McConnell warns that trade deal can’t pass Congress before 2016 elections

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) dealt a significant blow to President Obama’s global trade agenda Thursday, declaring that a sweeping pact with 11 Pacific Rim nations should not be sent to Congress for approval until after the 2016 elections — and maybe not until after Obama leaves office.
McConnell, who previously supported efforts to enhance Obama’s trade negotiating powers, signaled that he was undecided on how he would vote on the deal, but he was clear that the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) would be defeated if it were sent to Capitol Hill next spring or summer, as the administration was planning to do.
“It certainly shouldn’t come before the election. I don’t think so, and I have some serious problems with what I think it is,” McConnell said in an exclusive interview with The Washington Post. “But I think the president would be making a big mistake to try to have that voted on during the election. There’s significant pushback all over the place.”
McConnell’s resistance to moving the pact casts doubt on whether Obama will be able to secure approval for the largest such trade deal ever considered, and one that the president had hoped would be among his final legacy-burnishing efforts. A year into his new role, McConnell also sought to more broadly tamp down expectations for any other breakthrough legislative accomplishments — “I’d be surprised” — before Obama finishes his term in January 2017.

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mcconnell-warns-that-trade-deal-cant-pass-congress-before-2016-elections/2015/12/10/b8151f26-9f66-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

What? McConnell is not going to give obama another win well lets wait I am sure the GOP will move this forward to help destroy the country.

I think he’s probably trying to drum up support so that it can be passed before the 2016 election - or perhaps by a lame duck congress after the election.

Nah…the writing is on the wall. It’s going nowhere. It needed a lot of GOP support which ain’t there. Even McConnell has gotten the message. Right or wrong, good or bad, it won’t be passed until after the election if ever.

From the OP article:

“It certainly shouldn’t come before the election. I don’t think so, and I have some serious problems with what I think it is,” McConnell said in an exclusive interview with The Washington Post. “But I think the president would be making a big mistake to try to have that voted on during the election.

McConnell sounds like he’s trying to help the guy. What’s odd is that this TPP is highly contested by Democrats. Something sound a little odd in that to you, too?
~snip~

The TPP would lower tariffs on services and goods, including beef, pork, dairy and automobiles, and establish new regulatory provisions for newer industries, including financial services, pharmaceuticals and entertainment production companies. It would also regulate the flow of information and commerce over the Internet.

AHEM!
It feels awfully weird agreeing with Dems. Usually if they think something is bad, it’s good. Not this time. I didn’t like this from the get-go, and the more I learn, the more I dislike it.

Be fun, though, if McConnell weren’t so stupid, and let it come up for a vote.

The Right in Canada supports this agreement in a strong manner, the left doesn’t at all. Our current government, is left/centralist, and they have been non-committal, which means basically, we will wait to follow Clinton when she wins the election in 2016 (that is the expectation in Canada). She has said she is against it, so is GOP front runner Trump.

This appears to be a large waste of seven years of negotiations. What probably happens is that Japan, Australia and other Asian nations will negotiate a trade agreement, China could get some access in such an agreement more than likely even if minor. Russia has a partnership agreement with the EU, which could expand if an Asian agreement that does not include Russia is negotiated.

Living in North America isn’t conducive to ease of global access, that is, if we all want to participate in such economic developments. Trade agreements free from unnatural tariffs are a vital component to business risk and encouraging economic activity.