Mother Sues Ohio Clinic for 'Failed' Abortion

Mother Sues Ohio Clinic for ‘Failed’ Abortion
by Dr. Susan Berry

2013/04/02

The Daily Mail reports that Ariel Knights, 22, is suing the Akron Women’s Medical Group after having undergone what she thought was an abortion in March of 2012. A week after the procedure, however, another doctor told her that she was still pregnant, and she went on to deliver a healthy six-pound baby girl in September.

Knights said she had decided to end her pregnancy when doctors informed her that carrying her baby to term would be dangerous because the baby was growing in a weak uterus caused by uterus didelphys, a genetic condition that results in a double uterus with two separate cervices. Though she reportedly agonized over the decision to abort the baby, she ultimately decided that, with a preschooler and fiancée to consider, she would schedule the procedure with the Akron group.

“It was a decision I made because my life was in danger,” Knights said. “I was put in jeopardy. And I have a son that I am supposed to be taking care of.”

Knights, who works as a dental lab technician, stated that she learned of her uterine condition while pregnant with her son, whom she was able to carry to near full term without complications because he was in the stronger of the two uteri. However, early exams of her second pregnancy suggested that the baby was in the weak uterus, a situation that her doctors said placed her life at risk.

I wonder if this female will have the courage and stupidity to have that, “Mommy tried to kill you,” conversation with her daughter! And isn’t it funny … the doctor (quacktor?!) said that she and the baby were threatened by the woman’s double-uterus … yet the baby survived both that and the attempted abortion … as did she. And if her concern really was her own health and the health of her baby, how is she damaged? They’re both fine. There’s much that is stupid and disgusting in this too real story!