Judge orders "morning after pill" available to any age without prescription

Well…this is nice. I can see the lawsuits piling up now. So, a 14 year old who is pregnant can go into a store, buy this pill, and take it without her parents’ knowledge? Well, then I think vicodin, oxycontin, morphine, and amphetamines should also be available to anyone at any age without a prescription. Makes about as much sense. Where do we get these judges???

(I don’t know why this link doesn’t work automatically…)

Here are the real dangers of this pill: (at the bottom of the website is an additional option to read about the dangers of this pill to adolescents…)

[http://www.pop.org/content/dangers-of-morning-after-pill-1399

A](http://www.pop.org/content/dangers-of-morning-after-pill-1399)nd here is even more details about the dangers of this pill being sold without prescription to anyone at any age:

[Is Emergency Contraception Safe? - Morning After Pill

T](http://www.morningafterpill.org/is-emergency-contraception-saf.html)o quote a great actor, “Miss Hathaway, have you lost your mind??” (anyone know which movie?)

Well…ya see…it is available like aspirin without a prescription to ALL those over 18 and has passed ALL the necessary tests to be a safe and effective OVER THE COUNTER Remedy BY THE FDA.
The reason it was being held back was because of politics.
Your comparisons are over the top and unreasonable as it is closer to cough syrup and aspirin than to dangerous and addictive drugs.
An impartial source like WebMD contains none of the hysterical health risk claims that your anti-abortion sources twist and spin. If aspirin had the same effect on pregnancy…they’d be against it too. Of course there are LIMITED side effects…and of course, all put together…none of them have the degree of risk of a pregnancy to term OR even a medical or surgical abortion (which are WAY safer than birth as previously detailed.)
So…if you are gonna argue against PlanB for teens…try not to make specious and easily refutable medical claims when your real argument is about something quite different.

For my own part… I am troubled by the lack of need for parental consent for ANY minor to do ANYTHING.
But it is already the LAW that they can wait a few weeks and have a REAL abortion without parental consent OR knowledge.
Given that fact…I think acting within 48 hours is a safer, more effective and better plan and the judges decision was correct.

I would like to see ALL abortions for under 18 require parental consent EXCEPT in the case of incest where the girl may request help from the authorities and have the perp arrested. This would require a change in the law however.
I do NOT consider PlanB an abortion pill as it works only up to 36 hours and NOT after implantation of the blastocyst in the uterus and is more of a contraceptive IMO but should still require parental permission except as above IF the above gets changed.
For those with interest. This is what it eliminates OR protects against being fertilized or implanted.

Its easier to get plan b than sudafed, something isnt right

Yeah, if you buy Sudafed, Mucinex, and some other over the counter cold medicines, they swipe the magnetic strip on your driver’s license which puts you in a national database to track how much and how often you buy it. Everyone is automatically a meth manufacturer until proven otherwise, yet, it is so much easier to get an abortifacient.

You can’t really make meth with Plan B…

And Plan B isn’t an abortion pill, so I’m not sure why Fox claimed it was.

ECPs prevent pregnancy by mechanisms that do not involve interference with post-fertilization events.
ECPs do not cause abortion or harm an established pregnancy. Pregnancy begins with implantation according to medical authorities such as the US FDA, the National Institutes of Health and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).

that is a flat out lie

If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation)

FDA’s Decision Regarding Plan B: Questions and Answers

And yet studies routinely show that doesn’t happen… Exposing discarded fertilized eggs from fertilization clinics to plan B did not prevent them from attaching to a uterine wall, and I can assure you, if you tried to take plan B after ovulating, you will become pregnant, and there are numerous cases where that has happened. There isn’t one case, however, of abortion from plan B. The FDA did not conduct these studies, so claiming them as some sort of source for what plan B can and can’t do is ludicrous. They’re being cautious, but the fact is that plan B does not cause abortions. It never has and it never will. The chemistry just isn’t there. Plan B can’t do something that is impossible. The drug doesn’t affect the uterine wall.

Cam: According to the article, the morning after pill will be available to anyone at ANY AGE.

I’m not sure, but I think that’s because people make meth out of sudafed…

All I can say is it will be interesting to watch the lawsuits pile up over this…

I know, but this is too much of an invasion into the private sector. Purchases are being tracked of people who are merely getting cold medicine. I would much rather they crack down on this in some other way. They can take a meth head from the county jail and offer to cut his time in half if he tells them where he bought his drugs. Instead, they are intruding into the lives of the law abiding people merely purchasing cold medicine.

I think we’re talking about two different issues here. I originally meant to focus on the fed judge’s decision to allow the morning after pill to be distributed over the counter to anyone of any age. That was my concern. I see lots and lots of potentially dangerous situations cropping up because of this. We already know that there are many drugs which have been approved by the FDA that not long after they are put on the market have terrible after effects and even are taken off the market because of deaths (i.e.: Phen-Phen, Rezulin, Darvon, Darvocet, etc.) or serious physical problems. FDA approval does not ensure safety anymore. Drug companies are pushing through questionable drugs across the board, not just the “morning after pill”.
The other issue is whether or not the sales of certain OTC drugs, such as sudafed, should be monitored. I guess I have to say that in a way I think anything that a person can use to make something hazardous should be regulated somehow. I’m not sure how that should happen or even if it should happen at all. I’m not keen on regulations, but given the stupidity and greed of many today, I can see potential hazards if there were a free-for-all with these items. So, on this issue, I am sort of straddling the fence…at least for now.

There have already been deaths attributed to the morning-after pill. Can’t remember the details, but I’m pretty sure one was posted on this site once. It is caused by complications resulting from the body not expelling all of the fertilized egg (in the case of prevention of implantation). And who knows how many very young people will wait before deciding to take the pill, thereby causing other potential problems currently unknown? Not that there is any valid reason for the existence of the pill at all.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all, Susanna. This is another Pandora’s box that is going to cause lots of problems. Drug companies and those in the pockets of major drug companies are going to risk lives in order to line their pockets. This is not a revelation! To discount reports that the morning after pill has the potential to cause harm and even death is pretty stupid. The PlanB pill has the hormonal potency of over 40 birth control pills. I wonder what would happen if a 13 or 14 year old girl took 40 birth control pills? It is, unfortunately, typical of some men to minimize the potential dangers of pills that only affect women–such was the case of “Phen-Phen” and other diet drugs. Women lost their lives because they took those pills believing the drug corporation’s claim that it was a “safe and effective” way to lose weight. Unfortunately, it was finally taken off the market after 50 deaths and over 150 life-altering health problems occurred as a direct result from DOCTOR PRESCRIBED Phen-Phen. PlanB doesn’t even have the protection of having to be prescribed by a doctor.

Its the FDA’s job to know exactly what drugs do and dont do

from the plan b website

It is possible that Plan B One-Step® may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of the sperm with the egg) or** by preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb).**

Plan B One-Step® (levonorgestrel): FAQs

Pardon the (somewhat) hijack, but that was one of the main problems I had with Gov. Perry by, not only allowing, but insisting that minor children be forced to take a drug - Gardisil - that had already been proven to have some horrible side-affects, in order to enroll in school.

Thankfully, it caused enough of an uproar that it got kicked to the curb, but it ties in with what’s going on here with the “Morning After” pill:
Politicians overstepping their bounds.

OUR CHILDREN ARE THEIR PARENTS’ BUSINESS; NOT THE GOVERNMENT’S!!!

I see you didn’t read the post at all. It’s not the FDA’s job to do the testing themselves:

Neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients. Rather, FDA has consistently advised manufacturers to use whatever testing is necessary to ensure the safety of their products and ingredients.

The people who do test these drugs, however, say it doesn’t cause abortions. The way it works, there is just no way it can ever happen.

the people who make the drug say it does

again i post

It is possible that Plan B One-Step® may also work by preventing fertilization of an egg (the uniting of the sperm with the egg) or by** preventing attachment (implantation) to the uterus (womb).**

Plan B One-Step® (levonorgestrel): FAQs

Key word being “may”. It’s never happened, and as I posted before, fertilized eggs exposed to Plan B have no trouble implanting. You can post all the warnings you want, the experimental data doesn’t support those claims.

the key word is may as in it possibly could happen, which directly contradicts this bold faced lie you just told.