Lunchbox mix-up leads to charges for Sanford teen

Lunchbox mix-up leads to charges for Sanford teen

12/28/10

Sanford, N.C. — An athletic and academic standout in Lee County said a lunchbox mix-up has cut short her senior year of high school and might hurt her college opportunities.

Ashley Smithwick, 17, of Sanford, was suspended from Southern Lee High School in October after school personnel found a small paring knife in her lunchbox.

The teen was initially given a 10-day suspension, then received notice that she was suspended the rest of the school year.

As this article, especially toward the end, indicates this smells of no-thought, vindictiveness and administrative sloppiness/weaselry. A thinking Principal or Vice Principal would have looked at the knife, the circumstances, the girl’s records and then told the girl that he would keep the knife till the end of the day, at which time one of her parents would need to pick it up along with her … end of story.

Pete,

You’re being logical. You ASSume way too much about or public school educators in many areas of the country. I would like to thiink that this is how our school corp handles such things because, we never hear about it but, I really don’t know. I’ll have to ask my son’s principal about it at the next basketball game. He will tell me the official school policy and the practical approach. Hopwfully they are one in the same.

You’re being logical. You ASSume way too much about or public school educators in many areas of the country.

Not really. We homeschooled our kids K-12. My thoughts are that often my phrase above, “thinking Principal or Vice Principal” is oxymoronic. Might have somewhat to do with having been expelled for 3 days, in 1970 for having defended myself in a fight. OTOH, I have no trouble acknowledging that good educators and administrators exist … and the idiots make the good ones stand out all the more.