Jewish surgeon refuses to operate on patient with Nazi tattoo

**A Jewish surgeon at a German hospital walked out of the operating theatre and refused to operate on a patient after spotting he had a swastika tattoo on his arm. **

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/8199100/Jewish-surgeon-refuses-to-operate-on-patient-with-Nazi-tattoo.html

I find it ironic that the family is saying the doctor should treat him when the patient would kill the doctor if he had his way.

An analogous situation would be a Christian doctor having to preform an abortion against his or her wishes.

lol Nazis lol.

This doctor is a disgrace. Why I feel for the doctor it is his job to help people. A true doctor does his job with out holding grudges.

One is saving a life and the other is taking a life. Its not that similar. Just because someone is the scum of the earth doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help them.

To put this a different way, if i am really offended by red hair would it be cool for me to not operate on a ginger?

Or a different way, if tattoos really offended me, any kind, would it be cool for me to not operate on people with tattoos?

Its a stupid tattoo. How would you feel if a Liberal Neurosurgeon refused to remove your brain tumor because he found an NRA card in your wallet?

UK story. and you know how they LOVE jews, heh? No name of the hospital, he didn’t just leave the guy, he turned it over to another surgeon. I think that’s pretty responsible. Now. The filthy nazi’s family is planning on suing everyone and his brother and calling for the firing, dismissal, humiliation, termination and the ovens for the surgeon. Well. hell. what else would you expect in this crazy world and especially europe.

[quote=“PoliticallyPlump, post:4, topic:28576”]
One is saving a life and the other is taking a life. Its not that similar. Just because someone is the scum of the earth doesn’t mean you shouldn’t help them.

To put this a different way, if i am really offended by red hair would it be cool for me to not operate on a ginger?

Or a different way, if tattoos really offended me, any kind, would it be cool for me to not operate on people with tattoos?

Its a stupid tattoo. How would you feel if a Liberal Neurosurgeon refused to remove your brain tumor because he found an NRA card in your wallet?
[/quote]How would you feel if your relatives were put in a gas chamber and then you see some one who preaches hate toward you and your family? It looks like you are mixing apples and oranges and I do have a gun card. BTW liberals also own guns.

I frankly think the surgeon did the right thing. He didn’t want to operate on the guy…probably thinking about potential suits and problems after the fact. Still, he did the right thing…had a replacement take over, looks like asap and the nazi is taken care of. But he’s still not happy. Must be a homo too cause they are NEVER happy. Surgeon is damned if he did, damned if he didn’t. can’t win situation actually.

whole thing might even have been a set up. Nazi tattoo guy didn’t recognize his surgeon was jewish? or did he?

By your reasoning then blacks should have the right to hate whites and not get in trouble for it. I mean after all white people did enslave them and treat them like crap for the better part of 3 centuries. Now I do applaud the doctor for turning it over to another surgeon and to be honest the nazis family should be happy the doctor did not hold a stronger grudge and an “accident” did not happen during surgery. The only people making this into a big fiasco is the nazis family. Only thing I fault the doctor for is for not having the compassion to put aside his grudge and help the guy after all he is a doctor and his job is to help and save lives not pick and chose which ones he wants to save.

It is up to the hospital what it wants its employees to do.

If the doctor was assigned to work on that patient by the hospital, it is his responsibility to do so and could be terminated.

If the doctor runs his own practice, he should be able to refuse anyone he wants for any reason. For instance, if I were a doctor, anyone registered democrat would be refused help.

Thank goodness you aren’t a doctor. Thought I do agree with this part:

If the doctor was assigned to work on that patient by the hospital, it is his responsibility to do so and could be terminated.

I’m sure hospitals have some policy where a surgeon can opt out for this or that reason cause they have such a good ole boy thing going on.

[quote=“Caroline, post:7, topic:28576”]
I frankly think the surgeon did the right thing. He didn’t want to operate on the guy…probably thinking about potential suits and problems after the fact. Still, he did the right thing…had a replacement take over, looks like asap and the Nazi is taken care of. But he’s still not happy. Must be a homo too cause they are NEVER happy. Surgeon is damned if he did, damned if he didn’t. can’t win situation actually.

whole thing might even have been a set up. Nazi tattoo guy didn’t recognize his surgeon was Jewish? or did he?
[/quote]The Nazi would have sued anyway if he knew the doctor was Jewish. Frankly this guy is wearing Nazi symbols that are forbidden in a country that killed 6 million Jews and someone has to wonder why this doctor would have feelings about operating on him.

I realize some would say that this event happened long ago(the Holocaust) and why should the surgeon have feeling about it. The fact that Jews are still being prosecuted in the world by people should never enter into it./sarcasm

I have plenty of relatives that were persecuted by others. If I held a grudge against other people Id just be walking around angry all the time. My Pagan Saxon ancestors were put to the sword by Charlemagne.

History is riddled with so many examples of people persecuting and being persecuted by others that if we just walked around being offended by groups or races of people then we would be constantly at war with one another, literally.

Trick to being a good person is to grow up and treat others the way you would want to be treated and stop living in the past.

I am sure I have people in my history as well who suffered from abuse by others but your reasoning is suspect in that you discount a relative recent event as meaningless and should not color the judgment of how this doctor felt about operating on someone who you can see hates you.

As another poster pointed out he got someone else to operate.

So if someone killed your family would you save his or her life? The point is you are awful tolerate of others views if it does not affect you.

What if the doctor was a black man in the South and the guy he was supposed to operate on was a klansman? What if the doctor was Armenian and the patient was Turkish? A Tutsi and a Hutu? A Bosnian and a Serb? Would you still think that they had a right to refuse to do the operation?

My belief in Christ dictates that I must help even my enemies.

Recent events should only mean something to those directly affected. If you were in a concentration camp then i can see having some reservations around swastikas. I dont hold anything against Catholics or the pope for all their foul misdeeds in Germany and throughout Christendom. How recent does something need to be in your mind for someone to justly feel pissed off?

Beyond that if my vocation was that of surgeon then i would have to because of my Hippocratic oath. Do you want a doctor working on you who picks and chooses the types of people he works on? Or do you want a professional doctor who puts his work ahead of his personal feelings?

That’s great that he got someone else to finish the surgery, but he is a bad doctor and a poor professional for letting some ink prevent him from doing his job.

+1

This doctor is violating all medical ethics and his own Hippocratic oath by refusing this man treatment.

[quote=“Steal_This_Dude, post:15, topic:28576”]
What if the doctor was a black man in the South and the guy he was supposed to operate on was a klansman? What if the doctor was Armenian and the patient was Turkish? A Tutsi and a Hutu? A Bosnian and a Serb? Would you still think that they had a right to refuse to do the operation?
[/quote]So what you are saying is that you would operate of them or is this the usual see if you can make points?

What he is saying is that a Doctor is supposed to do his job just like anybody else. This is regardless of who he is operating on.

All businesses have the right to refuse service to ANYONE and to charge whatever rates they deem necessary to ANYONE for any reason or else they are enslaved by the government. (IE, being forced to work for a wage they don’t agree to)

If a black man won’t help klansmen unless they pay him a 75% premium (because that is what it takes to put up with it), that is fine, and so is the reverse, otherwise, there is no point to having a right not to be enslaved.