My thoughts on political correctness

I think my latest round of thinking might have been a result of the spurious notions lately such as the anti-abortion rhetoric leading to the Planned Parenthood mass shooting, or the whole thing about mass shootings in general and the manipulation of statistics to put a push behind gun control.

Or maybe it’s the holidays, knowing I haven’t seen my sister in a long time but she’s a professor and her Facebook posts indicate she’s probably more liberal than my parents. Or maybe it’s my kids school and the green agenda behind their school projects and all the anti-bullying stuff and so forth.

But anyway. I haven’t been around in a while, and in the time that’s elapsed since I was more active around here, I’ve gotten divorced and am currently engaged, and my views on relationships and myself in general have evolved. In particular, from a political viewpoint, I look at political correctness with a renewed depth of why political correctness is so wrong.

Here’s the way I see political correctness; it’s a movement where everyone has to chose words or actions carefully to avoid committing an offense, usually perceived, against another person. Examples of violations of political correctness include calling a gay guy a faggot, referring to illegal aliens as illegal aliens instead of undocumented workers, or something as simple as referring to terrorists as terrorists instead of some other meandering title that defines them narrowly and separately from people that aren’t the terrorists but have some trait in common.

I feel that the better position is that everybody should just learn to be comfortable with who they are instead of being offended as easily as possible or because somebody chose words that carry meaning that may or may not be the same, but who knows because we aren’t inside anybody’s head but our own.

Why should it be offensive to call a guy who is homosexual a faggot? If I was one, if I was comfortable with my sexual orientation and someone called me a faggot, why shouldn’t my best option for a response be to say “yes I am.” I think it’s pretty well accepted, and anybody who disagrees - who cares, free country, entitled to their opinion. And if they chose to disagree in a violent fashion, there’s a simple word for that - criminal. Assault and battery is a crime, pretty straight forward.

My thought had a lot more depth, but that was the example that stuck in my head of the point I wanted to make. I think you can apply it in many ways. But the broader point is that this fear of miswording has obfuscated the issues, and long story short it’s like a thick fog, leaving us blind to the best things getting dismantled.

Well said!

Seeing as most slurs have a valid original meaning I tend to just use the original meaning when someone calls me whatever slur first comes to their tiny mind.

If I was homosexual, I would be offended by being called a “faggot” and I don’t understand why their is support for wanting to be able to call them that to them.

I can understand all the others though.

I don’t think the point is “wanting” to call them anything. The point is that 'WAY too many people are becoming tender snowflakes who can’t STAND to hear words that, often to them and them alone, are “offensive.” Remember the guy in D.C. who was forced out of his job for using the word “niggardly” in front of a few blacks who didn’t know what it meant and didn’t know that it doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with the “N” word? They got all butt-hurt by a word that doesn’t mean anything like what they thought it meant and some guy had to resign from his job and these morons CELEBRATED their “victory.” There’s a REASON the 1st Amendment to the Constitution mentions “freedom of speech” and prohibits government from interfering with it. THAT’S what’s wrong with “hate crimes,” by the way. If I beat the crap out of a black guy for some reason, I can be charged with assault and battery, but if I call him NAMES while doing so, please explain to us how that’s WORSE for him than the beating and therefore deserving of “enhanced sentencing.”

[quote=“Pappadave, post:5, topic:47875”]
I don’t think the point is “wanting” to call them anything. The point is that 'WAY too many people are becoming tender snowflakes who can’t STAND to hear words that, often to them and them alone, are “offensive.” Remember the guy in D.C. who was forced out of his job for using the word “niggardly” in front of a few blacks who didn’t know what it meant and didn’t know that it doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with the “N” word? They got all butt-hurt by a word that doesn’t mean anything like what they thought it meant and some guy had to resign from his job and these morons CELEBRATED their “victory.” There’s a REASON the 1st Amendment to the Constitution mentions “freedom of speech” and prohibits government from interfering with it. THAT’S what’s wrong with “hate crimes,” by the way. If I beat the crap out of a black guy for some reason, I can be charged with assault and battery, but if I call him NAMES while doing so, please explain to us how that’s WORSE for him than the beating and therefore deserving of “enhanced sentencing.”
[/quote]And if turn around was fair play and whites became offended every time a black person calls us names which ended with them losing their jobs then true equity would be the case. Since the whole thing is a scam to promote separatist enclaves with blacks some how being superior all this is smoke and mirrors.

I like being disparaged as long as those trying to disparage me are obviously contemptible, people are only capable of being offended by the words of those they respect.

If a respectable person holds me in contempt, that is when I pause for reflection; when those with no redeeming character hold me in contempt I breathe easy.

Political Correctness is nothing more than an attempt to make the contemptible acceptable, to normalize that which is despicable in order to make the despicable credible. Peer Pressure cannot be applied for good as long as those who know what “good” is embrace political correctness, so evil flourishes as society calls “evil” good and “good” evil.

So I do not participate in such things.

Political correctness makes “How you say it” as or more important than “What you say”. This cripples our ability to communicate. It makes it dangerous to use satire or irony or hyperbole. It makes it much tougher to inject humor into an argument. It makes exaggeration near impossible. It sucks the color out of our rhetoric. Our culture today lives in fear of being deemed intolerant, fear debilitates. Political correctness is not simply a call for civility it goes far beyond that, it’s a device to silence us.

And, IMHO, all the preceding is ONE of the strongest reasons that Trump is - at this point anyway - untouchable!!!
This guy is the polar opposite of P C!!!

I read one day that comics do not have events at colleges anymore because of PC nonsense. I have to wonder if it is okay to blast whites and other minorities with black comics. This seems to be the case when black comics are on the comedy channel calling each other ni++ers and telling racist jokes about other races.

Some would say that is black privilege

Some people are just retarded faggots who menstruate all over everything.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If one has to be so incredibly particular with the words he chooses, it makes it very, very difficult to redress grievances.

Here’s the next level of depth on what I was thinking… White privilege is something about the PC movement that really just speaks to me about how wrong the whole thing is. I grew up as the older of 2 kids whose parents were teachers, not a lot of wealth. I became an engineer and had 2 kids. I’m doing what I do because of my own efforts while I’ve watched others have scholarships to college to which I did not have access because I was a white male and not a minority. I didn’t get my grades by pestering everyone else to copy off their homework as I saw prominently done by certain ethnicities, even including a colleague at my first engineering job who had a masters degree but constantly relied on me to explain to him many of the most basic engineering concepts…

To my mind, white privilege doesn’t mean I had some advantage because I grew up as a white male. I do see that there are legitimate and successful colleagues who are minorities, possibly from circumstances not as good as my own who have made it. But the way I see it, “white privilege” is actually the case against trying to give advantage to minorities. We’ve tried it for generations, and if it hasn’t solved the problem, clearly the better solution isn’t more PC and tilting the playfield to try to provide advantage to minorities. The better solution is to treat them the same, give no advantage, and let everyone find their own way through the challenges they face on their quest for success.

In my opinion a sex pervert is a sex pervert and perverts don’t get my respect. I don’t care if they have sex with horses, dogs, little kids, or their own gender, they are all perverts. I don’t respect a homosexual anymore than I respect a pedophile and I don’t respect a homosexual anymore than I respect a beastiality person, because in the end it is all perversion. (Of course, I am not including homosexuals who understand they have a problem and practice chastity. Those people I admire greatly, as I would admire an alcoholic who stays clean & sober.)

And before anyone freaks out over my comparison with a pedophile, here is a clarification: I fully understand that the ramifications and effects of acts of pedophilia are far more horrible because they affect little kids. I get that. But I am referring to the inner perversion inside the person: The homosexual and the pedophile both have a mental disorder that makes them sexually attracted to the wrong thing. That is how they are the same.

So why did I say all that? Here is why: You said “I don’t understand why their is support for wanting to be able to call” homosexuals names. Are you that concerned over calling pedophiles names? If not, why not. My point is, no pervert deserves respect.

The lack of morals and a moral compass among so many Americans has caused totally incongruent responses to perversion: The pedophile they want to kill three times over and burn what is left (which is okay by me BTW), the homosexual they want to celebrate and don’t you dare say anything bad about them, and the people who have sex with animals . . well . . let’s pretend they don’t exist.

[quote=“TerryOfromCA, post:14, topic:47875”]
I don’t care if they have sex with horses, dogs, or their own gender, they are all perverts. My point is, no pervert deserves respect.
[/quote]I believe that having sex with fat people also falls into this category. But I don’t really care why people have gross sex.

Having only had sex with slim, pretty, feminine women, makes me the extreme minority in America. The hordes of obese people in the country are already clamoring about how that’s wrong and “shallow”, etc.

Wait long enough, and you’ll find yourself on the other end of the persecution stick. It’s coming faster than you think. And there are a lot more mountains than there are fairies.

Rejecting political correctness doesn’t mean you should call gays faggots, or women bitches or blacks *******. Some of you seem to want to be rude just for rudeness’s sake.

DHL I agree with your sentiments and some here seem to want to express themselves in ways to get shock value, nothing more. The PC crowd itself is more about attention than substance.If one looks closely one sees the University hand of Bullfeathers stirring the pot. What I am deducing from all this is the Progressive creating utter confusion withing society wherein all the confusion becomes the smokescreen for progressive policies in politics.

Well you also said that being a Vegan is a “moral” issue so forgive me if I don’t lend much creedence to your thoughts on morality. If this and the rest of your post was meant to be funny, its not, and if its meant to prove some point, it failed.

Perversity is perversity. It comes in many types,and its all perverse. Your idea of beauty is not one of them.

Homosexual acts are acts of grave depravity and they are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

I’m sorry. Can you please show me the post where someone says they want to call gays faggots, or women bitches or blacks *******? I missed that post.

And by the way, why do you call them “gays”? When did that perversion of the English language become acceptable and who made it acceptable? You seem to want and pick and choose your slang. The PC police pop up and say “fag” is a bad word even though it wasn’t 10 years ago, and like a good little goose-steeping leftist you carry the banner and start to enforce the Nazi speech suppression.

When I was a kid, we learned that sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never hurt you. Today the lefties pee their panties over words and turn a blind eye to real tangible harm. You try to tell us what rejecting political correctness means, we’ll I’ll tell you what rejecting political correctness means; it means not letting some weasel tell us what we can and can’t say. I personally don’t use the word faggot, I use the word PERVERT, but if I did want to say faggot I’ll be dammed if some worm is going to tell me a I can’t!

You going to attack me anywhere?