My chicken enchiladas recipe with rice and beans

This dish has 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients:

One package of fajita sized flour tortillas, 10 count

One 28 oz. can of (red or green) enchilada sauce

One 10 3/4 oz. can of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup

One 7 oz. can of chopped chiles

Four cooked chicken breasts or one rotisserie chicken from the deli or one package of pre-chopped chicken strips uncooked

One 8 oz. package of Kraft shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese

One yellow or red onion chopped

Eight to ten black olives chopped or sliced

One package of Mahatma Authenic Spanish Seasonings and Long Grain Rice

One cup and two-thirds of a cup of water

One tbsp. of ketchup

One tbsp. of butter

One 16 oz. can of refried beans

Cooking spray

Preparation and cooking instructions for enchiladas:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray cooking spray onto 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan (can use either glass or metal) covering the bottom and sides of the pan

Pour enchilada sauce and cream of chicken soup into bowl and mix them together

Dip one tortilla at a time into the bowl and soak the tortilla into the sauce

Set the tortilla onto a plate and place following ingredients along the middle of the tortilla from one end to the other: chicken, chiles, cheese, onions, and olives.

Wrap the tortilla and place it into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan

Repeat until all enchiladas are in the pan

Pour the rest of the sauce from the bowl on top of the enchiladas

Sprinkle cheese, olives, and onions on top of the enchiladas but leave some cheese left for the refried beans

Cover pan with aluminum foil

Place pan into oven and wait 45 minutes or until cheese and sauce are bubbling

Preparation and cooking for rice:

Wait until after the enchiladas are put into the oven

Pour 1 and 2/3 cup of water, 1 tbsp. of ketchup, and 1 tbsp. of butter into a medium sized pot and turn on the stove to high heat and cover the pot with a lid

When the water is boiling, turn the stove down to low heat and pour in rice and cover the pot with a lid

Every 5 minutes, stir the rice so that it doesn’t stick to pot

The rice will be cooked in 15 minutes

Preparation and cooking for the beans:

After the rice is complete, put a can of refried beans into a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle the rest of the cheese into the beans and mix them together

Cover the bowl with a lid and put the bowl in the microwave

Set the microwave to 100% power and cook it for 3 minutes

Bowl will be hot, so wait at least a minute to take the bowl out of the microwave or use a mitt

I love having Dr. Pepper or sweet tea with this dish.

My wife would love that recipe. I make mine with the traditional Corn Tortillas. I use Monterrey Jack and Cheddar Cheeses. I also make my own sauce, since we live a ways from town, and it’s easier to me than running into town, for sauce, but I have eaten some really descent canned sauces, too.
If you want a variation, try using some Nopales or Nopalitos. They are diced flat cactus “paddles”, form the nopal cactus. You can find jars of them in brine,in the Mexican food section. Some varieties are sweet, while others are tart.
Also, I like to add a bit of Cumin, sparingly, to the rice. Adds flavor, deluxe.
Sounds delicious, kiddo. I am going to make it for my wife, soon. I will enjoy it,too. Thanx.

Cook off cook off