Matthew 7

What is Matthew 7 all about? Nearly every one in the world can quote the first two words (although they may not know the reference). If they read the entire verse, they may get an inkling of what it is trying to convey. “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” So, you’re not supposed to judge, so that you won’t be judged. Is that it precisely? No, verse 2 goes on to say that we will be judged by the same standards we judge by. So if you can’t live up to the standards you are judging by, you could be in trouble.

The chapter goes on to elaborate, giving the example of the mote and the beam. But notice what it says at the end of the example: If you first take the beam out of your own eye, then you can see clearly to take the mote out of your brother’s eye. In other words, the only reason it was wrong in the first place to take note of the mote in your brother’s eye was because you had something bigger in your own eye. But if you have nothing in your own eye, it’s OK to offer to take the mote out of your brother’s eye. You are doing him a favor.

The rest of the chapter is all about judging. “Don’t throw that which is holy to the dogs, and don’t cast your pearls before swine.” You have to identify “dogs” and “swine.” That is judging.

There is a warning about the broad gate and the narrow gate. That involves judgement (and often involves judging people, because it is people who would lead us to one gate or the other). It warns us against false prophets. We have to judge who are the false prophets.

It goes on with an elaborate discussion on good fruit and bad fruit. “Ye shall know them by their fruit.” Judging, again.

We have the warning of the wise man and the foolish man. In the example, it is easy to “judge” between them.

Let him who calls Christians intolerant because we reject his behaviour which God has already judged, beware that he will be judged by the same yardstick that he judges with. It seems that the people who cry intolerance the loudest are the most intolerant.

Beautifully written, Susanna! Yes, it is the ones who yelp and whine about tolerance who are the most intolerant. It is amazing to me, however, that so many don’t seem to recognize that.

People also confuse Judging with Discernment.

We are able to Judge/Discern a situation or a persons actions without fearing that we are doing the sin of judgment.

For example, I know that a drug addict or bank robber don’t have my Christian values and I choose not to associate with them.

1 Corinthians 15:33New King James Version (NKJV)

33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”

The sin of judgment comes from judging the Heart condition of the individual.

Who knows … That addict or bank robber may one day become a Christian brother or sister?

Only God can know the heart of man.

This happens with a lot of scripture because of the tendency to present scripture to people using translations like the King James which are not very similar to how we commonly speak English in the United States, here is how it reads in the NLT;

Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.

This is just another way of saying “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”, it does not condemn the act of making a judgement about anything or anyone.

But sometimes the source of the error is willful ignorance, many who oppose the Scripture will reject all truth if doing so will keep their position alive and seemingly plausible.

All misery stems from judgement: a pregnant woman judges a fetus is not worth the inconvenience of pregnancy; a junkie judges getting high is worth ODing; a stockbroker judges money is worth more than playing by the rules; a society judges a racial minority to be sub-human; a dictator judges power is more important than the lives of his people.

I think good comes from following one’s heart, but evil comes from judgement. The less we judge others, the better off we are.

Disagree. The GUIDE to judgment is the written word of God. IT tells us by what criteria we may judge others and as long as we use IT’S criteria, we need have no fear of God’s judgment on ourselves. In my “judgment” Obama is the personification of evil because of the evil that he has done to this country and the world and I’m perfectly content for God to judge ME by the same criteria.

No, all misery stems from bad judgement.

Good Judgement is always a blessing.

Much of that sounds like you’re confusing judgement with “justify.”

The apostle Paul talked a great deal about judging in I Corinthians 6. He was warning against taking our differences to a secular court.

(1 Corinthians 6:2) Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

(1 Corinthians 6:3) Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

(1 Corinthians 6:4) If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

Jeremiah 17:9
[SUP]9 [/SUP]The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately sick;
who can understand it?

RIGHT JUDGEMENT | Following Jesus Christ

I think about all the people who do not believe in the virgin birth of Christ. They have all kinds of ways Mary could have become pregnant - the most common one being that she was unfaithful to Joseph. And the most ridiculous one that she was raped by a Roman soldier. The most “reasonable” one - outside of the truth - would be simply that she and Joseph didn’t wait for the religious ceremony. Of course, the first likely response to that would be that the Bible makes it clear that Joseph wasn’t the father. So what, if you don’t believe the Bible about the virgin birth, why believe anything else that the Bible says about it (or anything else)? The people of the day probably thought simply that Mary and Joseph didn’t wait until the religious ceremony. They had gone through the civil ceremony (the espousal), and often many couples didn’t wait for the religious ceremony, although some areas were stricter than others about waiting until the religious ceremony, and the understanding that I got was that Joseph and Mary lived in one of those regions.

Correct. You have the right idea.
The Greek root word for Judge, has two different meanings.
First, involves discernment, which we are admonished to use, in "let the reader use discernment."
Second, is Judgement. We are not to be in judgement, but we are to discern.
We are to evaluate if a certain thing, deed or idea is Godly and just, or not Godly, and choose that which is Godly. We are not to pass judgement on our brothers and sisters, lest God pass sentence, on us.
Well Done, sis.