Make it a forum rule to cite sources

Try not to post moronic idiocies. In 1964 (when I began my language training at the Defense Language Institute) the Arabic course was 47 weeks…essentially one year allowing for the annual 30-day leave allowed all military personnel in those days. IIn fact, NO course was longer than 47 weeks in those days and many were 36 weeks. 47 weeks for languages that use a different alphabet and 36 for those using the English alphabet. I don’t doubt that it’s now 60+ weeks, since the Army doesn’t require school on Saturdays any longer, and they DID in 1964.

[quote=“Washington, post:20, topic:44295”]
This is the same type of argument I end up crushing conservatives on. Conservatism is a branch of the GOP or republican party and isn’t it’s own entity. However, you said Iranian language which is a branch of the Persian language. It’s technically not it’s own language. Learn the difference.
[/quote] At no time did I make that claim Washington. I said its a branch of the Semitic language family, which it is. Persian is a branch of the Indo-Iranian languages.

Conservatism is NOT a part of the GOP. There are CONSERVATIVES who align themselves somewhat with the GOP, but they are not part of the GOP. There are many conservatives here who would cringe at the thought that they are being clumped into the GOP, which they regard as mostly in opposition to conservative beliefs. Some like to call them “social conservatives” and some call them “fanatics” or “bible thumpers”.

5 Likes

Doesn’t matter they are a branch of they republican party whether they like it or not. I know this is a touchy subject, but it’s common sense. Don’t let your anger even if justified of the republican party get the best of you.

I’m going by the definition you provided. Do you have another definition?

[quote=“Washington, post:25, topic:44295”]
I’m going by the definition you provided. Do you have another definition?
[/quote] No, but I think you need to reread it… Its saying Iranian (which is a subfamily of the Indo-Iranian family) includes (among its subfamilies) the Persian language. For more info, check the Encyclopedia Britannica link I provided (after you responded to my original post, so I understand missing it)

“Sub family” Means a BRANCH! Means not it’s own entity. Means part of something else. Mean not it’s own language. Understand?

Here’s how it works… Indo-European branched off to several branches (sub families), including Indo-Iranian which in turn branched off into other languages including Indic (Which contains Hindi in one of its sub families) and Iranian. Iranian in turn branched off into several other languages Persian and Kurdish.

According to you then French is not a different language than Latin, since French is a branch of the Latin (Romance) languages.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Mandarin and Cantonese Chinese were longer courses. Arabic was, however, 47 weeks…period.

Pure unadulterated nonsense. The Webster Dictionary to which you provided a link, ITSELF says the first time the term “Indo-Iranian” was ever used was around the mid-19th Century. Do you think that nobody living in what is now Iran spoke Farsi then and suddenly, over the relatively short period of 150 years or so, the entire country decided to adopt a foreign language?

True, CT. There was a time when one could find conservative Democrats, though not any longer. When the Democrats effectively kicked all the conservatives OUT of the Democrat Party, most of them switched to the GOP, whose ROOTS were Conservative, even though the establishment-types have drifted further left every year, hoping to attract some Democrat liberals and some in the wishy-washy middle among “Independents” to the GOP. Most of that switch occurred in the late 1970’s and 1980’s, contrary to the left’s mantra that those that switched were the southern racists in the Democrat Party. The fact is, NONE of them switched except for a very few and they quickly found out that the GOP really didn’t have any place for them either…especially since it was the GOP that ended slavery and was responsible for the passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts…regardless of who signed the bills that were passed. LBJ signed them in very cynical fashion, stating “That’ll keep the (N-words) voting Democratic for the next 100 years.”

2 Likes

Conservatives are apart of the GOP, because they are a branch of it. They are a branch that has never fallen off or adopted it’s own ideology that is different than what republicanism was founded on.

Why would you think that anyone would do your homework for you?

One of many sad and frustrating realities to the politicization of our education system is that whole generations are so used to being told what to think and why as opposed to how to think critically and utilize their own minds to draw conclusions.

You can quite literally convince them of ANYTHING as long as you are standing in an “education” building and give them a “link”, they are taught to reject any and all views that are not prepackaged with a bow from the research of someone else.

Nobody from my era is going to waste time finding “links” to well know historic events that we witnessed with our own eyes just because you have chosen to only be exposed to a sanitized version of history that is designed to demonize America and Conservatives while deifying the Demoncrat Party.

ANYBODY who cares about truth already plays the devils advocate to their own beliefs, that is why I can argue the Liberal position better than Liberals themselves. I have never asked anyone to do my homework for me with the one exception of when I KNOW a Liberal is lying and I want to prove it by watching them fail to source their lie. In those cases I ALWAYS say “That is a lie”, never “find me a link”, the implication is never ignorance and sloth on my part but an accusation of nefarious action on the Liberals part.

Those who love truth seek it, those who find comfort in lies never even consider challenging their own beliefs; the proof of this is when they always demand that others do their homework for them.

6 Likes

[quote=“Pappadave, post:30, topic:44295”]
Pure unadulterated nonsense. The Webster Dictionary to which you provided a link, ITSELF says the first time the term “Indo-Iranian” was ever used was around the mid-19th Century. Do you think that nobody living in what is now Iran spoke Farsi then and suddenly, over the relatively short period of 150 years or so, the entire country decided to adopt a foreign language?
[/quote] So you know better than Encyclopedia Britanicca? Then Marriam-Webster? That is not only funny, but the height of arrogance. Are we living before the mid 19th century? Not last time I checked, last time I checked we are in the 21st century. Considering its been used by scholars and taught that way in colleges longer than any of us have been alive, I’d say that’s good enough to say you are wrong. The term the scholars are using is Iranian (of which Farsi is one branch of). Pappa, as someone claiming to be an Arabic linguist (even 50 years ago) you would know most of this.

Excellent question, RET. I said the same thing in a less direct way to him.

The only Language that matters is English.

[quote=“Washington, post:35, topic:44295”]
Excellent question, RET. I said the same thing in a less direct way to him.
[/quote] You guys are amazing. At least in Democratic hub they are open about it. There they say that conservative views are held to a higher standard. Here, its anything goes as long as its conservative/pro-Christian, but we just won’t say that in our rules.

And how is having someone cite their sources for their facts (like with the language issue) doing my homework for me? I could look for years for something saying there is no such thing as an Iranian language and all I would find is things saying there is. I’m saying that if someone has proof of what they are saying (other than with opinions or personal experiences), let them present it. Fact is Pappa can’t support what he’s saying (on the subject of the languages) with anything but his own word because he is wrong about the languages.

Take our word for it or provide actual facts that disprove it 100% without a shadow of a doubt. You disagree you show why.

You will find that people here are actually so smart in different areas that they don’t need sources and are old enough to where they are the source. You will also find that people here are very independent not just from Government, but in many other ways. You’ll also find out that you need a backbone if you are going to post here and better be solid in your beliefs or be prepared to listen and change them. If you can’t handle it then good luck to you. However, quit the complaining and telling others here who are older more successful and in most cases wiser than you what to do. We don’t want to hear it. Feel free to “suggest” things, though, we welcome that. :slight_smile: You’ll also find that there are many non christians here that are well respected and pretty smart.

1 Like

[quote=“Pappadave, post:30, topic:44295”]
[/quote] I reject your use of the term Farsi, since the first time that word was used was the mid 19th well. (same standard you are using to say Iranian isn’t a language…) The actual language (and what Farsi means according to Marriam-Webster) is Persian (the term Farsi comes from the words Fars Persian) Farsi - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

[quote=“Washington, post:38, topic:44295”]
Take our word for it or provide actual facts that disprove it 100% without a shadow of a doubt. You disagree you show why.
You will find that people here are actually so smart in different areas that they don’t need sources and are old enough to where they are the source. You will also find that people here are very independent not just from Government, but in many other ways. You’ll also find out that you need a backbone if you are going to post here and better be solid in your beliefs or be prepared to listen and change them. If you can’t handle it then good luck to you. However, quit the complaining and telling others here who are older more successful and in most cases wiser than you what to do. We don’t want to hear it. Feel free to “suggest” things, though, we welcome that. :slight_smile: You’ll also find that there are many non christians here that are well respected and pretty smart.
[/quote] And despite that, Pappadave is still insisting he is right (that there is no such thing as a language called Iranian) when Marriam-Webster and Encyclopedia Britannica both say there is. I would say those two sources ‘provide actual facts that disprove it 100% without a shadow of a doubt.’ I have shown why I disagree with Pappadave, he refuses to afford the same respect to me other than to say, ‘This is the way it is because I say so’.

It’s not the forum’s job to police citations in posts. If someone doesn’t post reliable sources, their reputation in the forum will reflect that. There is no need for a rule that people must provide sources. At best it would simply hamper discussion.

and btw Iranian is not a language. No one speaks Iranian even though they may speak languages classified as Iranian.

7 Likes