Migrant Caravan

Huh, all right. That’s fair enough, actually. The statuses are treated differently, (i guess maybe because refuge is temporary and asylum is permanent?) Hell, it might even make some form of sense (It’s the government, though, so… )
But even if 100% of the caravan is eligible for and deserving of asylum, exactly 0% of them have the right to crash the border or demand anything from America or Americans. I am perfectly willing to extend the benefits of being an American (or just living and working here) to any person from anywhere, so long as they accept the attendant duties, responsibilties and obligations of citizenship or residency, and that begins with obeying the same laws with which I have to live. If that is too much to ask, piss off and die in your 3rd world dungheap…

Uh, what do you mean by “crash”?

The proper procedure is to show up, and ask for asylum at the border. They travel in groups, because that’s safer, and that’s not a trivial matter to them. The caravan in Mexico City right now may just split up because they can’t decide whether its better to go quickly or through a longer route, safely.

In case you missed it, some of them are flying the flag of the country they are leaving as they make their trek. If they are still enamored with the place they are leaving, what kind of citizens are they going to be once the get here?

There are a lot of “in your face” aspects to this caravan. The message is, “We are entitled to benefits, and you owe them to us.”

Years ago there was big rally of former Mexican residents in Los Angeles. They made the mistake of carrying Mexican flags while they marched. That’s not good PR. Most Americans don’t know the history, but there are a fair number of Mexicans who think that they should get back the lands that Mexico lost as a result of the Mexican War in 1848. That was part of what this Mexican flag waving was all about.

Are you in favor of expelling those who don’t follow the procedures?

I am. Why should they get ahead of those who are obeying the law?

I already talked about this. This is about the political situation in their country. The caravan is a stunt aimed at their president, not ours.

70-80% of the most recent caravan are Honduran, so it’s really about that place in particular.

Asylum is a different system and a different pool than general immigration.

The main difference being; your life is in danger.

And as I stated before; 93% of the caravan in April were accepted as legitimate asylum seekers. The general approval rate is just 76%.

You didn’t answer my question about those who jump the line and ignore the procedures and the law.

People spend thousands of dollars to get to come to this country legally. That should probably change, but why should they be left in line because others cut in?

Just did.

LOL!! What s DUMB comparison. Today is NOT 100 years ago. Its a new world. Come join us in it.

Maybe you forgot the British invasion of Washington and bombing of the white house in in 1814, during the War of 1812 between the United States and England? Woops.

And speaking of 1915, In 1915, the Liberating Army of Races and Peoples attempted to execute its Plan of San Diego to reconquer the southwestern United States, setting off the Bandit War and conducting raids into Texas from across the Mexican Border. On March 9, 1916, Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa and his Villistas invaded Columbus, New Mexico in the Border War’s Battle of Columbus, triggering the Pancho Villa Expedition in response, led by Major General John J. Pershing. WOOPS!!

By the way, remember the Alamo.

Good grief. Go back to your special ed class learn something

Wrong AGAIN, AS! (Doesn’t it get tiresome?). The proper method to claim asylum is to go to a bona fide PORT OF ENTRY and apply for it. You cannot swim the Rio Grande and THEN claim asylum from the border patrol who happens by, nor can you hop fence and do the same thing. You know as well as WE do, that if these people are NOT stopped by the Border Patrol, they’ll simply disappear into the country and NEVER claim “asylum” from ANYONE.

The operative points being “at the border” and “ask”. Not six months and 400 miles away, and not demanding or filing law suits to compel.

Prior to the opening of Ellis Island, there was so much land that people could come here and disappear. Also there were not a lot of social services to attract them, only an opportunity to do better IF they were willing to work.

After Ellis Island, a good number of them got sent straight home if they were physically ill, mentally ill or had a criminal record. They were kicked out. That was it. Others got kicked out later if they proved to be undesirable. They didn’t get to come here and freeload off the American tax payer.

On the border.

Or be inside the U.S.

Yes, that’s how you can do this:
https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/can-you-request-asylum-border.html

And that’s how they’re doing it.

We still have land, we’re only 5% developed, which is half the rate of other developed countries.

We turned away 2% of people under Ellis Send. 2%.

I’d be all in for readopting the Ellis island system. We didn’t care about the dozens of other inane rules we have today. We also understood that immigration was for manpower 1st of all, not skills.

Ellis Island didn’t stand in the way of immigration reaching its natural clearing point.

The immigration waves of the 1890s, were bigger, than what we’ve gotten in recent years.

They were the largest migrations of Humans on the planet until China in the 1980s and 90s.

We were a smaller country, with less ability to police disease or crime or terrorism (the Anarchists), and immigrants were more likely to compete with natives for the same jobs.

And yet… it worked out?

Your move bub.

Just like the fake news liars, you mix up “immigrants” with “illegal aliens”. Trump and the GOP love and welcome “immigrants”. But illegal aliens and people who sneak in illegally, they have to be deported ASAP. They are criminals who have broken federal law:

8 U.S. Code § 1325 - Improper entry by alien
Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both

They don’t, they talk about limiting legal immigration all. the. time. Not realizing that this is what leads to illegal immigration.

I’m not mixing up a damn thing, it’s cause & effect. You got more illegal immigration, because you suppressed legal immigration at a level too low for either the economy, or immigrants to accept. You create black markets pulling that crap.

If we had the Ellis Island today, or the Bracero of Eisenhower, illegal immigration would be a footnote.
Because immigration could then reach a clearing point.

Shouldn’t have let the Labor unions’ lawyers write our current immigration law. That was a critical error, no two ways about it.

You lie. I am one of “they”, and “they” do.

And as usual you cut off the important part of my post so I shall re-post:
Just like the fake news liars, you mix up “immigrants” with “illegal aliens”. Trump and the GOP love and welcome “immigrants”. But illegal aliens and people who sneak in illegally, they have to be deported ASAP. They are criminals who have broken federal law:

8 U.S. Code § 1325 - Improper entry by alien
Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both

I go to conventions, I know what I’m talking about as I hear people say it in person.

And Trump himself has laid this out as policy.

Crucially, the green card reforms in the RAISE Act will give American workers a pay raise by reducing unskilled immigration,

The RAISE act cuts the number of green cards in half.

So no, you got it wrong pal. If you have a disagreement with doing this, then be honest about it and quit beating around the bush.

As did you:

Cause & effect:

You cannot avoid it:

History illuminates everything about the issue. We got illegal aliens, again, because we changed the law.

Don’t want illegals? Fix what you got wrong. Return to what worked.