Marjorie Taylor Greene tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their oaths on a Bible in a resurfaced video

Marjorie Taylor Greene tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their oaths on a Bible in a resurfaced video

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a QAnon-supporting Republican who is known for pushing conspiracy theories and making racists comments, previously tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their congressional oaths on the Bible.

Video footage surfaced on Wednesday of Ms Greene walking through the halls of Congress prior to being elected as a Georgia representative.

In the footage, she was claiming that Ms Omar and Ms Tlaib were illegitimate Democratic representatives because they took their oaths of office on the Quran instead of the Bible.

Watch more

• Marjorie Taylor Greene harasses Parkland survivor in new video|1.5x1

Marjorie Taylor Greene harasses Parkland survivor in new video

• Jen Psaki says White House will not talk ‘further’ about Taylor Greene|1.5x1

Jen Psaki says White House will not talk ‘further’ about Taylor Greene

• GOP leader to confront QAnon congresswoman over conspiracy posts|1.5x1

GOP leader to confront QAnon congresswoman over conspiracy posts

“We’re going to explain about how you can’t swear in on the Quran,” Ms Greene said in the footage. “We’re going to have the Bible and ask them if they would swear in on the Bible … I think that’s important.”

Someone off-camera then told Ms Greene that she was “infringing” on the two representatives’ religion by asking them to take their oaths of office with the Bible instead of the Quran.

“It wasn’t a law yet … at the time they swore in. I think at the time they swore in it wasn’t passed, because it wouldn’t pass in a Republican-controlled … “ Ms Greene said. “So they’re not really official, I don’t think.”

What she was insinuating in that video was that there was some law that required all members of Congress to be sworn in on the Bible. At the time of Ms Omar and Ms Tlaib’s ceremonies, Ms Greene claimed, there was no law allowing them to use a Quran over the Bible.

This position has been repeated in recent years by other fringe members of the Republican party, and it’s inaccurate.

There has never been a law in United States history that requires an elected official of the country to take the oath of office with a Bible or any other religious text. The United States Constitution actually states "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” Why does the Constitution specifically say this? The Framers of the Constitution valued the separation of church versus state.

Skip in 5

Skip in 5

Four presidents and several members of Congress have been sworn in without the use of a Bible.

The resurfaced video comes after a CNN KFile report revealed that Ms Greene has filled her social media feed with several extremist viewpoints in recent years before she was elected to office in November.

In a January 2019 Facebook post, Ms Greene “liked” a comment advocating “a bullet to the head” for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, according to a screenshot shared by CNN.

Marjorie Taylor Greene tried to force Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib to retake their oaths on a Bible in a resurfaced video | The Independent

It’s pretty obvious whenever the phrase “religious freedom”, is being used it’s code for Christianity Uber Alles*.

*Catholics subject to further scrutiny.

This woman is a complete lunatic. From Georgia, huh? I blame cousin marriages. (My mother’s people are from there, but got out after the Civil War and came to Texas.)

The Devil may use scripture to his own purpose.

Religious freedom is a subset of intellectual freedom in general, and there are plenty of people who hate the idea of intellectual freedom, and in particular freedom of expression, like death itself.

And these freedom-haters are by no means all on the Right, or all religious fundamentalists.

Note that (some) people on the Left would explode at teaching ridiculous origin-myths to white children, but are perfectly happy to have nonsense taught to Black children. (I believe most white Leftists believe that Blacks are indeed intellectually inferior to whites, and they show this by policies like approving teaching Black children myths as fact.)

1 Like

I believe that your belief makes you inferior to blacks.

Okay, now sit down and think real hard before replying:
My belief in what? That Leftists (some of them) want white kids to learn real science and history, but are okay with teaching crap to Black kids (for their own good, of course). You doubt that?

Religion can be twisted in any way to make it conform to a political point of view. The Confederacy claimed that their new constitution was superior to the North’s version because it mentioned God and the Union one did not. While they were saying that, they were making excuses that God meant for African-Americans to be slaves because it was best for them.

This why I am not a fan of religion, especially the blind variety of it where you accept everything a preacher tells at face value. A preacher can be as sinful as the next man.

Look at Jimmy Swaggart. He got caught with a prostitute once, came on TV crying his eyes out, mosly to save his religion incorporated business. After that experience, darned if he didn’t get caught again! Yet there are saps who still follow him.

What are you babbling about? The democrats aren’t against math and science. Math and Science are literally the opposite of religion. Why do you think Democrats teach different things to different races?

So long as it’s not in an economic textbook.

When it is, they’re just as bad as a Bible-thumper denying evolution.

It’s hoisting emotional reasoning to deny empirical facts, the both of them.

The funniest people are the ones who use the bible to “Prove things”
LOL

Or when politicians champion examples that go against their own policies.

Truly, politicians and economics go together like Christian Scientists.

Knock it off. I’ve warned you about the insults before; and dragging race into it is especially a no-no. I’m done warning.

1 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I guess this explains why the left favor abortion and can’t figure out the connection between XY and XX chromosomes, and male and female…
2 Prove it instead of just saying it.

I said some Leftists (I did not say ‘Democrats’, although most of them are no doubt Democrats) teach nonsense to Black children, whereas they teach real science to white children. They would not teach white children that their ancestors were Adam and Eve. But they do teach the equivalent – ie a falsehood – to Black children. Not everywhere, but evidently pretty widely.

You seem to doubt this, but I assure it’s true. Don’t have such naive faith in the Left! White guilt can make otherwise rational people act pretty badly.

By the way, I’m not talking about Left or Right interpretations of recent history, such as the Leftist glorification of lumpen hustlers like the leadership of the Black Panther Party fifty years ago, who practically have joined George Lloyd in sainthood in the Lefty telling. That’s bad enough. I’m talking ‘origins’.

where does this “separate teaching” take place??

In schools. School districts adopt this ridiculous mythology. No doubt run by school boards made up of white-guilt liberal chowderheads, who think that white kids need to be taught the real thing, but Black kids have to be taught mythology.

I know you find this hard to believe. In fact, when I first read about it, years ago, I found it hard to believe myself, at first. But it’s true. You have to understand that your side, the Left, is just as much bound up in its mythology and lies, as my side. Well … it’s not something that’s easy to mathematize, so let’s say, your side has plenty of lies, hypocrisy, etc, as well as my side.

So if you want to laugh at Young Earth Creationists, or fundamentalist preachers caught screwing the daughters (and sons) of their congregants, go ahead, throw those stones. But you’re living in a glass house.

Actually, I should correct something I said above about white-guilt liberal chowderhead school boards wanting to teach white kids the real thing. They don’t. They just don’t want the kids to learn any religion – it’s not that they are committed to objective truth. They’re just depriving the Right of a weapon, as they see it. They’ll be teaching plenty of nonsense to the white kids as well. (Try even mentioning the hypotheses of the evolutionary psychologists in a schoolroom, for example, and see what happens!)

Religion is dying out and that’s a very good thing

That is a very foolish statement, @MisterBlue. Civilization is held together by a thin veneer of civility. Religion provides a great deal of that veneer.

Did you see what happened to some of the people who got caught up in the riots last summer? That was what happens when morality to tossed aside.

religion has caused more war and violence than anything else ever has. talk about a foolish statement.

Oh and by the way did you see what happened at the capitol Jan 6??? no morals at all

Mr Blue is very keen to see if I can back up my claim that the Progressive Left want Black children to learn howling nonsense, but his natural kindness and good manners have kept him from pressing me on it, for fear that I might not be able to substantiate it, and would be embarrassed. I thank him for this kindness, but I never had anything to worry about.

So here it is, in summary, from Wikipedia: [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Baseline_Essays ] >

The African-American Baseline Essays are a series of educational materials commissioned in 1987 by the [Portland public school district in Portland, Oregon and compiled by Asa Grant Hilliard III intended to “provide information about the history, culture, and contributions of Africans and African-Americans in the disciplines of Art, Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and Music,” to “be used by teachers and other District staff as a reference and resource just as adopted textbooks and other resources are used” as part of “a huge multicultural curriculum-development effort.”

Despite criticism of their inaccuracies and “Egypt-centric” outlook, the Baseline Essays were widely adopted in the early 90s by large school districts throughout the United States.

Their inclusion of the essay “African and African-American Contributions to Science and Technology” by Hunter Havelin Adams III[ was criticized in particular for promoting pseudoscientific ideas like astrology, psychokinesis , and “psychoenergetics” as Egyptian science." Adams’ essay is referenced in the article behind the Sokal affair; in light of this the Baseline Essays themselves have sometimes been called a hoax, but they are still available on the Portland Public Schools web site.

You actually have to read this crap to see how crazy it is. As the Skeptical Inquirer author noted
“Although the authors of the “African-American Baseline Essays” were supposedly selected because of their knowledge of their specific disciplines and because of their expertise in African and African-American history, the scholarly credentials of the authors of the science and mathematics essays are highly suspect. The author of the science essay is Hunter Havelin Adams III, who is described in the foreword to the essays as a “research scientist at Argonne National Laboratory.” Adams was not, in fact, a research scientist but a hygiene technician who had only a high school diploma.”

These nutty papers were well exposed by an article in the (liberal) Skeptical Enquirer by Walter Rowe in September/October 1993 (Volume 19, Issue Number 5). You have to be a subscriber to this journal (which I am) to be able to download and read the whole article, but anyone who wants to read it – and it’s really hilarious! – can PM me with an email address and I’ll send you a PDF of it.

Here’s a very brief extract from this really excellent, thorough article:

"In another section of the science essay Adams discusses what he calls “psychoenergetics,” saying, “The ancient Egyptians were known the world over as the masters of ‘magic’ (psi): precognition, psychokinesis, remote viewing and other underdeveloped huma n capabilities.”

Rowe was a professor at a university in Washington DC when he wrote this 27 years ago. Now, he would be fired immediately, if not physically assaulted by our new Lefist Nazis.

It’s really sick: liberals think crazy stuff like this – Black are descended from Egyptians, who had ‘psychokinetic technology’ ! — is good enough for Black children. Now that is real, genuine, copper-plated racism.

Science and rationality for white kids, and religion is of course out of the question.

But for the Blacks? Insane mythology about their ancestors being people who had psionic technology!
That shows you what white Lefties really think about Blacks, way down deep.

The same as the Ku Klux Klan thinks. It’s just that the Klan are more honest about it.

I await with interest Mr Blue’s response.

1 Like