Libs Petition White House To Label Catholic Church A “Hate Group”…

Washington D.C., Jan 4, 2013 / 04:09 am (CNA/EWTN News).- An online petition asking the White House to designate the Catholic Church as a “hate group” for its views on marriage is drawing criticism for generating unjust animosity.

The petition reveals an “underlying agenda,” which is not simply to prevent violent crimes, but to “stigmatize any disapproval of homosexuality at all and essentially to silence us,” said Peter Sprigg, senior fellow for policy studies at the Family Research Council in Washington, D.C.

He explained to CNA on Jan. 3 that applying the “hate group” label to organizations that are morally opposed to redefining marriage is simply “name-calling designed to cut us out of the public debate.”

Initiated on Christmas Day, a petition on the White House website had collected 1,640 signatures by Jan. 3.

White House petitioned to label Catholic Church a ‘hate group’ :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Once again gays show they really want to destroy the church- the beacon of morality they despise.

I have a habit of checking whether lurid claims like this are actually fact, especially those made by Libs and Progs. So my first reaction was to scan the article sam linked for the name of the petitioning group or a link to the petition. I’ll save folks time … the article supplies neither. BUT, with a little basic Google-fu, I found the link for the petition, which is in the White House website Petitions area. The petition does not identify the petitioner(s) (Libs and Progs who might need/want to say this story is not real can claim the petition is a false-flag provocation). I can understand not wanting to give the petition page publicity and therefore not providing the link (which is, in turn, inconsistent with a claim that the petition is a false-flag provocation).

Bottom Line: this story is real. Whether the petition is the work of an isolated hate-driven fruitcake or a “mainstream” GLBT pressure group is not certain, as the petitioner(s) did not identify themselves.