Jeb Bush Drops Out

Just happened … No links yet.

Rubio voters … unfortunately!

The only thing that might save us from Rubio is for Cruz to drop out if he can’t win at least one state on March 1st.

Jeb Bush ends White House bid | TheHill

Honourable move on behalf of the party. Trump not acknowledging him with his winning speech says a lot about Trump. Bush presented substance and actually impressed me. I didn’t realize how well spoken he was before this election process.

Good riddance, Bush made it clear that he saw the Reagan adherents as the problem with the GOP and decided that he did not need the base to win; my feelings toward him are just as disrespectful as his feelings toward me.

I actually liked his dad and brother despite many disagreements but Jeb is everything wrong with the GOP personified, he needs to get busy helping Clinton now.

What these preliminary elections show is the moral climate of democrat voters as well as the moral climate of disaffected conservative voters. Well I guess that is what America is stuck with.

I gained respect for Jeb as a person during the campaign. Nevertheless, he had to be the sacrificial lamb to be emasculated by Trump debate after debate, because we cannot afford any more Bushes.

Conversely, I have lost tremendous respect for Ben Carson during the campaign. After examining his finances, it appears he is only running to be the frontman of a direct mail scam disguised as a campaign. His refusal to drop out after two consecutive last place finishes is telling.

What was made perfectly clear last night in So Carolina is that the longer the lower tier “not Trump” candidates stay in the race the more certain it becomes Trump will be the nominee.

Of course, Bush has now dropped out. No surprise there - he was going nowhere. However, the dynamics of the race remain largely unchanged - unless the last two bottom-tier candidates drop out, Carson and Kasich, Trump will not be stopped.

Even after the field winnows down to 3 candidates, I still think Trump will be the most likely nominee.

The most disappointing thing I took from last night’s results, aside from Rubio’s stronger showing than I expected, was that Trump beat Cruz among voters identifying as Evangelicals. That was very surprising in my opinion.

The winner take all primaries really start in May, at least I think that is correct. Between the 2 “not Trump” candidates Cruz/Rubio - if one of them has not dropped out by then, I think Trump will have it locked up.

I see no way for Trump to lose as long as the “not Trump” votes are split.

And, as of right now we have pretty much a dead heat for second place. I see no prospect that either Rubio or Cruz will be dropping out and leaving it to the other one to battle it out with Trump.

On March 1st I’ll vote for Cruz - not much more I can do - except wish us luck in November.

One final point: Given the prospect of a Trump nomination, RET423 stated something a couple of days ago that I think worthy of contemplation when it comes to Trump. RET stated he thinks Trump does indeed want a better America and that Trump truly thinks he can do a good job as POTUS.

Let us hope both RET and Trump are correct.

Of course he does, so does Carson, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz and all those who have dropped out already. Those on the Democratic side want the same thing, it is the means and feasibility to this better America that is at stake.

Furthermore; and this is just as key if not MORE important than the former, who can win in a general election? I’ve stated this many times, I’m new to this politics process, I am interested for my own reasons and it has invigorated a passion beyond meaningless TV I might normally have watched. Ultimately this question of electability has been the biggest question for me since day one. It is at least partially why I supported Rand Paul, and Rubio as a second choice. Policies will always differ among candidates, many of their ideals won’t even be enacted, but if you don’t win the race all of this we are observing is a moot point.

Oddly enough, it was Trumps straight talk if you will, especially early in the campaign, that probably denies him any line to the Whitehouse. It is popular with those who want change, but it will be used against him over and over in such a negative manner that he will be on the defensive the entire campaign.

I could easily believe that Carson or Cruz out running out of a desire to better America. Rubio and Kasich want it for the sake of the position - and to push forth policies that are all WRONG for this country. Now, or ever.

Furthermore; and this is just as key if not MORE important than the former, who can win in a general election? I’ve stated this many times, I’m new to this politics process, I am interested for my own reasons and it has invigorated a passion beyond meaningless TV I might normally have watched. Ultimately this question of electability has been the biggest question for me since day one. It is at least partially why I supported Rand Paul, and Rubio as a second choice. Policies will always differ among candidates, many of their ideals won’t even be enacted, but if you don’t win the race all of this we are observing is a moot point.

It’s good that you’ve taken an interest in politics, but I wish you’d drop the ideology of winning just for winning’s sake, and start to look beyond that into caring about WHAT you win. IOW, don’t ask, “WHO can win?”, ask yourself "WHY do I want him to win?"
If Rubio wins, we are, to put it bluntly, screwed. Same with Kasich. Rand Paul is just as bad, as he is bought and paid for by none other than Mitch McConnell. Establishment hacks, all three, and we may as well have Hillary in there as them, considering the backbone of our present Congress.

Cruz and Trump are the only two coming out to fight against all what’s wrong, trying to come forth with policies to make it BETTER.

Oddly enough, it was Trumps straight talk if you will, especially early in the campaign, that probably denies him any line to the Whitehouse. It is popular with those who want change, but it will be used against him over and over in such a negative manner that he will be on the defensive the entire campaign.

Then you don’t know Trump very well. Or the voters. It isn’t just change people want - just for the sake of change. In that case, we may as well put Obama back in office.
It’s the type of change that Trump is offering that has its appeal. People are angry as hell at the way our Congress has been turning its back on us, ignoring the very reasons we put them in office. Trump is fighting against that very machine, and people love him for it.
And, btw, people have been trying to use his negative manner against him for months on end…to little effect.

[Disclaimer: I’m not even attempting to be Trump’s “cheerleader.” Just looking at it as objectively as possible.
FWIW, Cruz is also presenting his type of ‘change’ - as a person who’s fought the establishment since he landed in D.C. I didn’t say much about him here, as your subject was Trump. However, it is why the two of them are the most popular.]

My point is - let us hope Trump can do a good job as POTUS, because as it stands this morning - objectively speaking - I think he has to be considered the most likely nominee. The race isn’t over - it is still early - but the trend is unmistakable and appears strong, IMO.

He DAMN sure is not my favorite, but I’m calling it as I see it.

After contemplating the meaning of last night’s results in SC I think I’m entering the 3rd of the 5 stages of grief folks are said to often experience upon receiving bad news - the Bargaining Phase. Of course, the stages are Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

My guess is that after the March 1 “Super Tuesday” results I will be reaching for consecutive snifters of Gold Label Brandy in a sure-to fail attempt to ward off Depression.

LMAO!!

This just makes him carrying around the turtles even more sad.

Turns out slow and steady does not win the race, Jeb.

Can’t say I’m sorry to see an establishment moooosh drop out. SC may have put the nail in his campaign’s coffin, but the establishment’s shift from him to Rubio as the best Not-Trump-Not-Cruz candidate killed it.

LOL! But I gotcha beat. I’m in the depression stage. lol

To add some levity to the situation, I think Cruz lost SC when he sang “I just called to say I love you” during the Town Hall…
:slight_smile:

Make room for me, I’m getting there. LOL.

I am not a religious zealot by any stretch. I like Cruz on the issues. However, I heard several analysts last night confirm that Cruz lost the Evangelical vote to Trump by 6 to 8 points - something like that. Given the number of Evangelicals in SC - coupled with the strong military presence there and Trump’s Iraq War/Bush lied commentary - I thought Cruz would run significantly stronger there than he did.

That Cruz did not and Trump won in SC by 10 points - well, what can I say? Hard to put a smiley face on this.

Tell me he didn’t. Are you serious? He really did that?

Ya can’t. There isn’t much to smile about.
My take, for whatever that’s worth, is that even Evangelicals don’t care to be preached to by a politician. If preaching is what they want, they’ll go to church.
Same with me. It’s annoying, to say the least.

Christians are not an ideological or biblical educated voting bloc, they tend to be very shallow and susceptible to pop tart appeals; I wish this were not the case but it is.

The Huckster and Kasich both poll well in Christian groups, that is all you need to know about how reliable their judgement is as a group.

Cruz needed to realize that Trumps support is not enormous but it is solid and NOT going to change their mind, the support that is pliable is Carson and Rubio; a strong list of specifics could have swayed many of these voters but a strong push to expose Trump was never going to be effective in an Open Primary State.

Cruz followed the old model of going after the front runner in a year when the front runner is not gleaning support because of Ideology or political pedigree, it is not too late to change gears but entering the phase where multiple States are voting on the same day makes a campaign strategy change very expensive to implement.

Cruz had a great pre voting strategy but his post voting strategy has been naive, trying to get Trump supporters to quit Trump by talking about his well known and documented past is like trying to get people to stop playing the Lottery by showing them the math and the odds; if they considered such things they would not be playing in the first place.

Things are going to start moving fast now and the delegates will all go to the winners, that means the Establishment has the advantage; just as the whole system is designed to play out.