Missouri senator sits during Pledge of Allegiance in protest

A Democratic state senator from St. Louis refused to stand while her colleagues recited the Pledge of Allegiance in the Missouri Capitol.

Sen. Jamilah Nasheed said she acted in solidarity with San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who has refused to stand for the national anthem all season in protest of police brutality and racial oppression in the United States.

Missouri senator sits during Pledge of Allegiance in protest | Politics - KMBC Home

Same Idiot:** see below**

Anti-Gun Senator Jamilah Nasheed Arrested In Ferguson Carrying A 9mm

Pure scum, I have been saying for years that the Left hate this country and everything it stands for and has ever been; I remember being called a “Ridiculous Extremist” many times but these days they are not even trying to hide it so I just say “See, I told you so”.

The disrespect of our country has been going on for a long time. (Sad to say). Maybe it’s human nature to get used to freedoms & just assume they will always be there. I remember many years ago a picture taken at a parade. The flag was going by & one old guy in a wheel chair stood up while everyone else was sitting. I guess that there’s nothing we can do about it but it sucks.
The funny part is that even people that try to support our country don’t seems to know how. Every 4th of July the flags come out in my neighborhood. Often for weeks they are on display both before & after. I know that everyone has seen that happen. But here’s the kicker. You don’t just leave your flag out over night, that is disrespectful. They should have a light on them. My feeling that that light should be dedicated to the flag, not just a porch lite, which I don’t have. So I never leave it out overnight.

Define “This Country”.

Tell me, who decides what a country stands for, you?

What kind of moral or cultural degredation occurs when people don’t take their flags in. I mean, give me some real world examples of the negitive effects.

csbrown, case in point.

**What kind of moral or cultural degredation occurs when people don’t take their flags in. I mean, give me some real world examples of the negitive effects. **
Actually is more of a standard RULE when displaying the flag. There are written rules about how to display the flag. My guess is that they would be easy to find online. I also know they are in the PME book used for testing in the military.

Are they actually rules or just guidelines?

Are they actually rules or just guidelines?
Both. Like what part of a stage the flag should be on. If it is suspended across a street, which way it should go. That it should be higher than any other flag displayed with it. Even (for instance) if it is to displayed at half mast it should be raised to the top & then lowered the proper amount. And of course that it should be lighted if displayed out side at night. If I remember correctly (& I’d bet money on it) it should have a dedicated light source on it (like a small spotlight). Seems to me that most places I see it outside it has 3 lights on it but I could be wrong about that. Other things off the top of my head are: When it passes (like in a parade) people should stand, military should salute (unless in formation, then the person in charge of the formation salutes) & others should put their hand over their heart. That one I kind of object to. I saluted our flag for 20 years & I kind of miss it.

Public Law

4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag

Current through Pub. L. 114-38. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)
US Code
Notes
prev | next
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
© The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
(Added Pub. L. 105–225, § 2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)

“This Country” is the United States of America
"What it stands for" is outlined in it’s founding Declaration
"Who decided what it stands for" were the Founders and citizens of the new Republic who fought to earn their independence.

The very idea that I had to spell that out is a damning testament to our education system.

So you said…

> “Pure scum, I have been saying for years that the Left hate this country and everything it stands for and has ever been; I remember being called a “Ridiculous Extremist” many times but these days they are not even trying to hide it so I just say “See, I told you so”.”

Is it not possible to love your country, but refuse to turn a blind eye to its sins?

Now you said that the left hates “everything this country stands for”, then explained that “What it stands for is outlined in it’s founding Declaration”.

Anything specific? I’m certain you would label me a Liberal. Defend your statement. Do you believe that I don’t agree that all men (and women) are created equal? Do you think that I disagree with the idea that people have certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness?

Disagreeing with certain actions taken by your nation are not the same as hating it. Only people trying to objectify others by speaking in absolutes in order to sew hatred and divisiveness hoping to divide our nation and sew the seeds of mistrust say things like that. I am the patriot sir, you are the zealot.

You quote it, but do you understand what it means? You could very well say you agree with it, by simply inferring a different understanding of those words than what the Founders meant by it.

Well, unless Ret knows that all Liberals don’t understand it, my comment stands.

I know full well that all Liberals understand those words, and they reject them as a philosophy for a Nation.

When you generalize an entire group of people by describing your disgust and revulsion, of their actions. Hundreds of millions of people don’t pass your test, I think the word you used was “pond scum”. You are guilty of my accusations and you only continue to prove my point. Now perhaps you were just generalizing for the audience here at RO who are unlikely to call you out, but I did call you and you had the opportunity to clarify your statement, but instead to chose to double down. Whatever you or anyone else believes the flag stands for, I’m certain that’s not it.

Black teacher stomps and then ask students for a lighter to burn the flag

http://www.fayobserver.com/content/tncms/live/

Fayetteville teacher placed on leave in flag controversy

A history teacher in Cumberland County was placed on paid administrative leave Tuesday after coming under fire for stepping on the U.S. flag as part of a lesson on the First Amendment.

Lee Francis, who teaches at Massey Hill Classical High School, said he is scheduled to meet with Cumberland County Schools system officials Thursday to discuss the incident stemming from a lesson in his American History class.

“It’s really disconcerting,” he said. “My question to everyone is who is entitled to freedom of speech? Does everyone have access to freedom of speech? It’s unfortunate that all this has happened.”

For what it’s worth, I disagree with the teacher’s methods in this case. I couldn’t read the article as the link is “forbidden”, I would simply say that it’s not necessary in that case, given what I can read from your excerpt, to actually carry out the act in order to communicate it’s meaning so that kids in a school can understand it. I don’t need to get arrested in order to describe the right to remain silent to a child, the way I might have to perform a science experiment in order to demonstrate some affect.

I also think that balancing a persons right to carry out an act like flag burning should be balanced with the idea that the flag deserves reverence and should stand for something. Clearly, this teacher failed to balance those two ideals.

North Carolina teacher steps on U.S. flag as part of free-speech lesson, reports say | cleveland.com

North Carolina teacher steps on U.S. flag as part of free-speech lesson, reports say

FAYETTVILLE, North Carolina — A teacher trying to give a lesson on free speech is accused of stomping on a U.S. flag, causing a controversy that is gaining national attention and resulting in him being placed on leave.

Lee Francis, a history teacher at Massey Hill Classical High School, tells the Fayetteville Observer he stepped on the flag two or three times while talking about the court case Texas v. Johnson, a ruling which says flag desecration is protected by the First Amendment and the Bill of Rights.

“It’s really disconcerting,” he said. “My question to everyone is who is entitled to freedom of speech? Does everyone have access to freedom of speech? It’s unfortunate that all this has happened.”

A student, Alex Dunn, sent a photo of Francis to WTVD Channel 11 showing Francis with his foot on the flag. Photos also were posted online by other students, reports say.

WTVD reports the photos upset the parents of several students, who want Francis fired. Some parents say they plan to remove their children from Francis’ class.

Fort Bragg is located in Fayettville, and many of the students have parents serving with the military, the Observer reports.

“Freedom of speech is one of the bedrock foundations guaranteed in our Constitution,” said Francis De Luca, a retired Marine colonel and the president of the conservative think tank Civitas Institute of Raleigh. “This teacher, in his attempt to teach about freedom, dishonored those soldiers’ commitment and sacrifice by cutting, burning and stomping on the flag that represents the country they swore an oath to defend.”

The American Civil Liberties Union in North Carolina said Francis’ lesson “is worth teaching.”

“One of the reasons our country is great is that the Constitution gives people the right to free speech and expression, no matter how much others may disagree or be uncomfortable with the message,” Mike Meno, a spokesman for the organization, tells the Observer.

The school district is investigating the incident.

I really love irony of it. An anti-gun protester arrested for carrying a gun. Just like a BLM leader who was against police patrols in until he was robbed. I swear, I could not write a story better then this.