Lets amend the bible and the constitution

On Monday, CNN host Piers Morgan invited Saddleback Church Pastor **Rick Warren **on his program to discuss gay marriage and the bible. Fresh off his feud with Second Amendment rights activists following his full-throated defense of stricter gun control laws in the wake of the Newtown massacre, Morgan inspired further outrage among the religious when he told the pastor he thought it was time for an “amendment to the bible.” In Morgan’s opinion, the bible, like the American Constitution, is “inherently flawed.”Piers Morgan: Bible And Constitution ‘Inherently Flawed,’ ‘Time For An Amendment To Bible’ | Mediaite Yeah liberals would love amending the bible as well as RINOs. There are so many inconvenient things in both. Morality and the law are so out of favor.

“Both the bible and the Constitution were well intentioned, but they are basically, inherently flawed. Hence, the need to amend it,” Morgan continued. “My point to you about gay rights, for example, it’s time for an amendment to the bible.”

“No,” Warren replied.

“You should compile a new bible,” Morgan laughed.

“I willingly admit that I base my worldview on the bible, which I believe is true,” Warren said. “Opinion changes, but truth doesn’t.”

“We’re going to have to disagree on that,” Morgan said.

If Morgan thought Warren would be a push-over compared to the more vociferous Second Amendment supporters, he learned that being firm and confident in one’s beliefs can also be calm. But if Morgan really doesn’t believe the Bible authoritative, why talk about editing it? Why not focus instead on showing why it is unworthy of trust?

The Constitution was designed to be ammeded, but not the Bible.

Excellent point.

Just remembered Libs’/Progs’ (printable) pet bogeyman term for what Morgan proposed: Bowdlerization.

Sanitizing Shakespeare (which, IIRC, is what the Bowdlers did) is liberal-secular sacrilege. Excising un-PC portions of the BIble, OTOH, seems to be cutting-edge (pun intended) thought in some Lib/Prog circles.

That reminds Pete about a movement a couple years ago to remove the N-word from Mark Twaine’s Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and replace it with the word, Slave. Well DL Hughley said it best about this movement. If you call me the N-word I still get to go home. But, if you call me slave, I have to go with you.

That brings back a fond memory, Bravo. As part of our family’s homeschooling, I read to my kids some years longer than families commonly do. The purpose was to challenge and encourage our kids to read by letting them hear what could be found in good books a little beyond their reading abilities. It was a tough job, but some one had to do it, :yes: . Anyway, one of the books I read to them was Tom Sawyer; the chapter “The Cat and the Painkiller” alone was a good reason to choose that book. Rather than pretend the N-Word wasn’t in it and leave discovering that fact to them at some later time, I used its presence as an opportunity for a brief History/Culture lesson. Good times!

I’ve asked quite a few atheists this, “If there is no God, why are you trying to kill him?” Haven’t gotten a logical answer yet. I think a true atheist wouldn’t be worried about whether others believe in God or not.

Bingo!

Bingo! One of our atheist members on this site is obsessed with God.

You know, Piers Morgan is getting just what he wanted, attention. The jerk is a second tier, no talent blowhard who strives for attention wherever he can get it. AND people give it to him. As for Warren he is just another pseudo Pastor who is more in it for the money than he is for the Salvation of others.

I know nothing about Morgan except what I have read here. As for Warren, I’m afraid I have to agree with you.

Piers Morgan initially came with the talent programs from Great Britain. he has nothing and is nothing but a big ego needing stroking. the more people ignore him the sooner, hopefully, he goes away.

As for Warren he is just another pseudo Pastor who is more in it for the money than he is for the Salvation of others.

As for Warren, I’m afraid I have to agree with you.

Seriously? Beyond these bare facts that Rick Warren:

• Is nationally known;

• Wrote a best-selling book;

• Hosted a Presidential debate in 2008;

• Pastors a large church in Southern California;

What do you know about Rick Warren that did not require looking him up in an information source or a search engine such as Google? And if the above is pretty much the extent of your knowledge of Rick Warren, how do you reconcile that with 1 Timothy 5:19?

Do not admit a charge against an elder except on the evidence of two or three witnesses.

That there are Fleecers of the Flock and Thieves in Shepherd’s Clothing “out there” is obvious, but are being nationally known, having written a best-selling book and being the pastor of a “mega-church” (ever seen an actual definition of that tendentious term?) evidence that a Christian leader is “more in it for the money than he is for the Salvation of others”?

So the Constitution can adapt to cultural change, but the Bible cannot? I don’t believe that. Heck, I’ve heard some argue that the New Testament itself is an amendment of the Old. Personally, I take the New Testament far more seriously than the Old.

I’m sorry Pete but Rick Warren and his ‘Purpose Driven’ books, make the "believer rely more on their own merits and not on the Work of the Holy Spirit. He reminds me more of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale than on Dr David Jeremiah.
If he would stick to pastoring his Church instead of playing Jerry Falwell on steroids, I might have a little more respect.

Warren’s right, IMO. Deeds (purpose) trump words (navel gazing), each and every time.

Jazz. The Scriptures need no amending, that would mean God makes mistakes and God does not make mistakes. The New Testament is the fulfilment of the Old Testament The Old Testament or Torah plus prophetical writings plus Historical writings proclaimed God’s Plan for His people and the New Testament Is God showing His plan through His Son in Redemption. The Bible in it’s entirety is God Breathed, God Inspired and God Written through man. The Constitution is man written through and through.
Salvation comes through Belief in Jeshua Messiah of Christ Jesus, that Jesus was the Atonement Gift for those who would believe. Deeds have NOTHING whatsoever to do with it.

Why would you attack me like that merely for expressing my opinion? Is Mr. Warren an “anti-Christian” too?

Reread! I spoke way out of line and apologize. Rick Warren is inflated on his own importance. He like so many others start of with the greatest of intentions but their ego’s get the better of them.