Muhammad Ali has died at age 74

No link as yet.
TV stations have broken to news that Muhammad Ali had died.

link
Muhammad Ali, ‘The Greatest of All Time’, Dead at 74 - NBC News

A ‘poem’ by Cassius Clay

Clay comes out to meet Liston and Liston starts to retreat,

If Liston goes back an inch farther he’ll end up in a ringside seat.

Clay swings with his left, Clay swings with his right,

Look at young Cassius carry the fight

Liston keeps backing, but there’s not enough room,

It’s a matter of time till Clay lowers the boom.

Now Clay lands with a right, what a beautiful swing,

And the punch raises the Bear clean out of the ring.

Liston is still rising and the ref wears a frown,

For he can’t start counting till Sonny goes down.

Now Liston is disappearing from view, the crowd is going frantic,

But radar stations have picked him up, somewhere over the Atlantic.

Who would have thought when they came to the fight?

That they’d witness the launching of a human satellite.

Yes the crowd did not dream, when they put up the money,

That they would see a total eclipse of the Sonny.

Ali was perhaps the best pure boxer ever to wear the heavyweight crown. However, his penchant for deriding and mocking his opponents before, during and after the bout significantly detracted from his greatness as a fighter - at least for me.

One thing is certain, he meant a great deal to boxing at a time when the sport was on the ropes. It’s a shame Parkinson’s robbed him of so much of his life over the last 25 years.

That gif reminds me of Apollo Creed in a scene in Rocky II.

Sorry he’s dead. We were born one hour (and 100 miles or so) apart in January of 1942. However, he was a draft-dodger and an ego-maniac. I never thought too much of his boxing skills either. Dodging punches didn’t do him all that much good in the end as most physicians believe being continually pounded in the head was responsible for most of his infirmities so he obviously didn’t dodge them ALL. I realize that black and brown people all over the world idolized him–in part because he thumbed his nose at the American government yet lived relatively high on the hog under America’s protection for his whole life. Still, I regret his death.

I grew up in the 60’s and I remember seeing Mohammad Ali on TV and on the radio. All I really remember him was as a blowhard. He was constantly screaming about “I’m the best!” and on and on that I never gave him much thought. Since I am a woman and find boxing a prehistoric play date for boys, (I guess only men enjoy watching other men beat each other to a bloody pulp), I never came to any understand of his “greatness”. I believe, like you, that his Parkinson’s disease was caused by being hit in the head too many times.

It’s been my lifelong experience that those people who constantly crow about how “great,” “smart,” or wonderful they are–never seem to be so in reality. That’s one reason why I was so skeptical about Trump–and remain so.

I was a boxing fan and there is no doubt Cassius Clay was a major talent in the art of hitting people and self promotion. As a person, I did not like him and quickly grew weary of his shenanigans. One thing I will say about him, usually those in the boxing game were niched and controlled by the white collar boxing heads. He refused to be bought and refused to knuckle under to external powers such as the federal government and the media. He did pay a hefty price but in the end vindicated himself.
But way too many people placed him on a pedestal and that is just plain stupid. So now he is gone------ and what did he leave behind to advance society? to even show a legacy? nothing but the ability to hit people and get hit.

I always had a strong aversion against him. From the political view I want so say, it’s no achievement to be against the system and enact the rebel.
With his conversion to islam he underlined his intention to support the stereotyp: Bad-Whit-Christian-America vs. Oppressed-Brave-Minority…

He refused to be bought and refused to knuckle under to external powers?
-> He made his money – that’s not a big deal.

My opinion.

How Ali found God and became a Republican

Muhammad Ali was changing in ways that few people saw or chose to see. He traces his hour of enlightenment to “around 1983.” It was only then that he became a “true believer.” Always more honest than the mythmakers around him, Ali sheds needed light here on his own reality. Before this moment, he confesses to biographer Tom Hauser, “I thought I was a true believer, but I wasn’t. I fit my religion to do what I wanted. I did things that were wrong, and chased women all the time.”

Ali supported both Reagan and later the senior George Bush, as well as a number of other Republican candidates, most notably Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch. Reagan Attorney General Edwin Meese, a liberal bete noire, went so far as to call Ali a “great patriot.”

What ‘god’ did he find? and Philipp; Ali, before all the money, refused to be cowed by the feds and by the boxing powers. As soon as he became a noted personality they immediately tried to draft him into the army, (Did that to Elvis, and Elvis decided not to buck the system) That’s what the Fed did back in the day.

Draft-dodgers are people who run away-- he didn’t. He faced the music for his objection, and almost lost. A last minute change in the Supreme court is what saved him.

The only way he’s a draft dodger, is if you say the same of every conscientious objector.

Anybody up for page 2?

Benn flipping channels hoping to find something not lauding the draft dodger, the coward who ran when his country called.

Here is what he ran from…Assignment in Special Services, which is reserved for and offered to famous sports and movie stars, there he would continue his career, put on demonstrations for soldiers across the world, become a national hero, be the face of military boxing and have a great time for two years.

He was a coward! In 1967 there was a black Sgt stationed at Ft Sill, Ok. He taught Fire Direction Control, FDC, at the US Army, Artillery School. He was also an amateur boxer and a very good one to say the least. He came from a very poor family and in fact did own a pair of shoes that would fit him until he came into the Army, his size 17 shoe was not available at Thom McAnn.

He challenged Clay to a fight and said if Clay won, he could keep the money but if he won then Clay would come into the Army. And the Sgt wanted any money due to him to be donated to the Army Emergency Relief Fund.

I was a student in his FDC class and can assure you he was a beloved instructor. And he often spoke of his efforts to engage Clay in a fight and showed us the correspondence between Clay and his agents and himself. Sadly this was never picked up by the media but it was well known in the Army.

There was not a soul that did not believe the Sgt would not win. He was a seasoned Army boxer, in incredible condition and most of all he believed he could and would beat him.

That Sgt will will always be a hero in my eyes and I suspect a lot of other young soldiers.

I guess that is what happens when you spend 20+ years getting hit on the head and neck with powerful punches.

[quote=“silliessis, post:10, topic:48815”]

[/quote]If Ali’s “moment of enlightenment” came in 1983–10 YEARS after the draft was ended–just how “enlightened” did he become? He refused the draft because he didn’t want to chance having to go into combat…period.

This is not true!

The Army Special Services was created in 1940 for the purpose of using famous people in the Army, of note is all the other services also have a Special Services branch. The list is long from Joe Louis to Clint Eastwoof. Not all choose to go into SS such as Elvis Presley. But that is THEIR choice! Those who do not go into SS, such as Elvis still spend a great deal of time in SS assignments.

Finally the MYTH of combat…Combat support ratio. While it varies it generally hovers around 20-25 to 1. Meaning for every combat soldier beyond the wire there are about 20+ that see to it he has beans and bullets.

Combat soldiers are very rare…

…WHICH only shows that you know very little about Vietnam and what went on there.

When I was little there was always…‘and the Wednesday nite fights are ON THE AIR.’ Remember that? i’m dating myself no doubt. I was aware of boxing and I watched it with my daddy. it was boring mostly…but then Cassius Clay came along and wow. I really got interested. It was his personality and I have to admit it…there was skill there or something I don’t know what to call it.

And he WAS a big mouth…but I didn’t mind it, I found it rather droll…maybe because I thought it was part of his goal…and then the fights with Kosell. Hilarious.

Here’s what I find ironic. ‘I am the greatest!’ The mouth of the south. And in his later years…he couldn’t speak. I don’t know…doesn’t there seem to be some kind of ‘karma’ if you prefer to use that term rather than the phrase God’s plan.

I’ll date myself with the Friday night fights on radio sponsored by Gillette, and Dad would have it on. this was near the end of the 40’s to mid fifties.

super…youre way older than me. LOLOLOL