Include Thread Instruction In New Member Guide

I think it might be a good idea to ask members to actually say something in the threads they start, we have a growing number of members who just start threads that include nothing but a link to an article or a Youtube.

These might as well just be commercials, if the said article or Youtube did not impress the thread starter enough to voice any opinion about it then why would they think anybody else would want to bother checking it out?

I usually response to someone who is not on my ignore lost. Those that are I already know what they will say. The content will be the usual BS that has been dispoven over and over or some kid taking a pot shot and if I respond I get the infraction while the poster goes free.

Actually, I agree RET. If the article in question doesn’t elicit an opinion from the poster that they can share, then it isn’t worth having on the site.

I’ll make this a policy.

Yeah, especially when it is a link to a You-tube. It has nothing for us dial-up cripples to respond to.

I agree up to a point. I always add context to my threads. However, when I write a long essay/article about a topic like liberal bias or something in the libertarian crazy world, People DON’T READ THE WHOLE THING!!! So, I guess you need to be careful about how much info you put into your OP.

Excellent… Hannityland has this policy as well. Any threads with just a link get deleted. You must at least have a synopsis of the content.

This is true, too, but it’s nothing like what we’re talking about. We’re concerned with new threads with nothing but a link. If the person has any reason to post it, they can at least, as mentioned above, give a synopsis, then people can decide whether or not they want to look at it.

Maybe, for some of your longer posts, it might be a better idea to blog them? People expect more reading from a blog than a post. I don’t even read 100% of Jack Hectormann’s long posts, even though I enjoy them.

[quote=“Susanna, post:7, topic:36560”]
This is true, too, but it’s nothing like what we’re talking about. We’re concerned with new threads with nothing but a link. If the person has any reason to post it, they can at least, as mentioned above, give a synopsis, then people can decide whether or not they want to look at it.

Maybe, for some of your longer posts, it might be a better idea to blog them? People expect more reading from a blog than a post. I don’t even read 100% of Jack Hectormann’s long posts, even though I enjoy them.
[/quote]Yeah Jack is great, but he gets wordy sometimes. I guess when you’re as smart as he is, it’s easy to get deep into the weeds.

I keep seeing new threads with video only - we have a forum for “Just videos.” If you’re just going to post a video with no comment, post it there, and I’ll know not to waste my time clicking on it.

I agree.