Miscellaneous Short Quotes From Some Of RO's Posters

1. The Statue of Liberty is literally an old metal icon. Is it old? Yes. Metal? Yes. Icon. Yes. The fact that its an “icon” I hold with a bit of humor and slight embarrassment, not for myself, not for America, but that the whole human race puts meaning behind an “icon”, any icon be it flag, staue, cross, crescent, hammer, sickle, star etc… Usually they are icons because we are told so and we are told so to make us feel a certain way. Kind of pathetic. So I have a little disdain for any icon. Hope that answers your question.

2. If there’s something better out there then absolutely. Why should we bind ourselves to an antiquated system because of some feeling of irrational pride or nostalgia or whatever the feeling is? The question is whether there’s something better. If you’re asking if we should abolish all those institutions because I have a hate for them then no. They serve their purpose and will continue to until something better comes along.

3. I see no problem in casting doubt on an institution. Especially one that operates as an agent of violence for our government. We should always be weary of how our military is used. However I think we’ll find most faults of the military are firmly in the hands of government. Where most in the military are not represented by their so called “representatives”. The military is used as an agent for economic gain and economic protection. And the ones with the most to lose step foot no where near the military but are at the same time those who profit from it the most. Casting doubt on the military is a bad decision, casting doubt on who controls the military and who controls the controllers is a better one. And no I don’t criticize individual soldiers unless they’ve individually done something stupid, like pissing on a dead person or molesting prisoners.

4. No, unless someone comes up with something better. However, if one is born here and hates the government then I could easily see how they would consider it slavery. The Constitution is only valid if you agree with it.

5. Yes, I and many other great Americans feel the government is evil and I feel like a slave to this government.

[quote=“BullsOnParade, post:21, topic:36635”]

1. The Statue of Liberty is literally an old metal icon. Is it old? Yes. Metal? Yes. Icon. Yes. The fact that its an “icon” I hold with a bit of humor and slight embarrassment, not for myself, not for America, but that the whole human race puts meaning behind an “icon”, any icon be it flag, staue, cross, crescent, hammer, sickle, star etc… Usually they are icons because we are told so and we are told so to make us feel a certain way. Kind of pathetic. So I have a little disdain for any icon. Hope that answers your question.

2. If there’s something better out there then absolutely. Why should we bind ourselves to an antiquated system because of some feeling of irrational pride or nostalgia or whatever the feeling is? The question is whether there’s something better. If you’re asking if we should abolish all those institutions because I have a hate for them then no. They serve their purpose and will continue to until something better comes along.

3. I see no problem in casting doubt on an institution. Especially one that operates as an agent of violence for our government. We should always be weary of how our military is used. However I think we’ll find most faults of the military are firmly in the hands of government. Where most in the military are not represented by their so called “representatives”. The military is used as an agent for economic gain and economic protection. And the ones with the most to lose step foot no where near the military but are at the same time those who profit from it the most. Casting doubt on the military is a bad decision, casting doubt on who controls the military and who controls the controllers is a better one. And no I don’t criticize individual soldiers unless they’ve individually done something stupid, like pissing on a dead person or molesting prisoners.

4. No, unless someone comes up with something better. However, if one is born here and hates the government then I could easily see how they would consider it slavery. The Constitution is only valid if you agree with it.

5. Yes, I and many other great Americans feel the government is evil and I feel like a slave to this government.
    [/quote]Thank you.

Good talk

`

** “… that very well could lead to a terrifying conclusion …” **[That Christianity is true.]

"I think the reason Atheist’s object to being identified as “religious” in their position is because they tell themselves that those with Faith in God are committing themselves to a completely unverifiable concept, then they tell themselves that they are much too smart to embrace ridiculous fantasy’s in place of verifiable reality.

The “indoctrinated Christian” and the “educated Atheist” are the 2 false premises that feed their ego and serve as noise to drown out their tireless conscience that keeps tap, tap, tapping away internally to remind them that they are embracing a lie.

When Christians tell them that God is provable they recoil as from a hot flame because this destroys one of their critical premises that they have built their house of cards on.

When they are reminded that Atheism requires a much larger leap of Faith than belief in God they vehemently reject this idea as well because this destroys their other critical premise.

Both premises must endure so the recording can continue to play in a loop within their minds, if either premise falls then the only option is much study that very well could lead to a terrifying conclusion." __RET

Post 40
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/federal-court-u-s-supreme-court-ruling-atheism-religion-41026/index4.html#post598445
In case the link dies RET’s excerpt is located in the Faith and Beliefs Forum,
thread titled: Federal Court & U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheism is Religion

(If your have any comments please make them over at the thread linked above,
this thread is just for excerpts or quotes made by RO’s posters.)

`

`

** “…Let’s go through some basic Hume 101 …” **

"… Let’s go through some basic Hume 101. If a proper use of reason undermines itself, then reason is in big trouble. There is no contradiction here. Again: if a person seeking to undermine reason makes use of reason for that purpose, there is no problem here.

** However: here is the hornets nest for you. Reverse this complaint: how can reason be justified except through use of reason? What could be used to justify reason except for reason itself? And if only reason can justify reason, then doesn’t that mean that reason can only ever make use of a circular justification? But reason also holds that circular arguments are fallacious. Hence, it would seem that a non-fallacious justification for reason is impossible. Going on three hundred years later, no one has come up with a good answer to Hume’s problem."** __J. Anderson

Post 226
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/can-you-truly-moral-person-without-objective-moral-system-41255/index23.html#post609217

** “[One pilgrim] claims that “physical reality” can act as an Archimedean point — or a sort of objective vantage point — with which we can compare and ultimately validate reason. ** This would have been a really good argument if all philosophy had stopped around the 17th century, but of course we had these guys named Hume and Kant in the 18th century. In order for reason to interact with physical reality in the manner [this pilgrim] is supposing, it would have to be the case that the human mind is a passive receiver of that physical reality. But all human experience is conceptualized. So either the the world is preconceptualized (that is, the concepts of our experience exist themselves as part of the nature of physical reality), or concepts are built and formed into sense data by reason to form a mediated experience.** That is to say: raw sense data is shaped into concepts by the human mind and by reason. And if the latter is the case, then what we experience as “physical reality” is in large part the construct of reason, and so can’t be used as an Archimedean point for reason in any sort of meta-epistemological sense.” **
__J. Anderson

Post 245
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/can-you-truly-moral-person-without-objective-moral-system-41255/index25.html#post610392

[QUOTE]
**Archimedean point **
An Archimedean point (or “Punctum Archimedis”) is a hypothetical vantage point from which an observer can objectively perceive the subject of inquiry, with a view of totality. The ideal of “removing oneself” from the object of study so that one can see it in relation to all other things, but remain independent of them, is described by a view from an Archimedean point.

The expression comes from Archimedes, who supposedly claimed that he could lift the Earth off its foundation if he were given a place to stand, one solid point, and a long enough lever. This is also mentioned in Descartes’ second meditation with regards to finding certainty, the ‘unmovable point’ Archimedes sought.[1]

Example quote: “We can no more separate our theories and concepts from our data and percepts than we can find a true Archimedean point—a god’s-eye view—of ourselves and our world.” [2]
Archimedean point - encyclopedia article about Archimedean point.
[/QUOTE]
Both quotes located in the Faith and Beliefs Forum
Thread titled "Can You Be A Truly Moral Person Without An Objective Moral System"
Bracket inserts by Jack [ … ]
(Emphasis by Jack)

Please no comments in this thread, make all comments in the thread linked above. Thanks.

`
** “… it’s symbols like Old Glory and the Statue of Liberty out there as reminders of why we can’t give up …”__ 2cent **

[quote=“BobJam, post:118, topic:40793”]
All of us that hold the Statue of Liberty in high regard and us flag wavers agree with you 100%.

[QUOTE=2cent;614769]
Good deal.

I’m sure I’m no different than many others who have days they throw up their arms in disgust, swearing they give up.

But it isn’t but a day or two later that we’re brushing ourselves off, pulling ourselves up by our boot straps, 'cuz we realize we’ve no right to give up.

And it’s symbols like Old Glory and the Statue of Liberty out there as reminders of why we can’t give up that help make it so.

They give us hope, and without hope, there is nothing.

And it is with God that we know there is hope.

I see no reason for the need to separate the two. As a matter of fact, I see very good reason to combine the two.
[/quote][/QUOTE]

2cent’s post up there is a keeper. Highly encouraging. 100% true. Up-lifting. Positive. Constructive. Faith building. Has good fighting spirit. Has Hope. Magnificent!

Bravo!

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Located in the “Left vs. Right” Forum
Post 136
Thread titled: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/flag-desecration-protected-first-amendment-42126/index14.html#post614843

(Please make any comments you may have in the thread linked above. Thank you.)

`
**Fantasy Chaser Wrote: **

Man! That was a magnificent jewel of a statement up there! :yeahthat: X’s 100

Post 51 here: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/how-often-do-you-question-your-faith-43813/index6.html#post648058

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Magnablush

1 Like

`

That’s a keeper, Caroline. Gotta keep that statement. Magnificent. Beautiful.

A rose for you, dear.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r741/JackHectorman/single_rose_zps9319e718.jpg

Located in post 101
Faith and Beliefs Forum
Thread titled: How Often Do You Question Your Faith
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/how-often-do-you-question-your-faith-43813/index11.html#post648232

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

`

1 Like

`
2cent wrote:

Ah 2cent, that’s a Lovely & Lovable thing to say … much appreciated … today seems to be **the day for beautiful quotes … a chivalrous Swords and Roses kind of day.

Located:
Post 89
Left vs. Right Forum
Thread: Vince Lombardi And "Self-esteem"
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/vince-lombardi-self-esteem-43815/index9.html#post648264

**(See Caroline’s quote just above, also added over here today.)

Reminds me very much of the old story–attributed to Galileo (rightly or wrongly) that illustrates this principle. Supposedly, Galileo was, at one time, a professor of astronomy in a university. One of his students presented him with a working model of a heliocentric solar system (as it was then known). It had brass balls on rods, purporting to be the sun and the then-known planets. The base had a crank handle which, when turned, showed the planets rotating around the sun more or less accurately as such things were then known. One of Galileo’s fellow astronomers was fascinated by the device which Galileo kept on his desk. The second teacher, who was an atheist and pretty outspoken about his atheism, asked Galileo who made the thing because he wanted to get one made for himself. Galileo insisted that no one had “made” it…that it had just magically appeared on his desk one day. The friend insisted and persisted to ask who’d made it. Finally, Galileo replied, "Why do you insist that someone HAD to have made this little device when the real thing, a much more marvelous construct, you insist just happened by “accident?”

3 Likes

`
A Poster Wrote:
“I tried Christianity too, but it’s hard to accept a salvation that is just a supernatural ghost world.”

RET Replied:

Located:
Post 2
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/i-dont-know-im-speechless-44017/#post650956
Left vs. Right Forum
Thread: “I don’t know, I’m speechless.”

`
In an effort to get a liberal to stay here at RO, the atheist Cactus Jack said:

Located:
Post 70
Left vs. Right Forum
Thread titled: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/very-wise-man-once-said-43529/index7.html#post642036

:diamonds:

Old Rino sayeth:

Located:
Left vs. Right Forum
Thread: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f10/countries-no-minimum-wage-out-perform-countries-who-have-one-large-margin-44195/index34.html#post656479
Post 331

`

• “… the most common mistake in people’s search for Biblical understanding …”__Tiny *

Amen X’s 1000 to that! The absolute truth … magnificent statement!

Post 8
Located in Faith and Beliefs Forum.
Thread titled: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/salvation-44381/#post658086

Post 15
Faith and Beliefs Forum
Thread titled: http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/salvation-44381/index2.html#post658140

`

1 Like

Something I hadn’t considered. Thanks. An old, family friend once called my mother in tears. She’d found Christ in her life and it dawned on her that, since her parents were both Shinto (she was niesei Japanese) she feared that she would never get to see them in Heaven. My mother assured her that those who live good, decent, caring, moral lives wouldn’t be excluded by the God SHE worshipped.

:smile: You’re welcome, I was glad to put it over here.

[ And many thanks to FC ~~ and C.S.Lewis ~~]

One thing you need to beware of - salvation is always and only through Jesus. However, Billy Graham once said that he believed there were many people who loved and served Jesus without knowing his name.

When that happened, there was a poster here that said that Billy Graham didn’t believe that Jesus was the only way - which, of course, was not at all what he said.

`
** *“My purpose is to do what I can to help secularize the Western world.”__Cactus Jack * **

Post 30
Faith and Beliefs Forum
http://www.republicanoperative.com/forums/f22/salvation-44381/index3.html#post658413

To the readership:
If you have any comments, please make all comments in the thread from whence the post originally came. See link above. Thanks. [I am attempting to use this thread only for the actual quotes themselves.]

:diamonds: