Irish Stew...

It’s that time of year - throw yer best stew recipe out there!

We use this one from allrecipes.com and it’s pretty good:

[LIST]
[] 1 tablespoon olive oil
[
] 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
[] 1/2 teaspoon salt
[
] freshly ground black pepper to taste
[] 1 large onion, sliced
[
] 2 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
[] 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into large chunks (optional)
[
] 4 cups water, or as needed
[] 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
[
] 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
[] 1 cup coarsely chopped leeks
[
] chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)[/LIST] ** DIRECTIONS**

[LIST=1]

[] Heat oil over medium heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add lamb pieces and cook, stirring gently, until evenly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
[
] Add the onion, carrots, and parsnips and cook gently alongside the meat for a few minutes. Stir in the water. Cover and bring to a boil before turning the heat down to low. Simmer for 1 hour or longer, depending on the cut of meat you used and if it is tender yet.
[*] Stir in potatoes, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, before adding leeks and rosemary. Continue to simmer uncovered, until potatoes are tender but still whole. Serve piping hot in bowls garnished with fresh parsley. [/LIST]

I hate parsnips.

I love 'em. Turnips too :slight_smile:

Turnips are OK raw, but not cooked. I can also tolerate parsnips raw. My ex loved 'em, and I used to cook a mess up for him once in a while, boil 'em and then brown 'em in a skillet.

This sounds really good, but how does it taste if I skip the salt step?

Sounds good. I’ve never been able to fix lamb well…this might just be the ticket.

I expect it can be put together in the morning and then put in a crockpot on low until dinner time.

To my knowledge, never tasted a parship…how important is that to the flavor?

Maylar - can’t use sea salt, freshly ground?

Cutting my sodium intake for health reasons

I think sea salt is still ok for that…must be some online research on it if you miss the salt.

BTW, keep meaning to say I signed up for Carbonite largely due to your endorsement…so far I love it. No worries.

Peapod, do you have any good soup recipes for cold weather?

No, salt is salt. Sodium (Na+) is an essential electrolyte but also causes water retention leading to problems if you take in more than about 2300mg a day.

But cutting too severely causes problems too. Many cellular functions depend on sodium. Sea salt just cuts the iodine typically added to table salt.

I posted a vegetable beef recipe somewhere around here. I need to get back to making that since it’s cold again. We had a warm spell :stuck_out_tongue:

Stews are so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

You may find this relevant peapod.

Recommended sodium intake cut in half

The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of Sciences, issued a report that lowered the recommended daily amount of sodium. Previously, the daily allowance was 2500 milligrams, but it has been lowered to 1500 milligrams per day. The report set the maximum intake per day at 2300 milligrams but recommended not exceeding 1500 milligrams.

this has been a talking point for years in medicine.

as a reminder, salt is not bad. can’t have a heartbeat or nerve transmission without it. Same for Calcium, Potassium, blah blah blah

Too much of any good thing can be harmful.

I think we get too many instances of people basing things like this on extremes instead of common sense.

yurp!

Oh, I’ve seen several variations on Irish stew that add guiness, somre red wine, barley, etc.

These are fun to play with!

And I’ve been told that lamb makes it taste so much better than with beef.

I have a sister that reads up on a lot of “medical” stuff; she makes her own decisions about them, which are sometimes nonsense, but occasional sound. She read something about some doctor who said we should eliminate carbohydrates altogether from our diet!

This one, fortunately, she saw through.

Yeah, you need at minimum about 100g a day of carbs. Your brain gets food from glucose, not blood like other organisms, so eliminating all carbs forever is a pretty bad idea.

Everything in moderation. I’ve read up the basic levels on most of that stuff, so I’m doing my best. So far I feel great while still losing the weight. I should have done this a long time ago… I’m having random people notice the weight loss and ask me about it. They say I look great “now” and don’t understand why I’m doing it or think I don’t need to. I think to myself how badly most peoples diets are… and promptly ignore those people that say I needn’t bother.

I despise people who try to discourage you from bettering yourself, either in appearance or way of life. I remember this one lady who was extremely heavy, and although I didn’t know her at the time, a friend told me about once when she started losing weight, and someone said to her, “Oh, you looked better when you were fat!” and she gave up on it. In that case, I daresay it was someone who was uncomfortable with her looking different.

But I’m sure that in many cases, it’s jealousy. I encountered that when I was working in a factory and saving all my money (except minimal living expenses, of course) for college. They kept try to entice me to spend more money. Did you ever notice, if you’re on your way “up”, people you pass on the way will often try to drag you down, but many of those who are above you will reach down to help you up? I don’t mean socially speaking or snobbishness or anything like that - the ones who don’t like to see you pass them up are the snobbish ones, anyway.

I’ve experienced it once or twice, but it was a rarity. Personally I’ve seen more of the Dog eat Dog world. What I really hate is people that you help that turn around and stab you in the back.