My county in the national news-Church graduations controversy

Atlanta School Board Votes Not to Move Graduation From Local Church - FoxNews.com

The Americans United for Seperation of Church and State are invading my county. They received a complaint from a high school student about these graduations. For many many years my county has held all of their high school graduations in this church, for the sum of 2,000 dollars, an amazing bargain. Get this-there is no limit on family members the church is so big, it holds thousands. High school students can have all of their family and friends see this special moment in their life, but will they be able to in the future? I have been disappointed over the years because I have not been able to go to graduations of people because where they live they have them in the gym or football field and have a limit. I am proud of where I live, and I don’t like some northern group telling us what we can and can not do. The first ammendment does not apply in my opinion, as there are no religous services held during the graduations. The only other viable indoor option costs 45,000 bucks, and there would be a family member limit-bad idea.

Common sense says the student who wrote this letter just wants to stir something up. But I don’t need common sense to know this, because I happen to know the family of the student. I will tell you they are extremely snobbish and have to tell everyone what to do. A few years back the father(and his son), joined a Boy Scout troop in which I happen to be a leader. We had a prayer and devotional during the meetings, but these people came in and made sure that was shut down. Obviously because of this they were unpopular and soon left the troop. Later I found out about the mother, a code enforcement officer. She actually spammed the Troop and its members with spam about her project-Playful City USA, an expensive project aimed at spending thousands of dollars on playgrounds. The project was implemented and it was a failure, thousands was spent and nobody goes to those playgrounds. Everybody knew it was a bad idea but she just wouldn’t give up. I guess it was inevitable one of their kids would do something to make everybody mad. One of the most selfish families I have encountered, and I am outraged at this entire incedent.

Now my country school board has voted to keep the graduations, the lawsuit with the athiest group is next I guess. I pray that common sense prevails. Ask questions if you want, I probably left some things out. Thanks for reading.

We never had graduations in a church, but it was an understood thing that the baccalaureate would be in a church. Of course, I graduated back in the dark ages, even before they put “under God” into the pledge to the flag - 1954. It was the summer after my graduation that happened.

The thing is, that years ago, no one would have thought of making such a complaint. But now, anyone knows that there will always be lawyers and politicians to take up the cause of anyone against Christianity.

My high school baccalaureate was held at a church and the teacher held an organized prayer. Nobody sued him over it.

Yes its sad how the nation has become, even sadder that the rest of the world has it worse.
The student that reported it has basicially killed her social life with this, I guess she doesn’t care.

I don’t think they can sue as its not official. The thing is there is no organized prayer at these graduations.

Everybody knew it was a bad idea but she just wouldn’t give up.

This describes a true liberal…they want to force THEIR ideas no matter how ridiculous.

This may be a dumb question, but even if there was a such thing as ‘separation of church and state’, what in the heck does graduation have to do with government? :confused:
As far as the Boy Scouts goes, she had no right to tell you that you couldn’t pray. The Boy Scouts is a private, Christian organization that no one is forced to join.

Actually, BSA is not specifically Christian. Local troops, OTOH, may be. One of the non-Merit Badge awards a scout can earn is the “God and Country” award. There are versions of the award for Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and other religious groups.

Unfortunately, this case isn’t unique: a WI case; a CN case. And as those two articles demonstrate, the courts have not ruled consistently (the judge in the CN case, IMO, ruled as she wanted and grasped for pretextual straws as an after-thought.

My high school held its graduations from before I can remember in the high school’s football stadium. “Plan B” in case of possible rain was to use the gymnasium. with graduating classes on the order of 500 (late 60s and early 70s), the gymnasium was barely sufficient for the platform & speakers, the graduating class (on the floor) and the parents (in the bleachers). Siblings? Family & friends? Not enough room! Guess how I know there wasn’t room for family and friends. So, yeah, had the local Baptist or Catholic church or Jewish synagogue been available and had more room, I would have been glad to have family and friends at my graduation! I hope that GA community helps that family lacking in common (?) decency understand how their selfishness affects their standing and welcome in the community.

This may be a dumb question, but even if there was a such thing as ‘separation of church and state’, what in the heck does graduation have to do with government?

It’s a government-run school that is putting on and (in people terms, if not facility) hosting the graduation.

…by which time all concerned OUGHT to know that the Constitution doesn’t read, “…freedom FROM religion.” Kills me that they are showing their utter ignorance at, of all places, a graduation ceremony.

Re: The Boy Scouts…
Okay, I’ll go along with not specifically Christian, but they defiinately aren’t pagan, as their very oath reads:

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Now, if someone has a problem with that group opening their meeting with a prayer, then I guess the Boy Scouts isn’t for them, and they are more than welcome to start their own little club.
I don’t know what’s worse; people being so high on themselves that they think everyone was put on this earth to kiss their royal behinds, or the people who do.
I could’ve sworn being sick of royalty is the very reason this county was created. And now we kiss up to people whose only claim to royalty is being a ‘royal pain in the ass’? How stupid is that? Especially when all they really are are attention hounds.
Quit feeding them!

Who said they were pagan? :confused:

Okay, I’ll go along with not specifically Christian, but they defiinately aren’t pagan, as their very oath reads:

The oath you quoted mentions “God”, but leaves to the troop and individual Scouts to decide what “God” is for their context.

Now, if someone has a problem with that group opening their meeting with a prayer, then I guess the Boy Scouts isn’t for them, and they are more than welcome to start their own little club.

The folks who have been trying (15 years? 20 years?) to force BSA to change that aspect of the oath or BSA’s standards for leaders aren’t interested in the boys. They want to impose their will on (or destroy) an organization they dislike.

I suggest you ask 2cent what she means by “Pagan”. AFAIK, modern pagans could fit under BSA’s meaning. How many would want to or do, I don’t know. It’s been 8 years since my son earned Eagle rank, so I’ve been out of that context for a while.

Oh dear. I should have said “atheists”. “Pagan” was the wrong word.

[quote=“PeteS_in_CA, post:14, topic:28928”]
The oath you quoted mentions “God”, but leaves to the troop and individual Scouts to decide what “God” is for their context.

The folks who have been trying (15 years? 20 years?) to force BSA to change that aspect of the oath or BSA’s standards for leaders aren’t interested in the boys.
[/quote] What concerns me is that some are a little TOO interested in the boys.

They want to impose their will on (or destroy) an organization they dislike.
Exactly. Sadly, we had a group around here who wanted to stop the scouts from camping at a public park. Happily, they were told what they could do with that notion.
All of which makes no sense, but does prove your point.

I kind of had the impression that the BSA tended toward Judeo-Christian ideology (theoretically, that is). I don’t know if it was national or not. I recall something about denial of something or other to BSA (local or otherwise, I don’t know) because they refused to accept homosexuals.

That occurred to me as well. =/ But I think the main reason they do that is because of the risk of gay scoutmasters molesting their charges. As far as I know, they only deny entry to homosexual men, not homosexual boys. I think.

Though if they do, I’m definitely not buying a Christmas tree from them this year. :bored:

I think it was about homosexual boys, but I don’t remember any of the details; I could be misremembering.