Kitchenaid Dryer help

Anyone ever have a dryer that will not go into the cool down cycle? It drys the clothes just fine but stops at the cool down so the clothes are pretty darn hot. A appliance guy guessed it was the timer which is around $100, you take it, you buy it. No returns. I’d like to be sure before I put 1/3 of the cost of a new dryer into a seven year old one. Let alone the service charge if I take it in. Any thoughts?

Afraid I can not help you. I once had to replace the controls on my washing machine because when it got to a certain point through the cycle it would stop. That was a lot of years ago. I did have to put a new belt on the dryer once. I do not know if this will help but I had a dryer control that was acting up and I removed it and cleaned off the contacts and it started to work again.

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

[quote=“tperkins, post:3, topic:37497”]
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks
[/quote] I would tend to agree with the appliance guy. I would assume most dryers have a preset cool down time, directed by the timer. Once the cycle reaches a point close to finishing, the timer alerts the heating element to shut down, cooling the clothes. 7 years seems to be a short period, for a timer to go bad. I have never replaced one, and I had one dryer I used for almost twenty years.
I’d clean it, as Sam suggested, but I’d be prepared to replace that one. They are not that hard to figure out. You may find that you can do it yourself. Good Luck. I wish I was closer so I could help more.

It sounds like a timer, if you can manually turn the dial just past the point where it fails to enter cool down mode and restart it without the heating element firing up then it just has a bad contact at that point.

I buy appliance parts from this outfit all the time, there prices are pretty good. I don’t know if this is your timer or not but they usually have all models

KitchenAid Dryer Timer 3392949 [Dryer Timer 3392949 A] - $78.95 : Appliance Parts from Midwest Appliance Parts, Appliance Part Service, Chicago, Water Filters, Appliance Parts Chicago

[quote=“Tiny1, post:4, topic:37497”]
I would tend to agree with the appliance guy. I would assume most dryers have a preset cool down time, directed by the timer. Once the cycle reaches a point close to finishing, the timer alerts the heating element to shut down, cooling the clothes. 7 years seems to be a short period, for a timer to go bad. I have never replaced one, and I had one dryer I used for almost twenty years.
I’d clean it, as Sam suggested, but I’d be prepared to replace that one. They are not that hard to figure out. You may find that you can do it yourself. Good Luck. I wish I was closer so I could help more.
[/quote]When I had to replace the controls on the washing machine all there was were two side screws then the unit popped out and I removed the push on wires. Just remember where they go. Hopefully the control can be removed on the dryer without to much disassembly. My dryer is over 25 years old. I thought about a new one but since this one has a electronic starter and no pilot I felt I really was not gaining much if I got a new one. The old one works fine. I am all for being green but I ain’t stupid. I did a few years back put alum vent pi[e on rather than that plastic hose some like to use. That way the lint does not get caught and blows right out.

Thanks all. I’ve tore into both washers and dryers before, but always knew what I was after. I’ll end up biting the bullet on the timer if the cleaning doesn’t work. I was hoping for a nice cheap thermostat or sensor. Yes, I’m a tightwad lol.

[quote=“tperkins, post:7, topic:37497”]
Thanks all. I’ve tore into both washers and dryers before, but always knew what I was after. I’ll end up biting the bullet on the timer if the cleaning doesn’t work. I was hoping for a nice cheap thermostat or sensor. Yes, I’m a tightwad lol.
[/quote]Hey I can not blame you. I am a tightwad too on certain things and the fact I like to take things apart ----just call me Tim the tool man only not as extreme. Oh gee this reminds me of the jimmy Heap show but that is unfit for this forum.:whistle:

You can get electrical contact cleaner at autoparts stores…except autozone.

Yup, It is the timer. Cleaned all the contacts and it still won’t work on the timed dry cycle. Going to muddle through until after the holidays and see what sales come up. Thanks to all for the advice!

[quote=“tperkins, post:10, topic:37497”]
Yup, It is the timer. Cleaned all the contacts and it still won’t work on the timed dry cycle. Going to muddle through until after the holidays and see what sales come up. Thanks to all for the advice!
[/quote]Best of luck on that. Hopefully you can get the part easily.

Oh I can get the part easily enough, it’s the cost of the part vs the cost of a new dryer. The Mrs and I will keep an eye on the “we’re overstocked” sales after the Holidays then weigh the options. Zeroing in on the actual age of the thing, we got it from the sister in law six years ago and she had it three or four years before that.

[quote=“tperkins, post:12, topic:37497”]
Oh I can get the part easily enough, it’s the cost of the part vs the cost of a new dryer. The Mrs and I will keep an eye on the “we’re overstocked” sales after the Holidays then weigh the options. ** Zeroing in on the actual age of the thing, we got it from the sister in law six years ago and she had it three or four years before that**.
[/quote]Very good point