My New Toy .. (power washer)

After researching just about every brand and size … I picked up this baby yesterday!

I only need one for my vinyl siding and some cleaning … deck, sidewalk etc. etc.

Some good pics, stats and video at link.

How’d I do? :wave::banana:

Generac Power Systems | Pressure Washers | Residential Grade | Generac Power Systems

I’m no judge, but I wish I had one (for my vinyl siding). I get a lot of algae (I think) on it. I’ve taken a long handled brush and scrubbed some of it, but I can go up only so high (and this is a two-story house), and it comes back rather quickly. I need a power washer with algacide (sp?) to retard the growth of the stuff.

Susanna

I have vinyl siding (off white) and one side is almost always in the shade.

Use to get the algae, mold etc.

Don’t scrub girl!:banana:

Get this stuff!

Wet & Forget | The Ultimate Mold & Mildew Remover & Shower Cleaner.

SP

There is an Ace Hardware about 20 miles from us that has it, and another local store carries it. That Ace hardware used to be a family-owned store - for three generations, but Paul’s son didn’t want to continue with it, so when he retired, he sold it to Ace. I went to high school with Paul’s wife, and we are celebrating our 60th high school reunion in September. Paul graduated two years ahead of us.

I don’t know that I would trust the quality of the installation of our vinyl siding to stand up to a power washer…

I exchanged a couple of pm’s with Sillipuddi, and he said that a tank sprayer would work - like that blue one that’s been sitting in the closet in the hallway as long as we’ve been here. We could get most of the problem area with that, and more of it from the upstairs windows. Above that, there doesn’t seem to be any real problem, and I don’t think I want to bother with the roof. At least, not the upper roof!

I would. That is why you get different jets. A wider fan jet will take the pressure down at impact. Also, most Pressure washers are adjustable. You can dial it down, as you should.
The other option, which I employ, is a pressure nozzle for your hose. I use TSP(tri sodium phosphate) and a soft brush on a handle. Wet the wall, scrub with brush and detergent, and rinse. Simple. Doesn’t take much to knock the crud off vinyl. If you are fighting algae, a weak bleach solution works well.

Normal weather has dislodged pieces of the siding and trim in a few places. It was a cheap system installed by an outfit that I wouldn’t trust (after seeing the “quality” of their work) to build a bird house. If you dial down the pressure, you’d need to get the nozzle up a lot higher than is practical on our house (first story in the main part of the house has an 8’ 9" ceiling).

[quote=“Fantasy_Chaser, post:8, topic:43917”]
Normal weather has dislodged pieces of the siding and trim in a few places. It was a cheap system installed by an outfit that I wouldn’t trust (after seeing the “quality” of their work) to build a bird house. If you dial down the pressure, you’d need to get the nozzle up a lot higher than is practical on our house (first story in the main part of the house has an 8’ 9" ceiling).
[/quote]I’ve installed cheap siding, and if you nail it down tight, the sun will buckle it off the wall. Too loose, the nails pop out.
If you are using pressure to reach higher, you should just opt for a high pressure nozzle for your garden hose. More distance and volume, under less pressure. A telescoping extension pole will help reach to brush it off, and the spray will rinse it fine. I never try to use water alone. Those systems with the “suds” feature might work, but I’d rather use a brush, and detergent, than to waste time trying to “power it off”. Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck. Be safe.

I’d never buy a house with vinyl siding in the first place and I’d never put it ON a house that I own. I’ve turned down houses with vinyl siding when house-hunting in the past. But that’s just my preference. I think it looks cheap–like those “chimneys” they’re putting on houses these days that are made of vinyl siding pieces slapped together. I understand it ISN’T “cheap,” but it looks that way.

The problem isn’t the siding, it’s good quality. It’s the installation thereof. Part of the issue was that they were supposed to replace rotting wood, and they didn’t.

Hmmm, not even sure I’d be allowed to use that here.

HEY!

Nothing ‘cheap’ looking about my home!

And the siding is 15 years old and still looks brand new!:banana:

Psst … Threw in the 20x15 deck just for bragging rights!
I power washed it with a crappy electric washer and then had to hand stain the whole thing!

Admittedly, a nice-looking home, but still not as nice-LOOKING as a fully brick or stone house. Secondarily, I can’t live in a 2-story house. My knees and stairs don’t jibe.

You’ve got a gorgeous house, Sillipuddi, and a lovely setting. My house is a tacky old house, probably 150 years old or more, and wasn’t all that well kept up before I got it. But I could afford it, and at least, it’s paid for now (except for the real estate taxes!).

And Pappadave, I don’t mix too well with stairs, either, but I have no choice at this time, so I guess I’m stuck here.

Pappadave, The brick homes here (Chesterfield, Va) are everywhere.

I had a choice but decided on the vinyl sided home for easy maintenance.

I have friends with all brick who swear that they will never get another.

Seems the brick takes lots of upkeep or eventually will have to be replaced … maybe a brick at a time.:crybaby:

Thank You Susanna.

Now if I could only grow and keep a lawn! (That’s another post)

Seems to be impossible in a forest!:angry26: :crybaby:

Don’t I know it! I don’t live in a forest, but I put two small oaks in my front yard 25 years ago and my yard is on the NORTH side of my house so my grass won’t grow for spit! Those two oaks are now over 30’ tall and very full. Beautiful trees, actually, and I’d rather do without the grass than get rid of 'em. I haven’t found any grass that will grow there. We’re too far north for St. Augustine and too far south for common Bermuda. I suppose I could try to find some hybrid sort, but now that I’m retired, I just don’t have the energy to do it myself nor the extra cash to have someone else do it.

BTW, sillipuddy, I’ve always had brick homes and haven’t had any problem with any of them, other than having to “point-up” the mortar from time to time…at worst every time I’ve needed to sell one of 'em. One house I had (with a second story) had redwood siding on the upper story. I had to stain it once, but otherwise it was maintenance-free.