Major earthquake rocks Iran, Gulf and India

Major earthquake rocks Iran, Gulf and India
Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44am EDT

(Reuters) - A major 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Iran near the border with Pakistan on Tuesday and tremors were felt in India and Gulf states.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake hit at 5.44 a.m. ET at a depth of 15.2 km (9.4 miles). The epicenter was in southeast Iran in an area of mountains and desert.

It was located 201 km (125 miles) southeast of the Iranian city of Zahedan and 250 km northwest of Turbat in Pakistan, USGS said.

Tall buildings shook in India’s capital New Delhi, sending people running into the streets, witnesses said. People also evacuated shaking buildings in Qatar and Dubai, residents said.

A powerful 6.3 magnitude quake struck close to Iran’s only nuclear power station on April 9, killing 37 people and injuring 850 as it destroyed homes and devastated two villages.

IIRC, the October, 1989 Loma Prieta quake that interrupted the World Series was 6.9 or 7.1. It brought down sections of a freeway, the Bay Bridge and homes in SF’s Marina District (all 50 or more miles from the epicenter). This quake was nearly 10X stronger (the Richter scale is logarithmic, not linear). Depending on nearby populations and the geography of the area 10s of thousands (or more!) may be dead.

Not hearing much about this either.

I’ve heard nothing about this, other than this thread.

I was born just a couple months after that quake, when ever we would drive over the Bay Bridge into the City my dad would always point out the original collapsed section to me.
But for the Iran quake I’m hearing something about 40ish people dead in Pakistan.

Up near the Pakistani border. Big continental shift there with the Himalayas . Not far from Terheran.

That this was felt, in significant strength, in New Delhi and Dubai suggests to me that the rock formations in the area are not as broken up with multiple faults the way CA is. Loma Prieta is near Santa Cruz, some 60 miles (in a straight line) from SF and Oakland where the damage was done. My parents lived about 150 highway miles from Loma Prieta and didn’t feel it at all. CA’s geography is chopped up with multiple faults and sub-faults, which interrupt the transmission of energy.

This article has a bit more info. I don’t think Iran is the sort of country that tends to talk openly and fully with info about disasters like this.

Maybe their nuclear facilities will go boom

The government controlled press in Iran isn’t saying much. The in-laws haven’t said anything about it either. This basically means that the government has restricted reporting of it.

Sorta of what I was thinking - but not necessarily literally “go boom.” Just be destroyed beyond repair. If we don’t do it, or Israel doesn’t do it, is there any reason to believe that God might not do it?

One can only hope

[quote=“Susanna, post:9, topic:39097”]
Sorta of what I was thinking - but not necessarily literally “go boom.” Just be destroyed beyond repair. If we don’t do it, or Israel doesn’t do it, is there any reason to believe that God might not do it?
[/quote]I agree with you