Mormonism and Romney

I have read a few who have made disparaging remarks about Romney being a Mormon. This is not the discussion here. What I want to provide is one mans opinion of ONE Mormon, who I knew like a brother.

Robert called me from the Pentagon one day as he had got my name as a POC on IT. He had a question to ask and was being stationed at where I was. Rob was a senior military officer, highly respected, grad from top schools in the US and on the list of MD’s who can perform operations on the POTUS, he teaches, lectures in his field of medicine around the world, been Dean of a medical school.

Rob is a Mormon.

Rob has a wife, 7 kids all girls, Rob and I became great friends, not often a Field Grade like myself gets close to a higher ranking officer.

Rob and I traveled together on business and pleasure many times, he hunts fishes, loves guns and loves computers and with a wife and 7 girls having some male company was a great time. We got together about once a week at least and traveled to a lot of computer conferences together.

Rob was deadly honest, if he had a vice I never saw it in running with him for nearly 10 years. Ohhh we be traveling to a conference and I could every once in a while talk him into ordering a Coke or and ice tea, yea, that was stepping out, no form of booze had ever passed his lip nor any smoke, and or a rare occasion he would drink a coke with a meal…

He was not rigid at all, quite humorous, and we would head out to Boston from where we were stationed a almost 12 hr drive, leaving at 0400 hrs. He was never late, you bank on him for anything. He was my best friend.

We talk a little about Mormonism, wish now I had talked more, he never pushed it or anything of that nature. Those long trips we make of 12 driving hours were fun, a real learning experience about Docs and the medical world and will never forget them. To this day I wish we lived close enough to get together, he heads up a major hospital in another state a long ways from here.

He was a great man by any measure.

Was he a typical Mormon? Got no idea, only one I have known, but I did know him for a long time, and knew him very very well.

Am i saying this is Romney, no, dunno, have no idea.

Just saying…

I will add this: He has brothers, one is an Academy award winning Director, 3 others are renown Doctors, another started a business and is now running a nation wide corp, they are all successful, incredibly so.

His dad and mom, they are retired and live in a condo overlooking the Pacific Ocean…Dad was an elevator operator and hotel clerk his entire life, they all grew up in a 1 room house, all 6 of them. Rob bused tables at a eatery just down from where he went to college, working his way thru school and med school on his own as did the others. Rob went to Harvard, has 2 degrees from there. Each brother shares in the cost of mom and dad to live, drive a car, and have medical ins, a real retirement in Hawaii, because hotel clerks do not have a retirement package.[LEFT][/LEFT]

I don’t think anyone thinks that Romney’s a bad person for being Mormon. They just think the Mormon beliefs are a bit weird, and contemplate what that means if a presidential candidate possibly believes in some of the weirder aspects of Mormonism, including the racist aspects of it and some of the mystical aspects. More than one person on these forums has stated Mormonism is not Christianity, so that gives you some idea and most people’s thoughts on Mormonism.

The few posters who have been complaining about “Mormons” on this site are already on my ignore list. I only know of the complaints because of people quoting them.

Hmm, seems they are part of the Ron Paul crowd too. Go figure.

Knowing Rob the way I do, and we talked a LOT of politics, Klinton was elected in that time frame and I cannot see Rob as a RP type of guy at all. But as I said I knew him very well and knew many who worked under his Command and when spend 12 hrs in a car with someone and you do it often you get to know them well.

I am not saying good, bad about Mormonism, I only knew one person, FWIW…

Yea, my Ignore list is growing, some folks just are not worth your time…[LEFT][/LEFT]

Mormons have a very high standard of morality. Of course, like all religions, I’m sure that they don’t all live up to it. But from what I know, most of them are very decent people.

Mormons, in general, strike me as having a very strong work ethic. Most likely, those who are successful, (and many are), are so because they know how to keep their nose to the grind - and clean because they’re too busy to get into trouble. As far as Mitt Romney is concerned, it’s obvious that "character matters."
I never saw him as the “stiff person” others were describing. More like Oak’s friend, Rob, who takes life seriously when called for, but not so serious that he isn’t ready with a smile, or incapable of cracking (or taking) a joke.

With that said, there is one teensy part of Romney’s Mormonism that has me slightly trepiditious. I worry some that it will have him treating his opposition as President Bush did. As admirable as his character is, I believe President Bush’s religion got in his way to be as effective as he might have otherwise been.

Hmm. I’m tripping over my words here.
President Bush repeatedly believed that the ‘truth would out’, good overcome evil, and that his opposition’s word would be as good as his. Well, maybe next time. In short, he trusted people too much. It both pained and angered me to see him acting like such a Charlie Brown.
“Dude! Lucy is NOT going to hold the ball like she promised! Not this time, not next time, not EVER!”

Hopefully, Romney’s religion won’t allow/cause him to fall into the same trap.

And hopefully I’m the only one who has the slightest inkling that he might.

I have know many many Mormons. The best thing I can impart is that the Family is the central focus of their lives. They believe that they are required by God, to raise children that appreciate and understand the family unit and their obligations to their families. One night per week, no matter how old or young, the have “Family Home Evening”. All family members are there, and usually by choice. They eat, and have activities, share experiences of the week, and are scriptural edified. All within the family.
They are taught their responsibilities. Scriptural, political, educational, secular etc. They are taught selflessness, service, and charity. They take part in their Church Services, Church activities, and Spiritual Ordinances. Education, and a stable work environment are highly stressed. Exceptionalism, and success are also emphasized.
They are very willing to talk about their beliefs, but do not impose themselves on people. They believe it is each person’s responsibility to look for, and to find, God. They really believe in Free Will.
They live their religion, more so than most. The have the opinion that the Church doesn’t need you, you need the Church.
Romney didn’t impose Mormon beliefs on Mass. and I doubt he will on the US, either.

Tiny, that’s the best sum-up I’ve heard. Spot on.
However, what do you think of my - although very slight - trepidition that he’ll trust his opposition (in Congress, I mean), just a little too much?

I’d like to hear that I’m way off base on that one.

[quote=“2cent, post:8, topic:36834”]
Tiny, that’s the best sum-up I’ve heard. Spot on.
However, what do you think of my - although very slight - trepidition that he’ll trust his opposition (in Congress, I mean), just a little too much?

I’d like to hear that I’m way off base on that one.
[/quote]You are valid, on that point. I believe his experience in Mass. will cause him to give too much concession to the Dems. Federal Dems are a different breed.
That said, I have done a bunch of research on Romney. I do not support him, only because of his propensity to compromise. His past views, do not reflect mine. However, I also know that he is a man of minimal failures. Just about everything he touched, was a success. His character is better than most in Washington. Even if I do not vote for him, I recognize that he is better than the press he gets. I only hope he can prove me wrong, about selling us down to the Dems. If he does, I’ll gladly admit that I was wrong.

Here is the problem:

We currently have a POTUS that does NOT compromise at ALL and this includes not letting the Constitution stand in his way. At the same time too much compromise becomes leadership by committee vs leadership by dictator. That is why compromise is called an ‘art’. If you do compromise you get nothing done or you end up with crap, if you don’t you end up with a dictator and that is what we have now…[LEFT][/LEFT]

I guess I should say, ‘thanks’, for recognizing and validating (ick, I don’t like that word) my concerns, but it’d’ve been nice to be wrong.

One thing I like about ya, Tiny, is that you don’t mince words, and are happy to give credit where due - even when it might be painful.

You can add me to the list of those who weren’t real happy to hear how much he reached across the aisle. Not exacly a bragging point from where I sit. And, boy howdy, if you aren’t SO right that D.C. is another breed entirely.
Hopefully, he’ll catch on quickly, and prove us both wrong.

[quote=“2cent, post:11, topic:36834”]
I guess I should say, ‘thanks’, for recognizing and validating (ick, I don’t like that word) my concerns, but it’d’ve been nice to be wrong.

One thing I like about ya, Tiny, is that you don’t mince words, and are happy to give credit where due - even when it might be painful.

You can add me to the list of those who weren’t real happy to hear how much he reached across the aisle. Not exacly a bragging point from where I sit. And, boy howdy, if you aren’t SO right that D.C. is another breed entirely.
Hopefully, he’ll catch on quickly, and prove us both wrong.
[/quote]Truth is truth, no matter how it gets spun. Sorry I couldn’t absolve Romney, but he is what he is. I still think he’ll win in a landslide, and if so, I hope he can manage things better than the past few. I hope you are right, about us being wrong. Have a special day, 2cent.