Labor Day 2013

Ok…as usual, I wanna know what you guys are cookin’ up for labor day! And, make sure you provide detailed recipes!

The people here in my building are planning an outdoor barbecue celebration with live music and outdoor games. But, it is supposed to be very hot, humid, and rainy on Monday. So, I’m not sure what will happen. I am going to make Tiny1’s cole slaw that was a smashing hit on the 4th of July picnic. I think there is going to be burgers, hot dogs, and ribs besides all of the covered dishes provided by the residents here. Not too crazy about the live music–too loud for me, but it’s fun anyway.

Not to derail your thread, but congrats on your first year here! As to what I’m cooking up Labor Day, probably a frozen pizza lol

1 Like

I haven’t even thought about. It has come up on us soooo fast!

1 Like

Seconded!

We’re doing a take-out pizza right now! Mmmm… Pizza…

Wow…I didn’t realize it had been a year! Thanks!

Believe it or not, being a Chicagoan–home of the BEST pizza in the world–I like Tombstone or Jacks frozen pizza. If this gets out, I’ll probably be excommunicated from Chicago…

Try Freschetta. A bit pricy but worth it!

My personal favorite is this crunchy-granola hippy brand from New Hampshire/Vermont called American Flatbreads. Its off the charts expensive for frozen pizza but I think well worth it.

I can’t stand those gourmet hippy-weirdo pizzas. My sister took me to this fancy restaurant in D.C. once awhile ago and ordered a goat-cheese pizza with figs and arugula…it was disgusting. Pizza is crust, tomato sauce, and cheese…that’s it.

a) I hate arugala…just putting that out there

b) I don’t necessarily disagree with you - but this stuff is good. There are the weirdest combinations that taste amazing.

No doubt. But, if we’re talking pizza, there are limits and boundaries… Putting figs into the same sentence as pizza is…well…anathema.

Freschetta is excellent, but Mike is so calorie conscious that we quit getting it when they discontinued the flat-bread variety at Walmart. The one we had last night (and will finish today) is from the tourist trap down the hill. Raised crust, full of calories. Yum, yum!

1 Like

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:1, topic:40874”]
Ok…as usual, I wanna know what you guys are cookin’ up for labor day! And, make sure you provide detailed recipes!

The people here in my building are planning an outdoor barbecue celebration with live music and outdoor games. But, it is supposed to be very hot, humid, and rainy on Monday. So, I’m not sure what will happen. I am going to make Tiny1’s cole slaw that was a smashing hit on the 4th of July picnic. I think there is going to be burgers, hot dogs, and ribs besides all of the covered dishes provided by the residents here. Not too crazy about the live music–too loud for me, but it’s fun anyway.
[/quote]I took my Wife and Mother to a place called Big Daddy’s Seafood. I had fresh oysters, Prime rib, and grilled Garlic Shrimp. My wife had a ribeye and baked Sweet potato. Mom had prime rib.
Awesome.

1 Like