Jim DeMint on why GOP must become more Libertarian

After a solid drubbing on Tuesday, Republicans are looking for answers to their electoral woes. Perhaps it’s time for the party to live up to their limited government rhetoric and take a few notes from the libertarian playbook.
Back in February Reason’s Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch spoke with Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) about why Republican survival is predicated on the GOP becoming more libertarian.
Continue reading (video):
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/10/reason-tv-replay-jim-demin…

Smart man.

Jim DeMint is about as libertarian as Rick Perry. But he sure can bamboozle an audience…and the Paulbots are easily bamboozled.

[quote=“Cam, post:3, topic:37183”]
Jim DeMint is about as libertarian as Rick Perry. But he sure can bamboozle an audience…and the Paulbots are easily bamboozled.
[/quote]He isn’t a libertarian, but I doubt you know much about his view progression.

He’s never claimed to be one, but like me, he shares many common values with libertarians, especially on economic issues.

Jim DeMint is one of if not the most farthest right politician out there. At least according to two different political science studies that I know of (which ironically are the only ones of its kind). Yet he can still hold his composure and is not seen as a crazy religious nut job or a conspiracy nut. Like most in those camps.

Doesn’t mean I agree with his point of views all the time.

I agree with him on pretty much everything with regards to economic, domestic, and social issues. He’s a great ally for real conservatives to have n the Senate. His foreign policy could be better, though.

Yeah…so he supports the fiscal conservative leg of the stool that we share with libertarians…but he also supports the social con leg and the strong INTERVENTIONIST (when needed) Military Legs of the stool as well which the Paulistas hate. Like I said…easily bamboozled.

But if DeMint “evolves” on the social issues…Then there is no more hope for conservatives. On a different side he is retiring so anything he says anyway is kinda pointless.

He’s not retiring till 2016.

And ex-politicians who become op-ed people in columns and/or on news talk shows have a great deal of influence so their opinions are not pointless. I can see DeMint doing this as well as being a strong campaigning voice for other politicians.