against multi-national corporate elites and powerful government
bureaucrats.

The battle over the proposed Free Trade Agreement with Korea is first
place to see the progressive-libertarian alliance at work. The Korea
Free Trade Agreement has nothing to do with free or fair trade: it’s a
carefully crafted managed trade arrangement in over a thousand pages
of fine print. The treaty is filled with favors and exceptions for
some special interests, while imposing obligations and restrictions on
the beleaguered American manufacturing sector.

Opposing the deal is a coalition that includes Paul, Nader, Donald
Trump, the AFL-CIO, small business proponents, the U.S. and Business
and Industry Council, and the Sierra Club. This populist alliance
faces the Obama Administration who are in an odd alliance with a
majority of House Republicans that reliably rally around any flag with
the label of “free trade.”

“I believe in coalitions,” Rep. Paul said in the Fox interview,
“they talk about bipartisanship, and I say we have too much
bipartisanship because the bipartisanship we have here in Washington
endorses corporatism.”

Paul and Nader agree on many issues beyond the current fight over the
Korea deal including cutting the Pentagon’s budget, scrapping the
Patriot Act, and withdrawing from the NAFTA and World Trade
Organization agreements - which are entangling economic ties just like
the Korea Free Trade pact.

Sounds like another great reason to ignore Ron Paul to me. This proves his imbecility beyond a reasonable doubt.

Since Nader is irrevelent anymore the gesture is meaningless. As for Ron Paul he needs to find a good rest home

Source?

Just the other day I heard a great speech from Ron and got to thinking maybe I should give him another chance. Should have known. With all the “product safety” crap Nader has forced onto us how could any Libertarian even get in the same room with him.

Okay, this is this dude’s first post and he didn’t give a source; isn’t anyone here but me even slightly suspicious? A Google search turned out a bunch of results, but none of them said there’s actually been an alliance; they all were musing on the possibility of one. I haven’t seen anything that says it’s actually happened; they’ve just discussed it.

On the other hand, I think it’s a good idea for them to band together as long as they do it on the right issues. No compromises, but working together for a common end, even if they disagree on almost everything else? Seems like good strategy to me.

Ron Paul, Ralph Nader agree on ‘progressive-libertarian alliance’ | Raw Story

[quote=“SuddenImpact, post:6, topic:28996”]
Okay, this is this dude’s first post and he didn’t give a source; isn’t anyone here but me even slightly suspicious? A Google search turned out a bunch of results, but none of them said there’s actually been an alliance; they all were musing on the possibility of one. I haven’t seen anything that says it’s actually happened; they’ve just discussed it.

On the other hand, I think it’s a good idea for them to band together as long as they do it on the right issues. No compromises, but working together for a common end, even if they disagree on almost everything else? Seems like good strategy to me.
[/quote]Since links are not allowed for the first ten posts he may have had this in mind.

Ron Paul, Ralph Nader agree on ‘progressive-libertarian alliance’ | Raw Story

Links aren’t allowed - but URLs are, right? =/

That’s the story I found too, but if you read it, it doesn’t say that they’ve “announced” anything - just that they discussed the possibility on Fox. And I don’t think it can be the story he was referring to, because it looks to me like his post was quoting the article he read, and that particular phrasing doesn’t match up with the Raw Story article.

The thought of a Libertarian considering teaming up with the likes of Nader puts his whole political makeup in serious question. Nader is the ultimate “Nanny Stater”.

Suds, I fear you are correct. I went to FBC website and did a search. Nothing about an alliance came up. I,too, am suspicious.

I was looking for a link, too, sounded might suspicious to me. Sam, they had been able to put links in ever since the software was upgraded.

If he only did it on the issues they both support, I think it’s a good move. It’s if they made a deal - “if you scratch my back I’ll scratch yours” type of thing, so that he was abandoning his libertarian principles - that’s where the danger comes in. But just teaming up with someone who agrees with him on one issue, to push for that single issue to be fixed isn’t a problem. It’s basic strategy.

Well, it definitely happened - the clip’s on the link Sam posted. But I just don’t think you can say they’ve formed a coalition. I watched the clip, and all they said was that it was a good idea and that there was a lot the Tea Party and the progressives could agree on (namely cutting back corporatism)…there were no plans for action or anything. After they talked about that they went and discussed how Paul’s overseeing the Federal Reserve and how it was out of control, and then about cutting the deficit by starting with overseas programs. Maybe I missed it, but it doesn’t seem to me like they’ve actually decided anything.

Compromise with a Joe Lieberman is one thing, Nader is clear on the other side of the spectrum. To compromise you still have to give up something to get something. Anything Nader would want will hurt industry or our freedoms, probably both, PERIOD.

The “alliance” is not a card-carrying membership organization with an initiation ceremony. In politics lots of alliances (Dictionary: “a relationship based on an affinity in interests, nature, or qualities: ‘an alliance between medicine and morality.’”) are in place informally. That’s often the secret of legislative success - a handshake over the idea to promote or oppose something then onto the real work of strategizing how to get the job done. The Korea Free Trade deal has brought about an impressive alliance - an association; a relationship - made up of very diverse interests. That’s the point of my post - not whether the FEC or some government bureaucracy has somehow licensed or sanctioned this tactical alliance of Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Democrats, and Libertarians. For more specific info on what the issue is about, see Stop U.S.-Korea NAFTA

The old left vs. right divide is about as meaningful as that of the Guelphs vs. the Ghibellines. The remote ruling class keeps us at each other’s throats (“hick Neanderthals!” “pinko commie!”) so we don’t notice that our real enemy is the entrenched, parasitic bureaucracy in DC.

You can not negotiate, trade, swap, exchange, anything you want to call it, with a Progressive! You will lose a portion of your freedoms or rights every time. No matter how small a thing may seem at the time you do it. Look at what that cute, little, feel good Community Re-investment Act turned into. It seemed harmless at the time and in thirty some years, with a bit of “minor” tweaking mixed in the middle, did to our economy.

But they’re not compromising. They’re working together. It’s different - I wouldn’t support it if they were compromising.

If they want to get together for a barn raising, that’s cool. Any work on any policy statements, bills or anything will be crap. Anything that has ever come out of Nader’s mouth has attempted to restrict one freedom or another. Do some looking at his past proposals and the freedom of choice we have lost from any that were enacted. He is a solid believer that people are to stupid to take care of themselves and the Government is in place to take care of our daily lives. A leopard can not change his spots.