Muslim Student Files Complaint Against Teacher … for Talking About Ham

Muslim Student Files Complaint Against Teacher … for Talking About Ham
December 21, 2010 - by Aaron Hanscom
Pajamas Media

Earlier this year, La Meca, a popular nightclub in southern Spain, decided to change its name after Spain’s intelligence agency notified the owners of threats from Islamic extremists. … “Muslims pray towards Mecca … Calling a place for dancing and drinking by that name shows disregard to the feelings of Muslims.”

It’s hard to keep track these days of what ¨shows disregard to the feelings of Muslims.” Consider the case of the student at the Menéndez Tolosa school in Cadiz who recently asked his geography teacher to stop discussing ham in class because it was disrespectful to him as a Muslim.

Another argument against “moderate” Muslims being a meaningful demographic group.

Why was a geography teacher discussing ham in class?

Pork is a staple meat in many areas of the world. When one studies geography, they also study the ways in which people live.

From the article, immediately following the last sentence in the excerpt I quoted in the OP:

It should be noted that the teacher, José Reyes Fernández, was not mocking the Koran’s prohibition against eating ham. What was so offensive to the student was Fernández’s use of the Granada town of Trevélez as an example of a cold mountain climate conducive to the curings of hams.

Come now, Suds, your Freshman year, when you probably were required to study World Geography wasn’t that long ago. Such classes generally include learning about climates, natural resources and the agricultural and industrial products of various areas and how they inter-relate.

Believe it or not, I can remember back to grade school geography for that sort of thing. Never had Geography in high school.

In case you haven’t noticed, Suds is quite fond of trying to ‘play dumb’. It might work a little better if, in the next sentence, she wasn’t trying to prove how smart she is.

Believe it or not, I can remember back to grade school geography for that sort of thing. Never had Geography in high school.

The required Social Studies progression in CA when I was in school (1959-1972), IIRC, was:

4th Grade - California History/Geography
5th Grade - US History
6th Grade - Optional, we did South American History/Geography
7th Grade - World History/Geography
8th Grade - US History & Constitution
9th Grade - World Geography
10th Grade - World History, elective (had been required)
11th Grade - US History
12th Grade - Economics (one semester), US Government (one semester)

Some one should warn this twit (back to the OP article) about certain literature: Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham and Go Dog Go; A. A. Milne, the Winnie the Pooh stories; Charlotte’s Web; Babe; Animal Farm.

We don’t take social studies freshman year. I would’ve taken World History (not geography) sophomore year (last year), but my immune system collapsed and I was in quarantine most of the year. So I took it online, where there were no discussions about anything.

I should add that geography isn’t even offered in my district. We did some South American geography in 8th grade - just learning where the countries are - and then in fifth grade we learned a song to remember the names of all 50 states. That’s it.

I don’t play dumb. I just offer people a chance to explain themselves in case I misunderstood something they said. And I really didn’t know, in this case.

This may have happened in Spain but there comes a time and it is already here where the world populace MUST MAN UP and tell the Muslim people to deal with their own or the WORLD will do it for them. The Muslim Must take responsibility for their own actions and bring the radical faction under it’s own Sharia law. Europe has to take the lead in that hemisphere, as America needs to take the lead in this hemisphere. ISLAM has to be controlled and the Muslim world needs to be brought to the table for judgment.

Starting with 3rd grade (I think) we had both geography & history every year through 8th grade. No geography after that. In high school, freshman year, 1 semester “civics” - I guess you’d call it government - and the other PA History. Sophomore year, I think it was US History, Junior, World History, and Senior, Problems of Democracy.

I never said in the way that you did but, I do agree. I have said something to this effect before. Even though most people understand the fear factor within Islam wrt speaking out against radical Islam, they are eventually going to have to get over that or be lumped in with them by default. Inaction will be taken as agreement to some level.

That’s pitiful. On the school’s place, I mean. You should’ve had geography since you were in grade school. Certainly by 5th grade world maps should’ve been introduced, and at least have been studying the western hemisphere, its different countries, their prominent means of wealth, and why.
No wonder our country is going to hell in a hand-basket…literally.
To Suds: - and anybody else around her age:
What and where is “the bread basket of the world?”

Kansas?

I was going to say that someone should contact FIRE, but it’s not in the US. so…yeah…

That is sort of a trick question considering what has occurred over the last few years isn’t it?

I was at a restraunt in CA. The waitress asked me where I was from. I said “Indiana”. She said, “Where is that country?” I explain to her that it was state within this country only to receive a blank look. I then added, “Home of the Indianapolis 500 car race.” Still a blank look. I then asked, “Have you ever heard of the state of Indiana?” She responded, “I heard one of my professors mention as a place where he was from but, I never new where that country was at.” I told her that my son knew all 50 US states and their capitols and could locate them out on a map since he was in the 1st grade. It’s ironic that people in CA act like we are a bunch of stupid, uneducated hicks."

This was sad commentary on the state of CA “education”. This young woman was a high school grad that had been accepted into college and my grade school son, educated in the hick midwest, is smarter than she is. It also bolsters the perception of midwesterners that the coasts are so self-absorbed and arrogant that they are incapable of knowing anything else but, their little corners of the world.

Good grief, that woman needs to be on Jaywalking. Interesting that Jay Leno recorded his Jaywalking footage in the LA area…

Knowing somewhat of where ConLib’s business takes him in CA, that probably was in the SF Bay Area or Sacramento area. That NV doesn’t require World Geography somewhere in Jr. High or High School astounds me, but the young lady ConLib met is a different problem. Either she wasn’t taught what the state requires to be taught or her teacher/school did what is sometimes called “social promotion”. Either way, she, her parents and the taxpayers of CA were defrauded.

############

The Muslim Must take responsibility for their own actions and bring the radical faction under it’s own Sharia law. Europe has to take the lead in that hemisphere, as America needs to take the lead in this hemisphere. ISLAM has to be controlled and the Muslim world needs to be brought to the table for judgment.

What I fear may happen is that pols will do nothing - it’s what they do best! And “Moderate Muslims” will do little or nothing - whether for fear, religious bigotry or lazy opportunism. The result will either be subjugation to a minority of a minority or vigilante-like action will be taken common citizens. I hate the latter possibility, but if government authorities won’t protect their citizens, what is left but self-defense?