John Kerry invents country of Kyrzakhstan

John Kerry invents country of Kyrzakhstan
By Jonathan Earle, Moscow

11:36AM GMT 25 Feb 2013

In an embarrassing slip of the tongue, Mr Kerry last week praised US diplomats working to secure “democratic institutions” in the Central Asian country, which does not exist.

The newly minted diplomat was referring to Kyrgyzstan, a poor, landlocked nation of 5.5 million, which he appeared to confuse with its resource-rich neighbour to the north, Kazakhstan.

The State Department kindly omitted the error in the official transcript of Wednesday’s speech, which Mr Kerry delivered on the eve of his first foreign trip as secretary of state.

Mr Kerry’s flub was all the more awkward, because Kyrgyzstan is a key ally in the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan and a major recipient of US aid, which totalled $41 million (£27 million) in 2011.

They say duct tape can fix almost anything, but I doubt it can fill this empty suit. Rule #2 for political travel must be, “Know where you are,” (Rule #1 being, “Put your pants on.”)!

And this ‘cultured’ idiot is supposed to be far more intelligent than us lowly Conservatives.

When Kerry was running for president, his ignorance about people in general was monumental.

Probably still taking foreign policy advice from Jane Fonda.

Really people? I probably would have flubbed “Kazakhstan” Shall I go into all of Ronald Reagan’s confused slip of the tongue moments?

And Then I can do Carter, and you do Bush. The subject is the Sec of State. Supposedly the smartest man on foreign policy. He should know who he’s talking about.

[quote=“tperkins, post:6, topic:38432”]
And Then I can do Carter, and you do Bush. The subject is the Sec of State. Supposedly the smartest man on foreign policy. He should know who he’s talking about.
[/quote] If Kerry had an “R” next to his name this never would have been posted.

Yes it would. You have very selective reading habits. You’ve seen folks here go after Boehner, Bush, Hagel, Paul, Christie, etc, or you’re blind.

[quote=“tperkins, post:8, topic:38432”]
Yes it would. You have very selective reading habits. You’ve seen folks here go after Boehner, Bush, Hagel, Paul, Christie, etc, or you’re blind.
[/quote] Well okie dokie then, I stand corrected. However people make slips of the tongue, politicans included.

This reminds me of capsizing Guam.

:rofl::rofl:

Really people? I probably would have flubbed “Kazakhstan”

For some one in your career position, that would be fine. But Kerry has been a US Senator for decades, and is now Secretary of State, a position requiring him to deal with all manner of foreign countries. Getting countries’ names correct would seem the most basic step in doing his job. For my part, I cannot say exactly when I learned of of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, but the POTUS at the time was either Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter. One possible fate of some of my great uncles was that they died in exile in “Kazekstan”.

If Kerry had an R next to his name, he probably never would have been elected. Okay, it is Massachusetts…

Was that Biden? I think it was.

If this gaffe had been committed by an R, it would have been front page top-of-the-fold on every skews paper from the NYT to the Podunk Cage-Liner, and the top story on every network’s 6 O’Clock Skews.

Next dismissal attempt, please.

Hank Johnson of Georgia.
Hank Johnson Worries Guam Could “Capsize” After Marine Buildup - Political Hotsheet - CBS News