My first Deck using dek-blocks

This is about as basic as it gets when it comes to decks. I built this using the dek-blocks as a base.

Materials:

32 2x6x12
**18 **Deck-blocks
5 pounds of galvanized 2 1/2 inch screws

1.The first thing I did was clear the sod and level the ground as best I could. This was the hardest part, as all I had was a pick axe to remove the sod.

2.I laid out the dek-blocks in rows of three and using a 2x6x12 to level against. The spacing of the blocks was 28 3/4 inches from the middle of one 2x6x12 to the other.

1. Once it was level I added the 2, 2x6x12’s to the sides.
  1. I then proceeded to put the surface boards, using the head of the screw as a guide to the width between the surface boards.

And that was about it. All I got to do now is hide those side blocks.

The only regret I have is not spacing the boards properly enough, when I got to the end I had to put a 2x4x12 instead of the 2x6x12 it required. If you use standard board measurements like 8ft. 10ft. 12ft or 16ft. you won’t even have to saw, I used all 12ft. boards.

Lookin good :wave:

Nice deck RO! Great work. Love seeing the befores and afters.

Way to go TO! Looks great bro. All that’s missin’ is the beer 'n BBQ and I’ll bet that’s already on the agenda?! :wink:

‘Tis kinda painful nowadays buyin’ those treated materials, eh? Man they’ve skyrocketed since they went to the different treatment method; especially when coupled with the huge jump in the overall materials costs over the past couple of years.

Looks real good! I bet y’all really enjoy it out there.

[QUOTE=A_Texian]Way to go TO! Looks great bro. All that’s missin’ is the beer 'n BBQ and I’ll bet that’s already on the agenda?! :wink:

‘Tis kinda painful nowadays buyin’ those treated materials, eh? Man they’ve skyrocketed since they went to the different treatment method; especially when coupled with the huge jump in the overall materials costs over the past couple of years.[/QUOTE]

yeah the cost of lumber is outragous. That simple little deck cost approximately $500.

Dek-blocks are great. I used lots of them on my deck. I’ll have to post pictures of it sometime.

Good work!

I don’t know if it was a “nationwide thing” or not, but I’m guessin’ it was since the Deckblox folks have a patent on 'em. There was a problem a few years back when nobody could get deckblox for a several month stretch, cause of some kinda idiotic patent infringement lawsuit. It SUCKED for us carpenters! lol

I didn’t know just how much I took 'em for granted until I couldn’t buy 'em for awhile! :cry:

I was even drummin’ on the idea of making my own molds for something similar to 'em, but they came back onto the market before I did it. I was about to go through withdrawals.

:biggrin:

How do you keep dec-block from sinking in the ground at some places? Is the weight so evenly distributed that won’t happen? What if there is a LOT of water and it sits in that area for a significant amount of time? No prep work for where you place the dec-block??

Now that you have that one done…I have a nice spot in my front yard…:biggrin:

Well, this is a four year old thread. In that time it didn’t sink, I have since removed it though because rats, snakes, and other critters were making it their home.

I notice on some of the DYI channels there are these deck boards that do not need mantainence and will last longer. As for myself later this year I plan to remove a handicap ramp that is starting to fall apart for a friend of mine.

For a minute, I thought you were saying that rats, snakes, etc., were making their home in this thread . . .

Decking Landing Page | Trex

^^^for those with LOTS of money. This material is about 3x the cost of pressure treated lumber.