My former employer in the news!

Thomas Monaghan, former owner of Domino’s Pizza, was my employer during my years in Ann Arbor, MI. I can tell you that he will not back down. He is a former Marine and has very high expectations from all of his employees. All of the men who work in the Corporate Offices must wear dark blue or black suits and are not allowed to wear their hair long. Women are expected to dress in business suits or other modestly appropriate dresses.

» Domino’s Pizza founder fighting for religious liberty » News – GOPUSA

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:1, topic:38677”]
He is a former Marine
[/quote]Semper Fi, Mr. Monaghan. Atta’ boy!!!

I know most of the states that had suits against Obamacare are folding, but maybe success will come to individual business owners on this. Perhaps this is a trend . . . I hope so.

Always good to hear about someone fighting the madness.

Why should jobs have to provide health care at all?

Be careful. Questions like that will have a dangerous effect on ones Left leaning status.

Employers have provided “benefits” for decades because it is extremely expensive to purchase health insurance on one’s own. Employers are able to get reduced rates on “group” insurance rates. It used to be that the employer offered these benefits as a salary incentive because at one time it was not an employers market, but an employees’ market. It has been so many years since this has been part of a salary benefits package that potential employees expect that to be part of a package. If employees have to purchase their own health insurance, it would cut deeply into their salaries. However, that may be changing now with obamacare becoming a reality. There are many employers who are now considering not offering health insurance and benefits because to provide such under obamacare would be cost oppressive. For other employers, such as Church-run organizations, it may be necessary in order to not compromise religious beliefs. I can’t say that I blame them. Although it may seem like a small thing to BO and people like him, providing artificial birth control (and what next?) is a moral evil for most Christian organizations. The Catholic Church and hence those organizations who run under her umbrella could not, in good conscience, provide those kinds of health “benefits”. BO is forcing religious organizations to make very difficult choices which will either close the institution or cause its employees to have to provide their own health insurance.

[quote=“ClassicalTeacher, post:6, topic:38677”]
Employers have provided “benefits” for decades because it is extremely expensive to purchase health insurance on one’s own. Employers are able to get reduced rates on “group” insurance rates. It used to be that the employer offered these benefits as a salary incentive because at one time it was not an employers market, but an employees’ market. It has been so many years since this has been part of a salary benefits package that potential employees expect that to be part of a package. If employees have to purchase their own health insurance, it would cut deeply into their salaries. However, that may be changing now with obamacare becoming a reality. There are many employers who are now considering not offering health insurance and benefits because to provide such under obamacare would be cost oppressive. For other employers, such as Church-run organizations, it may be necessary in order to not compromise religious beliefs. I can’t say that I blame them. Although it may seem like a small thing to BO and people like him, providing artificial birth control (and what next?) is a moral evil for most Christian organizations. The Catholic Church and hence those organizations who run under her umbrella could not, in good conscience, provide those kinds of health “benefits”. BO is forcing religious organizations to make very difficult choices which will either close the institution or cause its employees to have to provide their own health insurance.
[/quote]Excellent explanation.

Just echoing and expanding a little. Employers once offered Health Insurance as part of the compensation package (they didn’t HAVE to then) to be competitive in the employee market . . . and as CT said, that was when employers were in a competitive market for employees. That’s not so true anymore, since employers are flooded with applicants now (unemployment being what it is) and pretty much have their pick of the litter WITHOUT offering enticements. Applicants now are just happy to have received an offer from ONE company and are no longer in the driver’s seat relative to “picking” which offer they’ll take.

Now along comes Obamacare, and companies are COMPELLED to offer health insurance, whether or not it’s a good business decision and whether or not abortion benefits fit their morals.