Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat: ‘We Can’t Just Leave it Up to The Parents'

Today’s Nanny State quote comes from FLOTUS Michelle Obama. If you will recall, Michelle has been on this healthy eating kick, even getting a child nutrition bill passed through Congress and officially signed into law by her hubby. During yesterday’s signing ceremony for the law, Michelle Obama came out with this telling line about what children should eat: “We can’t just leave it up to the parents.”
Here we go again. Similar to the argument I already made, above, about healthcare … liberals seem to believe that government can make better decisions than you. In the case of ObamaCare, it is the decision to procure health insurance. In the case of your children’s eating habits, it is the parents’ ability to feed their children healthy food. This imperial federal government mentality – the concept that government always knows what is best for you – is what separates liberals from those who love freedom and personal responsibility. Since when has it become the government’s job to decide what we should be feeding our children? Easy answer: it is not the government’s job.
RECTAL-CRANIAL INVERSION MOMENT OF THE DAY - Nealz Nuze on boortz.com

Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat:
This is offensive, to say the least, on many levels. First of all, for Moochelle to act like an all knowing elitist who knows more about our kids’ well being than the parents who are mindless dumb masses. Secondly, the fact the federal government is supposed to regulate what we do, what we eat and what our children eat in a free society is reprehensible.

She is just saying how they all feel, communists don’t think anything should be left up to regular people.

This is truly shameless misrepresentation and dishonesty.

J.A doesn’t specify what the “this” is to which he refers as “shameless misrepresentation and dishonesty”. But I’m guessing that he didn’t got to the CNS News article RW linked and either listen to the 1-minute clip that gives the context of what Michelle Obama said or read this quote from her speech:

“Everywhere I go, fortunately, I meet parents who are working very hard to make sure that their kids are healthy,” said Mrs. Obama. “They’re doing things like cutting down on desserts and trying to increase fruits and vegetables. They’re trying to teach their kids the kind of healthy habits that will stay with them for a lifetime.

“But when our kids spend so much of their time each day in school, and when many children get up to half their daily calories from school meals, it’s clear that we as a nation have a responsibility to meet as well,” Mrs. Obama said. “We can’t just leave it up to the parents. I think that parents have a right to expect that their efforts at home won’t be undone each day in the school cafeteria or in the vending machine in the hallway. I think that our parents have a right to expect that their kids will be served fresh, healthy food that meets high nutritional standards.”

Perhaps it was J.A who “shamelessly misrepresented and was dishonest”? Or maybe just careless and hasty? Or just carelessly ambiguous?

Shameless misrepresenttion of WHAT, exactly, and dishonest HOW, exactly?

[quote=“Right_Wing, post:1, topic:28582”]
Today’s Nanny State quote comes from FLOTUS Michelle Obama. If you will recall, Michelle has been on this healthy eating kick, even getting a child nutrition bill passed through Congress and officially signed into law by her hubby. During yesterday’s signing ceremony for the law, Michelle Obama came out with this telling line about what children should eat: “We can’t just leave it up to the parents.”
Here we go again. Similar to the argument I already made, above, about healthcare … liberals seem to believe that government can make better decisions than you. In the case of ObamaCare, it is the decision to procure health insurance. In the case of your children’s eating habits, it is the parents’ ability to feed their children healthy food. This imperial federal government mentality – the concept that government always knows what is best for you – is what separates liberals from those who love freedom and personal responsibility. Since when has it become the government’s job to decide what we should be feeding our children? Easy answer: it is not the government’s job.
RECTAL-CRANIAL INVERSION MOMENT OF THE DAY - Nealz Nuze on boortz.com

Michelle Obama on Deciding What Kids Eat:
This is offensive, to say the least, on many levels. First of all, for Michelle to act like an all knowing elitist who knows more about our kids’ well being than the parents who are mindless dumb masses. Secondly, the fact the federal government is supposed to regulate what we do, what we eat and what our children eat in a free society is reprehensible.
[/quote]Funny thing she does not practice what she preaches to others on what they should do.

Of course we can’t leave it up to the parents, just look how many people were raised incorrectly enough to vote against her man and the current congress!

Still waiting…

[quote=“2cent, post:8, topic:28582”]
Still waiting…
[/quote]:popc1:waiting

[QUOTE=JAnderson]This is truly shameless misrepresentation and dishonesty.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is complete dishonesty to claim that she said that when there is a video + audio of the event.

Your idea of honesty has always been relatively weak though: anyone who disagrees and isn’t “enlightened” like you is dishonest, just like how your communist brethren in Washington have made it so regular people can’t make any of their own decisions.

Actually, obesity was far less of a problem back in the 1950s and before when everyone’s parents packed their kids lunches.

There are several reasons for this:

1. Grains are literally as cheap as dirt and schools are broke because the government couldn’t manage a crack house. Grains make you fat, as evidenced by what you feed to livestock to fatten them etc.
  2. The government will buy the food from whoever represents their most important interest… IE: the grain lobby. The food pyramid reflects this. As an aside, ethanol subsidies are also a scam to please the grain lobby.
  3. The government benefits from people being fat. If there is an “obesity crisis”, the government can seize control over the food industries. Just like how obamacare does nothing to solve, nor does it try to solve, any of the problems with the health care system, which were all created by the government to begin with.

All this takes is the tiniest bit of self-determination of flipping these idiots the bird.
HELLO! Anybody on the ‘lunch program’ more than likely already GETS FOOD STAMPS.
Or not…
…I’ll let you in on a dirty little secret. The schools are not so stupid as to actually CHECK to see if those enrolling are ‘entitled’. I know this for a FACT. Well, at least in 2 schools where I’ve volunteered in 2 different states. I don’t imagine they’re any different that the other 55.

[quote=“2cent, post:12, topic:28582”]
All this takes is the tiniest bit of self-determination of flipping these idiots the bird.
HELLO! Anybody on the ‘lunch program’ more than likely already GETS FOOD STAMPS.
Or not…
…I’ll let you in on a dirty little secret. The schools are not so stupid as to actually CHECK to see if those enrolling are ‘entitled’. I know this for a FACT. Well, at least in 2 schools where I’ve volunteered in 2 different states. I don’t imagine they’re any different that the other 55.
[/quote]Now adays it is common for schools to put all the children they can on food programs because it brings in extra money.

I refuse to explain what is simply obvious to anyone with a shred of objectivity and intellectual honesty. Since it’s clear that none of you have either, I see no reason to waste my time. For all of you, respect for truth and a desire for a sane and accurate view of the world has plainly taken a back seat to the desire to validate your extreme hatred for the President and his family. It’s similar to (but quite frankly worse than) the deranged hatred many on the left had for President Bush.

J. Anderson…
And you wonder why some of us SUSPECT - not claim - that you might be viewing this universe from an entirely different, possibly drug-induced, perspective, than the rest of us.

I refuse to explain what is simply obvious to anyone with a shred of objectivity and intellectual honesty.

:coffee_spray: Translation: Oh, crap! I got caught and trying to bluster my way past this is easier that saying, "I was wrong." :coffee_spray:

Since it’s clear that none of you have either, I see no reason to waste my time. For all of you, respect for truth and a desire for a sane and accurate view of the world has plainly taken a back seat to the desire to validate your extreme hatred for the President and his family. It’s similar to (but quite frankly worse than) the deranged hatred many on the left had for President Bush.

:coffee_spray: And from bluster, J.A proceeds to commit two fundamental logical fallacies - an ad hominem attack and a strawman argument. :coffee_spray:

Puh-THEH-tick! [SIZE=“1”]But not entirely surprising.[/SIZE]

Just what color is the sky in your world?

Maybe it’s the same sky Nat King Cole sang about?

Explain what? She said it. What is there to explain? Is this where liberal academics introduce the subject of alternative truth? Oh goodie! I love that one. Hold on; let me get my bong so I can keep up.

[quote=“J.Anderson, post:14, topic:28582”]
Since it’s clear that none of you have either, I see no reason to waste my time. For all of you, respect for truth and a desire for a sane and accurate view of the world has plainly taken a back seat to the desire to validate your extreme hatred for the President and his family. It’s similar to (but quite frankly worse than) the deranged hatred many on the left had for President Bush.
[/quote]Ah yes, directly quoting a liberal is considered hatred.

The first family is subject to criticism when they participate in forming public policy. Mrs. Obama has done that time and time again and therefore her words are absolutely fair game.

Copied from Subvet’s post becauseThis message is hidden because J.Anderson is on your ignore list.

Originally Posted by J.Anderson
Since it’s clear that none of you have either, I see no reason to waste my time.

Does that mean you’re going away?