Low-Carb/Atkins' Recipes

Thought I’d start a low-carb/Atkins’s recipe thread. Here is one of my favorites:

This is one of my own recipes for a dessert and works really well when I am having a need for something sweet and fruity. (I’ve tried all the different flavors and my favorites are black cherry, raspberry, and peach but they’re all good! Lemon tastes like lemon-meringue pie.)

1 large pkg. of sugar-free Jello or other gelatin mix–any flavor
2 cups boiling water
I cup cold water (a little less might be better if you like your gelatin a little firmer like I do)
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Make Jello/gelatin mix according to the first steps: dissolve gelatin in bowl by adding 2 cups boiling water slowly into bowl. Stir until completely dissolved.

Add 1 cup of cold water. Let sit for about 15 minutes to make sure the mixture is cooled off. Then add the cup of heavy whipping cream and mix well. Refrigerate until well set–at least 6 hours.

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or sugar-free whipped topping.

When you get your Carbquik, try these. Delicious.

CARBQUIK CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS
2 cups Carbquik
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water

Toss the Carbquik with the garlic powder. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or a fork until it looks like coarse meal. Add the cheese. Very briefly and gently stir in the liquid just until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough. Drop by large mounded spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450º 10-12 minutes until golden brown. These are best reheated in the oven or a toaster oven. I reheated mine in the toaster oven at about 300º for 4-5 minutes.
Makes 12 biscuits
Can be frozen

Per Serving 1 biscuit: 8g Dietary Fiber; ***2g Net Carbs ***

1 Like

Tiny: I just copy and pasted it into my own personal recipe file in Word. Thanks! Hopefully, I’ll be able to get the Carbquik soon!

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:3, topic:41503”]
Tiny: I just copy and pasted it into my own personal recipe file in Word. Thanks! Hopefully, I’ll be able to get the Carbquik soon!
[/quote]When you do, there are some good recipes on the box, and inside the box, printed on the cardboard. Plus, there are many online. You can also use old favorites, and convert them to low carb, but this will take some “tweaking”.

1 Like

Thanx CT. Bobjam, I lost everything in the fire, but I do have a good many perfected, in my head. I love to eat, and I love to cook. If you have questions, I am right here.

Low Carb Lemon Pound cake.
24 grams of Net Carbs and 136 grams of fibre per cake.

3 1/4 cups Carbquik
2 cups Truvia(granulated)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 whole eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Also, for topping, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 3-4 tbsp Granulated Truvia.
-Heat oven to 350°F.
-Butter angel food cake pan or bundt cake pan and dust with Carbquik.
-Beat all ingredients in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
-Melt 1/2 stick of butter. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice(topping). Pour into pan. Sprinkle Truvia on top of butter mixture.
-Pour cake ingredients into the pan.into pan.
-Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
-Cool 5 minutes; turn pan upside down onto wire rack or heatproof plate
-Remove pan; cool cake completely.

This is a Carbquik recipe that I “adjusted”. This is awesome. If you don’t tell anyone, you’ll fool everyone. Tastes better than restaurant cakes. Very filling and satisfying.

Got this from Tova Industries(Carbquik) website. Delicious.

Beef Enchilada Pie
5 grams net carb, per serving.

1 lb. ground beef
2 teaspoons chopped onion dried
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
2/3 c. broken up, Restaurant Style Edge Chips
4 ounce. shredded Cheddar cheese
4 ounce cream cheese
3/4 cup cream mixed with 3/4 cup water
3 eggs
3/4 cup Carbquik

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate 10 x 1 1/2 inch. Cook and stir ground beef, onion and garlic until brown; drain Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and sauce.
In processor; Beat milk, water, eggs and baking mix until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater Spread ½ beef mixture In pan… Layer edge chips, cheese, meat mixure. Pour Carbquik over top.
Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes…
Serve with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and sour cream, if desired.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:5, topic:41503”]
Thanx CT. Bobjam, I lost everything in the fire, but I do have a good many perfected, in my head. I love to eat, and I love to cook. If you have questions, I am right here.

Low Carb Lemon Pound cake.
24 grams of Net Carbs and 136 grams of fibre per cake.

3 1/4 cups Carbquik
2 cups Truvia(granulated)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 whole eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Also, for topping, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 3-4 tbsp Granulated Truvia.
-Heat oven to 350°F.
-Butter angel food cake pan or bundt cake pan and dust with Carbquik.
-Beat all ingredients in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
-Melt 1/2 stick of butter. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice(topping). Pour into pan. Sprinkle Truvia on top of butter mixture.
-Pour cake ingredients into the pan.into pan.
-Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
-Cool 5 minutes; turn pan upside down onto wire rack or heatproof plate
-Remove pan; cool cake completely.

This is a Carbquik recipe that I “adjusted”. This is awesome. If you don’t tell anyone, you’ll fool everyone. Tastes better than restaurant cakes. Very filling and satisfying.
[/quote]Coupla’ questions.

You said it is 24g carbs for the WHOLE cake. What do you think it would be per serving? How many servings does this produce?

Now I realize “servings” is subjective, and I could figure out how many of “my” servings is in a cake and thus get the carbs per serving for “me”.

But I’m still curious. How many of “your” servings does it produce? What size do YOU consider a serving of this cake to be? Thickness and area roughly?

Second question: Can I substitute Splenda for the Tuvia? What would be the ratio?

I’m sure you can substitute Splenda for Truvia… Splenda can be used in the same proportions as sugar. One cup of Splenda = one cup of sugar. I bet a nice addition/topping would be a dollop of either sugar-free whipped topping or homemade whipped cream!

[quote=“Tiny1, post:6, topic:41503”]
Got this from Tova Industries(Carbquik) website. Delicious.

Beef Enchilada Pie
5 grams net carb, per serving.

1 lb. ground beef
2 teaspoons chopped onion dried
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
2/3 c. broken up, Restaurant Style Edge Chips
4 ounce. shredded Cheddar cheese
4 ounce cream cheese
3/4 cup cream mixed with 3/4 cup water
3 eggs
3/4 cup Carbquik

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate 10 x 1 1/2 inch. Cook and stir ground beef, onion and garlic until brown; drain Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and sauce.
In processor; Beat milk, water, eggs and baking mix until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater Spread ½ beef mixture In pan… Layer edge chips, cheese, meat mixure. Pour Carbquik over top.
Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes…
Serve with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and sour cream, if desired.
[/quote]Modification question: I like Rotel Tomatoes (mild). How would that fit into the recipe? Substitute for the tomato sauce? Just sprinkle on top out of the can? Different amount if substituted for tomato sauce then? Any idea if cooking times would change if I did that (substitute for tomato sauce)?

I like chopped green onions too. Topping?

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:8, topic:41503”]
Splenda can be used in the same proportions as sugar. One cup of Splenda = one cup of sugar
[/quote]Yeah, but he didn’t give the amount as “sugar”. I need a conversion factor for Truvia to Splenda: XX cups of Truvia = XX cups of Splenda.

I suppose I could use XX cups of Truvia = XX cups of sugar, and convert using that intermediate step.

Am I missing something here?

See if this helps:

Conversion Chart | Truvia® Natural Sweetener - Natural Sweetness From the Stevia Leaf

Although I don’t care for Truvia, thanks for the link!

BTW, this is the first time I’ve seen you here. But, I see you’re not new. Glad to see another gal around this male-dominated site! :angel:

Thanks. I don’t use it either. What’s the guy to gal ratio around here now?

Errr…right now, about 5 to 50 or more…

[quote=“Caroline, post:13, topic:41503”]
What’s the guy to gal ratio around here now?
[/quote]I think it’s like a gazillion to 1. No, seriously it’s clearly much less, and most of the gals around here are bright and clear (2cent, CT, and Susanna come to mind.)

I think it may have changed from your times . . . I seem to see a few more gals in older threads than we have now. More top heavy with testosterone now.

It’s actually kinda nice. I’ve always had more male friends than female friends. Don’t know why, I just get along better with guys than with some gals.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:16, topic:41503”]
It’s actually kinda nice. I’ve always had more male friends than female friends. Don’t know why, I just get along better with guys than with some gals.
[/quote]No offense to the gals, but I think when there’s a crowd of all gals, the claws are likely to come out.

Don’t misunderstand . . . guys can get nasty to each other too, I just think it’s more likely to happen among gals.

Before my wife got Alzheimer’s, she used to tell me stories of when she was in a workplace with all gals. Her boss was a gal, and all her coworkers were gals. Geeeezzzz . . . some of the stories she had about that place were brutal. The claws came out every day.

As a teacher, I have always said I would rather have a full classroom of boys than a small handful of girls. Now, I am talking specifically the middle school and high school grade kids. Girls in those grade/age levels tend to be honing their “vicious” genes. Girls will hold onto a perceived hurt for decades. Boys will get mad, beat each other up on the playground, and then go play a game of baseball. Girls will plot the total destruction of another girl for looking at someone the wrong way. I believe this is part of the female nature. I’m sure it has something to do with hormones.

I too have had female bosses in the business world as well as in education. I have also had male bosses and without a doubt, I would rather have a male boss. I would have to say that for the most part, all the the administrators whom I have worked with or under that have been female, were all excellent. Interestingly, they made better principals than their male counterparts–even with boys.

Sure you can sub Splenda, but I think Truvia is a bit sweeter, so it may take a little tweaking. Truvia is granulated like sugar, so I like to use it for the topping. Once heat is applied, it seems to lose most of the bitter aftertaste.
I cut different sizes. But, if you quarter it, and take four slices from each quarter, it is minimal. If you like cake, 12 slices per cake yields 2 grams per slice, and 14 grams of fibre.

I actually tried Truvia, I liked it, but discovered they were using processed ingredients and some other things I didn’t like. I ended up switching to SweetLeaf myself.