Lee Rodgers, Rest in Peace

Lee Rodgers, Rest in Peace
Written by Melanie Morgan

I really don’t want to write about this, I don’t want to think about this, and I don’t want it to be true.

Lee Rodgers, friend and mentor, is dead.

I owe everything that I have in my professional life to Lee Rodgers, who took me under his wing back in 1988 in the halycon days of KGO Radio.

Lee was a nighttime talk show host, a former rock and roll DJ, hired by my husband Jack Swanson. He hired him twice, in fact.

Lee and I worked together at KSFO radio on the “Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan Show, with Officer Vic” (and Sheri Yee) for 14 years, but it was always the Lee Rodgers show, and we got to go along for the ride. Lee was demanding, brilliant, perfectionistic, generous, very very loyal and HUGELY entertaining. I learned my conservative principles from him. He helped mold and shape my politics and you can sometimes hear Lee speaking through me on the radio. I learned to capitalize entire words on paper from Lee, like HUGELY.

Lee Rodgers first and foremost was a devoted husband to Susan, his ‘bride’ as he called her. They were married for over 30 years …

Not sure how many folks here have heard of Lee Rodgers. He was a big part of how KSFO became a monster thorn in SF Bay Area Libs’ collective side. My favorite Rodgers-ism is his comment that the best way to look on most politicians is down. He also said that if you give your heart to a politician, he will break it. Rest in peace.

Never heard him that I know of, although I bet I’d have enjoyed him.

Rodgers never tried to take his show national. He wasn’t as brash as Rush, Levin, or Savage (who worked at KGO and KSFO with Rodgers), but was every bit as substantive (or more) and as blunt.

I spent many long nights high balling freight through California at night with Lee Rodgers as my only company, KGO is a torch that burns everywhere after dark. When he went to mornings on KSFO I did not catch him as often but he ran a great show.

R.I.P. Lee