Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American

Let’s hope the Boston Marathon bomber is a white American
By David Sirota

2013/04/16

As we now move into the official Political Aftermath period of the Boston bombing — the period that will determine the long-term legislative fallout of the atrocity — the dynamics of privilege will undoubtedly influence the nation’s collective reaction to the attacks. That’s because privilege tends to determine: 1) which groups are — and are not — collectively denigrated or targeted for the unlawful actions of individuals; and 2) how big and politically game-changing the overall reaction ends up being.

This has been most obvious in the context of recent mass shootings. In those awful episodes, a religious or ethnic minority group lacking such privilege would likely be collectively slandered and/or targeted with surveillance or profiling (or worse) if some of its individuals comprised most of the mass shooters. However, white male privilege means white men are not collectively denigrated/targeted for those shootings — even though most come at the hands of white dudes.

Likewise, in the context of terrorist attacks, such privilege means white non-Islamic terrorists are typically portrayed not as representative of whole groups or ideologies, but as “lone wolf” threats to be dealt with as isolated law enforcement matters. Meanwhile, non-white or developing-world terrorism suspects are often reflexively portrayed as representative of larger conspiracies, ideologies and religions that must be dealt with as systemic threats — the kind potentially requiring everything from law enforcement action to military operations to civil liberties legislation to foreign policy shifts.

I hope you had a roller skate strapped to your chin before reading this reprehensible nonsense!

Come on Pete, it will be so much better for those families if they know it was a Right Wing White American Extremist, than any other flavor of terrorist.

The left wing rectums who have been spewing this caca are the lowest form of caca spewing rectums in existance.

I personally don’t really care what color the bombers skin is or what ideology he/she pretends to follow, lets just find the bastard already.

I don’t agree with Politicizing this tragedy.

I’ll call out folks who do regardless of their political denomination. And ridicule reprehensible fools like this one.

Likewise, in the context of terrorist attacks, such privilege means white non-Islamic terrorists are typically portrayed not as representative of whole groups or ideologies, but as “lone wolf” threats to be dealt with as isolated law enforcement matters. Meanwhile, non-white or developing-world terrorism suspects are often reflexively portrayed as representative of larger conspiracies, ideologies and religions that must be dealt with as systemic threats — the kind potentially requiring everything from law enforcement action to military operations to civil liberties legislation to foreign policy shifts.

Those “portrayals” are all generally true. White non-Islamic terrorists don’t usually belong to larger groups, they are mostly just “lone wolves” who went off their rocker. They weren’t indoctrinated into a violent ideology along with others of the same creed, which does constitute something that must be dealt with systematically. When a white loony does a shooting or something similar he is roundly condemned by everyone from his nationality and creed- when an Islamist blows something up (along with himself, or not) he’s seen by the more radical ones, who are growing in numbers, as a martyr and an inspiration.

I honestly thought all these “check your privilege” things were a joke, is that an actual ‘thing’ in the US?

And I sincerely hope it is an Islamist- American liberals need a wake up call, and for the sake of the nation I hope it never gets to the point where you have to deal with anything like the ones we get in Russia: multiple Moscow subway bombings, Nord-Ost theatre siege, siege of a school in Beslan occupied by terrorists, around 300 (mostly schoolchildren) dead on the first day of school… those photos (pic related) bring tears to my eyes.

---- “Thank you men of Alfa and Vympel” (Counterterrorist SF units, took casualties putting themselves in front of children taking fire from Islamist subhumans.) I’ve seen videos of them beheading Russian conscripts, 18 year old boys begging for their lives, shouting their ****ing ALLAHU ACKBAR every second. ****ing primitive untermenschen. This **** fills me with blind rage.

I was in a cigarette store yesterday and the owner starts telling me about zombies attacking when I mentioned guns being confiscated. There are plenty of people with loose screws.

If you were Arab, and when Muslims are already being ushered off planes by worried Boston marathon runners in the wake of this accident, you’d hope to that it wasn’t a Muslim.

Let’s not pretend it’s not true. It’s already manifested itself on these forums, with one thread calling a Muslim guilty because he happens to have the same last name as a someone who may be associated with terrorism… ridiculous. If I was Muslim, I’d be praying every night that this person who planted these bombs wouldn’t be Muslim.

Don’t care what I would think or pray if I belonged to a cult of pedophile (peace be upon him :rolleyes:) worship that still has internal wars over events that happened 1500 years ago. Being from Russia and living in the UK I know and am friends with completely normal, to some extent securalised Muslims, but the subsection of those that are mainly in the Middle East and Caucasus and still cling to and act on the actual tenets of their violent religion are primitive barbarians who need to be suppressed by force and stopped from immigrating to civilised countries.

Obviously innocent until proven guilty and all that must still apply, people shouldn’t be kicked off of planes for no reason, but I honestly see nothing wrong with profiling. It’s just necessary in situations where a defined group is producing so many militants. Hell, if we hadn’t sent the entire Chechen population to Siberia back then there’s a good chance the Eastern Front would have collapsed- when you’re fighting a war some rights have to be given up. Mosques with Imams who show the slightest bit of radicalism need to be closely monitored and infiltrated. Russia has been dealing with domestic Islamic terrorism since the USSR broke up (and even earlier than that on a smaller scale, never should have repatriated them), Western Europe has been letting them in for decades now and are starting to feel the effects- 7/7 in London was domestic Islamic terrorism, the Madrid train bombings were done by an Islamic cell, last year’s shootings in Toulouse and Montauban— you don’t want this kind of stuff happening in the US, and you’re not going to stop it without doing some things that might be considered “intolerant” by today’s standards. I’d sure as hell prefer being unfair to foreigners to keep my own people safe than letting civilians get bombed in their own cities in the name of fairness.

Anyway, that’s why I hope it was a Muslim. People need to realise that they are the largest threat out there right now and due process can be bent a little when people’s lives are on the line.

…yes, obsessing about something that happened 1500 years ago is ridiculous. Like classifying a religion a pedophile-worshipping cult because of someone who lived 1500 years ago. That would be ridiculous.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.goodjoe.com/images/images-design-image/design/25014-irony-1-original.jpg

Also, searching someone based on “profiling” is an illegal search, since, as we’ve said, you are innocent until proven guilty, and the color of your skin or your religion is not warranted reason to suspect someone of a crime. It’s not just “being unfair to foreigners.” It’s an unconstitutional justification for a search or detainment, unless we’re going to consider guilt by association warranted for detaining or suspecting someone.

Democrat sends ricin to someone? Now all democrats should be searched. No…

It would be ridiculous if they didn’t worship him anymore… and didn’t follow his lead anymore. Saudi Arabia’s age of consent is zero, lol, no legal sex outside of marriage but you can be married as young as 8, I’m not even sure there is a minimum. To reiterate, I’m not classifying all people who identify as Muslims as paedophile cultists, but the large subset that still lives in the stone age most definitely can be called that.

Also, searching someone based on “profiling” is an illegal search, since, as we’ve said, you are innocent until proven guilty, and the color of your skin or your religion is not warranted reason to suspect someone of a crime. It’s not just “being unfair to foreigners.” It’s an unconstitutional justification for a search or detainment, unless we’re going to consider guilt by association warranted for detaining or suspecting someone.

Democrat sends ricin to someone? Now all democrats should be searched. No…

Bad analogy. That’s the action of a single democrat who was acting out of personal convictions not related to the democratic ideology. Islamic terrorism happens over and over again and is motivated by their religion. So yes, guilt by association should warrant suspicion. If I’m a Federal Migration Service worker tasked with finding illegal immigrants I’m not going to ask the blonde-haired blue-eyed girl who speaks with a Muscovite accent for her documents, I’m going to check the Tajik street sweeper. If Centre E (anti-extremism body of the Ministry for Internal Affairs) gets a tip that there’s going to be an attack on the Sochi Olympics, down south close to the Caucasus, what groups should they investigate first? Do they have to assign equal resources to finding out whether it’s Russian extreme nationalists or Chechen terrorists because to do otherwise would be “profiling”? Whose car should they stop, the Cossack family who came over from Stavropol or the one with four bearded guys who are coming from Grozny? Not profiling doesn’t make any sense and results in deaths.

Trekky; would you please read and study about a subject or people before you "try’ to explain them away. As in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism [just to name basics]there are different denominations and sects fundamental to liberal. Islam is the same BUT the KORAN is the KORAN regardless who teaches it learns it and lives it. It is a Jihadist book. No if’ and’s or buts.
Now I could care less whether the Boston Bomber is Muslim or not, whatever, the person is deranged, Whether he be “Christian goofball” or agnostic, or whatever. I sometimes thing you argue just to sound important.

I didn’t even mention the Koran. I pointed out the hypocrisy of ridiculing a religion for obsessing over something that happened 1500 years ago when that’s pretty much the basis for all Abrahamic religions.

And don’t lecture to me. I know Islam is violent. That doesn’t justify profiling.

It Doesn’t?

[quote=“Trekky0623, post:13, topic:39108”]
I didn’t even mention the Koran. I pointed out the hypocrisy of ridiculing a religion for obsessing over something that happened 1500 years ago when that’s pretty much the basis for all Abrahamic religions.

And don’t lecture to me. I know Islam is violent. That doesn’t justify profiling.
[/quote]I profile. You profile. EVERYONE profiles.
Anyone who thinks profiling is wrong, knows nothing about security. I knew that drunks would cause me the worst anxiety when I worked in clubs. I saw a drunk, an I immediately knew if I would have trouble or not. Why? Because I had been in that position enough times to predict the eventual outcome. If you don’t recognize who is most dangerous to you, you are much more likely to be hurt.
Believe me, if you walked into a liquor store, and saw eight 200-300 lb men with chains on their wallets, skulls tattooed in their necks, with club colors flying, would you opt to wiggle past them to get a six pack? If you didn’t see the potential danger, you’d be considered by all around you, as stupidly naive. Nope, you’d be smart to wait, or to go elsewhere. If you turned around on a dim lit night, and saw me following you, and you didn’t run, you’d be considered clueless, since I am the size of a small black bear, and pretty ugly too. Trust me, you profile.

Being drunk and acting drunk is not the same as someone’s skin color or religion warranting a search. Or did you kick Irish out of your bar because you know that they were more likely to get really drunk? etc

Quit while you are behind. Why are you here? just to sound stupid? I am tiring of it. You are neither funny nor wise. Just plain argumentative and a baiter.
That whole last statement is strawman, it means nothing to the subject.
I take it you weren’t loved as a kid

Profiling an Irish man and a Muslim are different? How exactly?

quit son.

How is profiling an Irish man different from profiling an Arab?