Larry Pratt: We're Wasting Our Time On Gun Control, Should Be Talking About Scrapping

Larry Pratt hits the nail on the head again. All the gun control proposals would do nothing to cut down on crime. We should be talking about how people can protect themselves from the inevitable evil acts instead of restricting their God given right to bear arms.

[quote=“Jebby, post:1, topic:37825”]

Larry Pratt hits the nail on the head again. All the gun control proposals would do nothing to cut down on crime. We should be talking about how people can protect themselves from the inevitable evil acts instead of restricting their God given right to bear arms.
[/quote] God given right to bear arms? Uh…Yeah…

Rights come from God, not government.

Which one?
The Big Religion Comparison Chart: Compare World Religions - ReligionFacts

Does it matter? Rights come from our Creator, not from government.

We can agree that they don’t come from government.

The right to carry a gun comes from government, no where else.

Where does the bible mention gun rights?

No, the right to keep and bear arms comes from the people as do the rest of the ‘Bill of Rights’. Read the first ten amendments carefully, go back to the ninth amendment. The first ten amendments protect the people from a tyrannical government, the ninth protects the other nine plus the ones in the Declaration of Independence.

To say that the right to carry a gun comes from the government it is promoting a tyrannical government.

So far, this is the only post I can see on this thread ('cause I have everyone else on ignore), but this is the truth (more or less). The government doesn’t give rights; it declares existing - reasonable - rights - and it has the responsibility to protect those rights - not to curtail or regulate them.

I agree, our rights come from our Creator, in the trip to the Constitution they came from the people, who had them before there was an idea of a Constitution. The Government was created to protect those rights, not deny them.

If all rights come from a “creator” than the creator must have written them down somewhere. Can someone please point me to that text. I have asked this before but had no response.Further, if all rights come from the “creator” then they must apply equally to ALL people, not just citizens of the USA. And yet, I have seen conservatives here argue consistently that rights that apply to American citizens do not apply to foreigners. Seems that even believers can’t get their story straight about " god given" rights.

Thanks for putting it so succinctly, Stew.

The ignorance of that is disturbing, to say the least. And even for those who may be atheists, it is by human nature that we are born with a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

(and that jazz is trolling.)

I have no problem with the concept of natural rights. But owning a gun (or a baseball bat, or a curling iron) just isn’t among 'em.

Copied from Natstew’s quote:

[QUOTE=Jazzhead]The right to carry a gun comes from government, no where else.[/QUOTE]
Utter dog droppings. The government recognizes rights; it isn’t the source.

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:15, topic:37825”]
Copied from Natstew’s quote:

Utter dog droppings. The government recognizes rights; it isn’t the source.
[/quote] Where does it say “And God said let there be guns and he saw that they were good”?

Where did I say that?

Disagree. That & others come from the people who were in the act of determining what kind of government they wanted and what limits they wanted on that government.

There are some rights which may be argued as natural…but the Bill of Rights has several amendments which have nothing to do with natural rights and others which are mixed bags. As written, they were NOT guarantees of INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS…and STATES could violate them against their citizens with impunity. They were simply prohibitions on FEDERAL government actions until they began to be incorporated under the 14th amendment after the Civil War. I note that not all of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated even today…so it is hard for anyone to argue that the 10 amendments are “natural law”.
I prefer to think of the 2nd as facilitating a natural right…that of self defense and the right to overthrow a corrupt government.
Even though not all of the BOR describes natural law… I remain appreciative of EACH amendment, wish they didn’t provide as much wiggle room as their language does, and am glad they are so difficult to reverse.

Susanna: :rofl: Funny, I was observing the same thing myself! It would seem that if we believe that our rights come from the government, it would also follow that the right to life would also then come from the government. Perhaps that is the direction many would like to take.

Cam

I prefer to think of the 2nd as facilitating a natural right…that of self defense and the right to overthrow a corrupt government

Which is part and parcel to the 'right to life.'
But I’ll admit I put it awkwardly in an attempt to be inclusive of those who may not believe their rights come from God. I, btw, do.
What’s confounding is people who cannot wrap their brains around a simple concept that:
…the right to bear arms (for those who can afford them or receive them as a gift or pick up one laying in the dirt) SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

What is so flaming hard to get about that?!