Japan poised to shoot down North Korean missile

The Japanese government has ordered its military to shoot down the missile that is expected to be launched by North Korea as early as Monday.

The order to destroy the missile should any part of it threaten to fall onto Japanese territory was issued after a meeting of the Security Council of Japan met and was informed that North Korea has begun filling a fuel tank alongside the launch pad at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in preparation for the launch.

Japan poised to shoot down North Korean missile - Telegraph

Yessss siree under Obama the world has become a safer place. Oh I know what to do, send them a billion or two with their promise not to act aggressively. Looks like grandson is a chip off the old block. Little Kim still lives

It was launched today and seems to have been a success. According to a Russian source I read it overflew Okinawa, no order from Japanese command given to shoot it down. (translation)

KCNA (DPRK State news agency) says it successfully put the satellite into orbit, but that has not been confirmed independently. It seems all stages of the rocket functioned as planned. Edit: NORAD confirms the satellite achieved orbit.

North Korea’s new leader burnishes credentials with rocket | Reuters

North Korea followed what it said was a similar successful launch in 2009 with a nuclear test that prompted the United Nations Security Council to stiffen sanctions against Pyongyang that it originally imposed in 2006 after the North’s first nuclear test.

The state is banned from developing nuclear and missile-related technology under U.N. resolutions, although Kim Jong-un, the youthful head of state who took power a year ago, is believed to have continued the state’s “military first” programs put into place by his deceased father Kim Jong-il.

After Wednesday’s launch, which saw the second stage of the rocket splash down in seas off the Philippines as planned, Japan’s U.N. envoy called for a Security Council meeting. However, diplomats say further tough sanctions are unlikely to be agreed at the body as China, the North’s only major ally, will oppose them.

The rocket was launched just before 10 a.m. Korea time (9 p.m. ET on Tuesday), according to defense officials in South Korea and Japan, and easily surpassed a failed April launch that flew for less than two minutes.

I’m still baffled by the fact that people believe these “rogue states” (read: states that don’t conform to US hegemony) would sign their own death warrant by investing what little resources they have into nuclear weapons and then using them on militarily far superior powers (or on anyone for that matter, as any nuclear explosion outside of its own territory would mean a US response). Nuclear weapons give the dictator an almost foolproof guarantee that his nation won’t become the US’ next target, so he can continue to rule and live the high life- they are there as a deterrent.

Ha, was it successful, or did they just say so? It wouldn’t be the first time.

DPRK doesn’t use any sense; they think they are bigger and more powerful than they are. How many states (Iran, eg) keep threatening the US? And they have attacked us peripherally from time to time. Not that we have the sense to put them in their place.

North Korea: the country WE would NEVER allow to have nuclear power, then a nuclear bomb, then a ballistic missile, then a Inter-Contential Ballistic Missile!

IRAN: ___________, _____________, ______________…

Historical performance is a good predictor of future actions…YOU THINK???

Super hypocritical to say that NK can’t launch a rocket when we launched an experimental rocket the day before they did. Haha give me a break…

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:5, topic:37426”]
Super hypocritical to say that NK can’t launch a rocket when we launched an experimental rocket the day before they did. Haha give me a break…
[/quote]We are not threatening to blow up our neighbors but that is irrevelvant to you. We do have international agreements that we have to abide by. Education is a wonderful thing-- use it

We are not threatening to blow up our own neighborhoods? No, that would be stupid. NK isn’t threatening to blow up their own neighborhoods either. You know what’s crazy? That NK has never killed anyone with a nuclear bomb.

Education is a wonderful thing–get some.

xoxo
-BOP

So North Korea who kills their own citizens for speaking critically of the government and maintains a solemn oath to eradicate South Korea and supports Terrorist organizations who attack and kill civilians around the world is the moral equivalent to the United States of America in the minds of our Extreme Left.

Is anyone surprised?

But I do notice that these traitors never leave the peace and security of the United States that they despise for a life with these monsters that they defend at every opportunity, hypocrisy is the only spiritual gift that the Extreme Left possesses.

Didn’t realize I applauded NK on their killing of their own civilians or their (as you claim) support of terrorist organizations. I just said it’s hypocritical to say they can’t fire a rocket when we fired one the day before they did.

PS our own county uses double tap drone strikes and kills civilians all the time, I suppose that’s justified though right? Because they’re Muslim and future terrorists and stuff? We even kill our own civilians.

Nah, I’m not gonna move to NK. I’m gonna stick around a few more years so you’re going to have to deal with a dissenting opinion and find a way to get over it, free speech and all ya know?

Wait don’t you live in one of the most liberal states in the country and you don’t move to a red state?

He said neighbors (as in South Korea), not neighborhoods. Nice dodge. Not really…

Reports say the satellite is tumbling.

In my opinion, we should tell North Korea to cut the crud and stop messing around or there’ll be consequences from South Korea and the United States. Heck, even China and Russia are having trouble defending North Korea and it’s crazy actions.

Thanks for correcting me. The mainpoint of my post was that I wasn’t supporting north korea’s human rights abuses. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the condemnation when we launched an experimental rocket the day before them.

We’re condemning them because their launches are thinly-veiled tests for weapon launches. The satellite isn’t even functioning, and it was reported to look like a washing machine covered in tin foil. Almost all experts are agreeing that the satellite is a ruse to test their rockets. North Korea is dangerous and antagonistic.

Sorry I do not see.

But then I suck up to dictatorships and praise them. And I got some really bad news for you, WE AIN’T NK, where 98% of the country is starving to death.

I have stood on the DMZ in Korea and stared into the faces of those communist bastards, one of my good buddies got killed there by them in a tree chopping incident…like most libs you got no stinkin idea of what you are talkin about.

[quote=“17Oaks, post:14, topic:37426”]
Sorry I do not see.

But then I suck up to dictatorships and praise them. And I got some really bad news for you, WE AIN’T NK, where 98% of the country is starving to death.

I have stood on the DMZ in Korea and stared into the faces of those communist bastards, one of my good buddies got killed there by them in a tree chopping incident…like most libs you got no stinkin idea of what you are talkin about.
[/quote]Honestly subjects like this come up every once in awhile and we see the same response no matter how much their answers are destroyed. I guess they think if they keep telling us what they perceive history is versus actual history and commitments we will forget and agree with them.

Libs LOVE to rewrite history. That man is a brutal dictator and yet the Libs will do anything to justify and love him…wait till bammy turns on them.

China and Russia issued purely symbolic and quite light condemnations of the launch, obligated to because they had not vetoed earlier decisions to restrict the DPRK from developing nuclear and ballistic missiles technology. China will definitely not agree to harsher actions in the UNSC and Russia probably won’t either.

I wouldn’t say its actions are crazy either. From a realist perspective in international relations theory, the DPRK is using the most effective and rational ways of survival- increasing their military power to the point that any aggression would carry too high a risk of Seoul being evaporated to be undertaken. Kim Jong Un is acting in accordance with rational choice theory. They know that the tests they are conducting are not enough to elicit a military response, but combined nuclear detonation and ICMB tests are enough to stop potential adversaries from attacking.

Yeah, poor peaceful North Korea is just worried about being invaded by evil nations like Japan, South Korea and the United States. [/sarcasm]

I wonder why all the world is not fighting to move to this Utopia of innocence and honorable intention that is North Korea?

I guess we are all just not as smart as the Extreme Left Communist’s, of course they are not packing for North Korea either.

North Korea has apologist’s around the world for the same reason as the “Palestinians” have apologist’s, both are a thorn to Nations that Communist’s despise.

Politics makes for strange bedfellows, evil in this case.

It’s easy to see that the communists here on RO are sympathetic to tyrannical communst regimes.

It was already pointed out to you that unlike NK, the U.S. doesn’t go around threatening everybody and their brother with war if we don’t get our own way.

I say nonsense. Nobody gave much of a rat’s butt about NK until they started pursuing nuke capability. If they want to secure their nation, the best way to do it is to stop being blustering tyrants and start initiating policies (free enterprise is a good start) to feed their own people.

It wouldn’t be an issue if we’d fought the Korean War sensibly (to win) and didn’t have a communist North Korea. Instead, Harry Truman was, well, Harry Truman.