Marijuana is drug most often linked to crime, study finds

Marijuana is the drug most often linked to crime in the United States, the U.S. drug czar said Thursday, dismissing calls for legalization as a “bumper-sticker approach” that should be avoided.
Gil Kerlikowske, the White House director of national drug-control policy, said a study by his office showed a strong link between drug use and crime. Eighty percent of the adult males arrested for crimes in Sacramento, Calif., last year tested positive for at least one illegal drug. Marijuana was the most commonly detected drug, found in 54 percent of those arrested.

Read more here: Marijuana is drug most often linked to crime, study finds | McClatchyAh those harmless drugs that some want to legalize.

How many of these crimes was drug possession?

Probably the majority.

Thank you.

Exactly. Thread fail.

Nowhere did the article say that. You are jumping to conclusions.

Study fail.

[quote=“Susanna, post:6, topic:39582”]
Nowhere did the article say that. You are jumping to conclusions.
[/quote]It is the usual denial of truth from those who think drugs cause no harm, crimes, abuse, death , and etc. It was apparent they did not even read the article just came to drop their opinion

So what crimes were they incarcerated for?

Your article did not provide that information. I suspect a high number of these people are in there for drug charges, if not most of them. So it’s really a fallacy to say, “well if we legalize these drugs we will have more crime”, when, in fact, it would get rid of a large amount of crime just by changing the law.

Also, correlation does not always mean causation either. There is no reason in thinking marijuana is going to cause people to steal or kill or commit fraud. Sure, it may happen in some cases. But usually these people are already troubled, and that is why they are attracted to the drug.

Finally, most non-liberals understand banning things won’t stop people who want them from getting them. (Cough, guns)

Do I even need to go into how keeping drugs illegal empowers drug cartels?

Excerpted from Compassion Versus Guilt, and other Essays

Marijuana is the drug most often linked to crime in the United States, the U.S. drug czar said Thursday

Stupidest remark I’ve heard in a coon’s age. Especially since the crime link can be severed immediately just by legalizing the stuff.

The immoral drug apologists are always eager to point out the great % of prisoners that are incarcerated for nonviolent offenses. They hope their propaganda will gloss over the fact that many of the “nonviolent” crimes they pout about are crimes of theft committed to obtain money for those drugs. Nearly 20% of all prisoners, state and federal, committed their crimes to obtain money to buy drugs. The burglar who breaks into your truck in the middle of the night to buy more pot is one of the angels the drug apologist liars would seek to protect. If drugs are legalized, they would not simply become free for everyone to purchase, so you can rest assured if all of these criminals were free to buy as much as they wanted they would be stealing even more. And do you really want millions more Democrats legally allowed to vote running around? Having that many more Democrat voters could, by itself, result in more loss of American life, wealth, and property than the crimes they could ever commit via failed policies alone.

Please, tell me how many marijuana ‘addicts’ there are out there committing robbery to fund their use. There are probably a few thieves who stole and bought some weed later but this isn’t a physically addictive, withdrawal-causing substance, you’re not going to start having seizures or feel incredible pain at any touch if you don’t get a “fix”… the worst that will happen to a heavy user quitting cold turkey is some trouble falling asleep. It simply doesn’t motivate crimes like that.

You suspect wrong

Only 6% of inmates are in jail for drug possession but only .3% are in jail for marijuana possession

Alcohol is far more dangerous than weed.

I don’t think that criminals steal to get money for pot. I think the fact is more that criminals who steal, to get money, also smoke pot.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:16, topic:39582”]
I don’t think that criminals steal to get money for pot. I think the fact is more that criminals who steal, to get money, also smoke pot.
[/quote] Or consume alcohol.

[quote=“OldStyleBlues, post:17, topic:39582”]
Or consume alcohol.
[/quote]Or both. I consume alcohol. I have not been drunk in over 35 years, except once on an overdose of NyQuil.
I’ve been around a lot of potheads. I’ve been around a lot of drunks. I’ve seen positive and negative things about both. Use of either isn’t dangerous. Abuse of either is definitely cause for concern.

[quote=“Tiny1, post:18, topic:39582”]
Or both. I consume alcohol. I have not been drunk in over 35 years, except once on an overdose of NyQuil.
I’ve been around a lot of potheads. I’ve been around a lot of drunks. I’ve seen positive and negative things about both. Use of either isn’t dangerous. Abuse of either is definitely cause for concern.
[/quote] Wow we agree on something.

[quote=“OldStyleBlues, post:19, topic:39582”]
Wow we agree on something.
[/quote]Truth is true.