Mocking CV Minders/What is the Karen Button

• Kevin James’ short film mocks coronavirus minders

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kevin James’ short film mocks coronavirus minders

John SextonPosted at 3:01 pm on May 12, 2020

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Actor Kevin James has released a short film mocking some of the extremes of the lock down lifestyle. The official title is “Out of Touch” and the subheading on YouTube reads, “Run for your life.” Here’s the short, which is about 2 minutes long:

See Also: Los Angeles headed to lockdown … forever?

Recommended

It seems like it was intended as a response to the “Karen” phenomenon that is being mocked online, i.e. the petty tyrants who seem to get a real kick out of demanding everyone else follow the new rules (or else). Others are mining this same territory for comedy:

I was contacted by a friend yesterday who pointed out that what we’re seeing with the “Karen” phenomenon is something I’ve written about before: Altruistic punishment. The idea, very simply, is that we’re all wired to take some pleasure from punishing people who are free-riders. This is something the probably evolved as part of out social make-up to prevent a few people from dragging down an entire community by doing nothing. And you can see how that would have made sense in a small group of hunter-gatherers where everyone needed to work to help the group survive.

The modern day version of altruistic punishment happens on Twitter and other social media sites. It’s best exemplified by the mobs of social justice warriors you see ganging up to cancel someone for a bad joke or a statement that’s not sufficiently woke. The secret of altruistic punishment is that there’s a small psychic reward for the people who engage in it. It feels good, which is how these outrage mobs form so easily.

What the coronavirus has done is, over a very brief period of time, create a bunch of new rules with life or death consequences. That has brought out the Karen in many people. In fact it’s not just happening online now, it’s happening in the real world. People are getting into shouting matches over other people refusing to wear masks. You’ve probably seen some of the clips.

To be clear, there are real consequences to this and I think everyone should wear a mask. I wear a mask when I go out. But the Karen phenomenon, shaming strangers online or in real life, goes beyond discussions of what we should do to taking pleasure in calling out those who aren’t meeting our expectations. It’s really a distinct thing and not a good one.

I don’t know about you guys but I get really angry with these coronavirus fingerwaving commercials in every commercial break.

I disagree. I don’t wear a mask unless I’m VIRTUALLY FORCED to do so–as I was today at my barber shop when I went for a haircut. No mask? No haircut. And I STILL had to pay for the privilege. Masks force you to breathe your own exhalations so if you DO HAVE the virus, you get to breathe it right back into your lungs which are superb breeding grounds for the thing.

1 Like

another good reason not to wear the thing.

I get dizzy and nauseous after wearing the thing for more than half an hour. They are required now in the theme parks, when they open, if you care to go. To me that would be like paying a lot of money to spend time in hell.

1 Like

i’m hearing from friends, neighbors and acquaintances that they are not happy with this mask thing. They are chafing at the bit so to speak. Even my leftist leaning (actually conservative and she doesn’t realize it) neighbor.

I don’t even have a mask. So, I guess I’ll be forced to purchase one or two if I plan to go out. I was forced to wear one back in late February at my doctor’s office. I took it off after a few minutes because I couldn’t breathe right. Stupid thing.

1 Like

Worse yet, the Corona Virus is WAY too small to be stopped by ANY cloth or paper mask. It’ll pass right through without even being slowed down. tt can’t be SEEN without an electron microscope, for God’s sake!

1 Like

I had words with the nurse at the doctor’s office. Apparently the girls at the desk told her I was being uncooperative about the cv hysteria. She reprimanded me in the exam room. I am not one to allow someone else to have the last word. LOL So that didn’t end well.

Apparently the doc got wind of it…he was on my side. He said to me. I am with you…the very people who demand ‘my body my choice’ insist that I wear a mask and gloves and stay in my home.

1 Like

@ClassicalTeacher, have you seen this?

The Ultimate Revolution

By Aldous Huxley

Aldous huxleyAldous Huxley, author of Brave New World, rated number one in the List Muse Top 100 Fiction books list, here discusses influence, controlling the public mind and government.

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution.” Aldous Huxley

1 Like

Smart doctor! I’d stick with him/her and ignore the mugwumps in the office.

Another brilliant author! Thanks for the info!

1 Like