion. They are becoming part of the problem.

The Democrats are obstructionists but are trying to stay under the radar. The news media will help them in that effort.

The worst of the Democrats, which probably includes Pelosi, Schumer and “the Squad,” would love to see this blowup and kill millions. That might give them control of the government. They don’t care about us at all. To them it’s an opportunity to expand government and grab power.

If we heard a more conciliatory tone from them, I would feel differently. The trouble is they hate Trump so much they can not be helpful, not even in a crisis.

I’m older and have seen too much to get excited over this.

1 Like

Oughta listen to Rush today. You never hear the death rate in this country. And there’s a reason for that. IT’s like THIRTY NINE? and 26 of those were in a nursing home in Washington STate?

Guys. This is political. NOT a health issue. ALTHOUGH it was a brilliant decision for the president to stop air travel from China…and to stop travel from Europe to this country for the next 30 days. EVERYTHING this president does turns out to be the RIGHT THING. I know. Some of you don’t like that but it is the truth.

We are a nation of Cowards. The world is laughing at us!! WHERE is the American Spirit?? GOOD GRIEF!

mass graves in Iran of coronavirus shrine licking victims. Visible from space too.

Because the WHO is now in China (they weren’t at first) and are tracking the virus’s progression.

When we examine lethality of the disease overtime, this is what they report:

Overseas cases are ~40% of those being reported, and even they are becoming more mild overtime.

Know what the impact of this should be? SHOULD BE. Stop depending on China OF ALL PLACES for our meds!! GOOD GRIEF… Do you realize that they were contemplating stopping providing us with meds when the president put the trade tariffs on THEM??

WE NEED our pharmaceuticals BACK HOME IN OUR OWN COUNTRY. And if this doesn’t happen? it will be because of the damn democrats.

and China is contemplating it AGAIN…3/13/20

1 Like

So far as China is concerned, “trust but verify,” is best you can say about them. When they threaten to cut off our drugs, you can see what their government is. It’s too bad that we are at their mercy for drugs.

It was a foolish idea. WE know that right off the bat. HOw come our politicians can’t see the folly in doing such a thing?

There was no politics in this decision.

The only thing politicians weighed in was to open up the drug market to generics, and not blocking China’s entry into the WTO.

Markets and pricing took care of the rest.

If it’s cheap, or an input of some kind, and you need it en masse, it makes all the sense in the world to produce it in China and India. (And Puerto Rico as it turns out).

In addition, many of the active ingredients can only be grown in Asia to begin with (without the use of capital-heavy methods like green houses). The manufacturing then is close to its own inputs.

Still cant be certain what its course will be like. According to the chinese cdc (via NIH), covid 19’s CFR in china was 2.3 % overall, 6.3% among individuals with chronic respiratory disease. Worse than flu in the short term, but flu has killed orders of magnitude more over time, and we can reasonably expect that trend will continue. But we dont KNOW that. We still need to practice due diligence.

2 Likes

Everything is political. How many of our elite politicians made money on that deal.

Follow the $$ you’ll change your mind on the politics of it.

This is a virus like every other virus…the only difference is that the media and the left see a potential to take out this president. They also encourage violence against this president as if we wouldn’t notice. As if we’re gonna sit still and take it. Everytime this president has been attacked by evil he has won. Everytime this president makes a decision that the left claims is harmful to America/Americans, this president has been shown to be right…more than right.

Pray for this president daily. Pray for continued wisdom and cunning. Pray that the forces of evil are kept at bay and this president makes this nation great again and for victory in 2020.

1 Like

Politics.

State-run Chinese Media Hints It Could Cut Off Meds To US, Plunge America Into ‘Mighty Sea Of Coronavirus’

We said this when they tried to control what was being said about Hong Kong. We need to cut the cord.

Via Fox News:

Now that the number of new people infected with the coronavirus in China is slowing down, the country’s Communist Party is ratcheting up threats against the West, with a particularly nasty warning about access to life-saving drugs aimed at the United States.

In an article in Xinhua, the state-run media agency that’s largely considered the mouthpiece of the party, Beijing bragged about its handling of COVID-19, a virus that originated in the city of Wuhan and has spread quickly around the world, killing nearly 5,000 people and infecting thousands more. The article also claimed that China could impose pharmaceutical export controls which would plunge America into “the mighty sea of coronavirus.”

The disturbing threats made during a global pandemic as well as the scary consequences if that threat becomes real highlight just how tight China’s grip is on the global supply chain. Already, the Food and Drug Administration has announced the first drug shortage related to the coronavirus. Though it did not disclose which drug was in short supply, the FDA did say it could not access enough raw components needed because they are made in China.

1 Like

I think Rush Limbaugh has performed an invaluable service to our country by putting political things in proper perspective over many years.

However, he keeps insisting covid-19 is only a political problem, and primarily being reported as an attack on President Trump.

He also calls this the 19th coronavirus. The “19” actually comes from 2019, the year it first infected humans. I understand that it’s actually the seventh variation of coronavirus to infect humans. Oh, now I just heard him correct himself. Ignorance certainly doesn’t help him make his case. Fortunately it’s rare for him.

He compares the 40 covid-19 deaths so far with the 18,000 deaths due to swine flu. He said the swine flu “dwarfs what’s happening today.” He’s totally ignoring the R0 (R naught), which measures how easily it is transmitted from one person to another. The death count has the potential to soar to horrible heights.

Covid-19 spreads much more readily than the swine flu. That’s why so many nations are taking draconian measures and shutting everything down. It’s ten times as deadly as the flu in the best case. If the hospitals overflow (a very real possibility–see Alaska Slim’s diagram above), it could become fifty times as deadly.

Rush is right that the media is using it as a weapon to hurt the president (what don’t they use?), but he’s totally missing the real danger. His error is probably causing good people to ignore the threat and not take reasonable precautions.

because it is political @Ken Jackson. I have no doubt that covid 19 is a virus. But look at the numbers. SWINE FLU far outdid this virus. OUR own flu season has affected more, and more have died this flu season and there is no hand wringing over that.

This is an opportunity for the media because they have failed in every other scheme.

and I don’t need Rush to tell me this. I SEE IT. This is BS. OUR schools have closed over this. ONE Freakin’ alleged positive and all the county and city schools have CLOSED. WHAT a bunch of IDIOTS!!

Of course the county I live in is blue and they are more than willing to do their part to destroy this president. There is no TP to be found. What a bunch of dummasses.

1 Like

That’s the error. The Swine flu pandemic is over. But Covid-19 is just getting warmed up.