Just Bought

Just bought Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, A Brave New World, A ClockWork Orange, and The Trial by Kafka.It will be a good month.

I read Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, and A Brave New World in high school. They were required reading.

I read literary works in highschool. To Kill a Mockingbird, Scarlet Letter etc. They were masterpieces no doubt, just a different kind. I find it pretty funny that books by Orwell and the like mentioned above aren’t taught anymore, don’t want kids asking questions you know.

What state did you grow up in?

2 Likes

As did I, Animal Farm freshman year, Fahrenheit 451 junior year, and Brave New World (plus 1984 for a good Orwellian balance) senior year. Also read BNW in a later college class.

I take it youve already read 1984?

this is a GREAT MONTH to read the books youve listed…before Obamas Justive department has them all BANNED…and BURNED!! :yes:

1 Like

I had Animal Farm in school. I’ve got a sci-fi anthology that has the short story Fireman, which I understand was expanded into Fahrenheit 451.

Just finished Animal Farm! And yeah I’ve already 1984, great book!

Now I think I’ll start The Trial maybe

Finished Brave New World earlier today. Also a great book!

Great reads! Have you ever read “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding?? If not, make sure you get it. It fits in with the theme of your other choices. Then, go rent the black and white ENGLISH version of the book–it sticks to the story unlike the later American versions. The little fellow who plays “Piggy” is excellent. Oh, btw, book reports are due at the end of the month-just email it to me…typed in MLA style, please.

In high school, I read *Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Merchant of Venice, Romeo & Juliet (very boring), Othello, Tale of Two Cities, Illiad & Odyssey, Communist Manifesto (in government class), Julius Caesar, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, Edgar Allen Poe, David Copperfield, House of the Seven Gables, Scarlet Letter, *and many more that I can’t remember. I didn’t like reading back then. It was because I didn’t know that reading non-fiction is what interests me. Now, I have a voracious appetite for reading and I have quite a nice little library of my own.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:10, topic:40242”]
House of the Seven Gables, Scarlet Letter
[/quote]Nathaniel Hawthorne, to me anyway, was one of the most boring authors ever. I remember lugging around House of the Seven Gables for so long unfinished that it got dog eared. And I finally ended up getting a Cliff’s Notes summary for the test.

Your list is so familiar to me . . . it must have been a Catholic school universal thing.

1 Like

Which version?

Same here. I think its probably pretty standard

LOL! Yep! It was a Catholic all-girls’ high school–college prep. And, most of those titles were, IMO, very boring. I liked the “Iliad and the Odyssey”, and Edgar Allen Poe, but the rest I struggled to get through them. Beowulf was especially difficult because it was written in not the old, OLD English, but older English. I dislike most anything from Shakespeare or Chaucer. I dislike fiction, period. There are only a few fiction titles that I’ve enjoyed (al of them were as a result of teaching literature to 7-9th graders: To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, Screwtape Letters, Up From Slavery, Animal Farm, and Uncle Tom’s Cabin.

What? You can’t not like Shakespeare, once one gets past the olde English style of his writing it’s quite enjoyable.

I didn’t have all that junk in high school, but we had similar stuff in grade school - 7th & 8th grade, one a month - probably condensed versions. I can remember a few titles, can’t pin the authors to most of them: Silas Marner, The Gold Bug, Nathan Hale, A (or “The”?) Man without a Country, MacBeth - that’s a few of the titles; there must have been at least 18, because we had one a month for two years. I remember bits & pieces of the first two, can’t remember any of the rest, not even MacBeth. Anything I could tell you about MacBeth, I’ve learned by hearing about it since. We called the segment - no doubt included in our English classes - I’ve picked up here and there since. And if you wonder why I can’t differentiate the classes - we had one teacher for grades 1-4, and one teacher for grades 5-8.

We also had to memorize one poem a month. Can’t remember when that started, probably about 3rd grade. I know we had it all through the “second room” (5-8). I used to be so quick at learning them that one time the teacher slipped an extra one in on me. I even remember what it was - “The Constitution.” I can remember the first line, but that’s about all - “Aye, tear her tattered ensign down, long has it waved on high.”

Susanna, you had a real, traditional education!! The combined grades classroom has come back in many private/parochial schools since the early 1990’s. I had a combined class of 7/8 graders, and even a combined class of 6-8 at one point. I even had a class with 7-10 graders. It’s not difficult to do, but you have to be very organized and optimize every minute of the school day. In the school where I had the 6-8 graders, there was a kindergarten, then 1-2, 3-4, and the 5th grade only had two students so I took them with me–they were pretty smart, so it was easy to incorporate them into the 6th grade class with some adjustments. The fact that you read such titles in grade school and memorized poems is another nail in the coffin of public education today. Most kids in public school grades 7-8 wouldn’t be able to read those books, much less understand them. And memorize??? Why, that’s considered a form of child abuse these days by most “educrats”! It’s no wonder the U.S. can’t break the bottom of the totem pole academically…

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:17, topic:40242”]
And memorize??? Why, that’s considered a form of child abuse these days by most “educrats”!
[/quote]While memorization is often dismissed as boring learning by rote (as in “memorizing the times tables” once was popular in earlier centuries), memorization is a whole lot more than just that.

It establishes new neural pathways, and is as rigorous an exercise for the brain as push ups are for the rest of the body.

It’s de-emphasis is just another symptom of poor education. It has a very important place in growing the mind and the health of the brain.

1 Like

Absolutely Bob! It also helps to involve parents in their children’s education. The dismissal of memorization is one of the worst ideas ever to come out of education next to “whole language” reading.

Except that memorizing doesn’t show competence in understanding. I can memorize words of a foreign language but if I don’t know what I’m saying then it’s pointless.

That’s why it’s kind of pointless to read books like 1984, Brave New World, etc. in high school. You can read the books but don’t get the point.