NASA’s Kepler mission discovers Earth’s older, bigger cousin

NASA

NASA’s Kepler mission has discovered Kepler-452b, the first near-Earth-size planet in the “habitable zone” around a sun-like star, the agency announced Thursday. “We can think of Kepler-452b as an older, bigger cousin to Earth, providing an opportunity to understand and reflect upon Earth’s evolving environment,” said Jon Jenkins, Kepler data analysis lead at NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, who led the discovery team. "It’s awe-inspiring to consider that this planet has spent 6 billion years in the habitable zone of its star; longer than Earth. That’s substantial opportunity for life to arise, should all the necessary ingredients and conditions for life exist on this planet.”

This is fascinating. It was not even 20 years ago there were those who were adamant that planets didn’t exist outside of our own solar system now we have located thousands of them. It’s only a matter of time until life on another planet is confirmed. We also have two spacecraft that have officially entered interstellar space. Just amazing stuff.

Pretty out-there fascinating! Thanks for the link. (Will have to get back later.)

So lets see, in 2015 we can see and find a planet similar to ours that could possibly have life on it.

Earth has only been around about 4.5 Billion years, universe is est to be 13.8 billion years old.

WHAT IF: Another planet say only a million years older than earth and has advanced humanoid life on it only 1 million years ahead of us.

Hey Pops, can I borrow the saucer tonight, got a hot date and want to show her that crazy planet they call earth…

2 Likes

there are good scientific, reasonable and correct reasons that there is no life out there. NONE. It is dishonest of NASA and Hawking and Yuri Melner, the Russian, to say that there is. Now he can waste his money anyway he wants but it’s stupid. Nasa knows this. But they do trot it out periodically for fundraising.

I don’t know one way or the other. But all this talk of this planet being Earth 2.0 is just that; they know next to NOTHING about it.

Pray tell us about those “good scientific, reasonable and correct reasons that there is no life out there”, Caroline. With billions of suns in billions of galaxies, it would be almost IMPOSSIBLE for their NOT to be life elsewhere in the universe.

1 Like

I remember several times hearing a description of the chances of there being another planet that could support life in the universe. The odds against it were more than astronomical.

Well Sweet Caroline at one time I MIGHT have agreed with you, but today I doubt you can find a legit scientist in almost any field that would agree with you. Let me give you 2 reasons:

1. Lets call this the pure chance reasons" In the Milky Way there is an estimated 100 BILLION Stars! In the Universe it is estimated there are 10 TRILLION Galaxies. Yes, even the most ardent scientists accept that pure chance means there is at least one more humanoid race out there.

2. Life on earth: The most recent estimates are that earth is 4.5 Billion years old and there is legit proof that life has existed on this planet for 4 BILLION of that!!! They have found life in every known place on earth from the depths of the seas at about 37,000 feet down, to acid hell holes with bacteria living where nothing was thought to ever exist. Ohhh and try this: Google “new species discovered this year” We are discovering new species every day, every single day.

Must be a lonely planet you are living on…

I am not so cynical about whether there are planets that can support human life. Maybe all the variables may not be the same but that does not mean that there are not enough to support us. Even on this planet we have various environments that we have adapted to.

1 Like

“Pure chance” doesn’t really enter the picture, and as I mentioned above, a scientific proclamation declared that by “pure chance” the possibility was virtually impossible. Looking at Sam’s post, though, I suppose there could be other types of life that don’t require the same conditions that we do, but who really cares?

FC saw a article (not the article itself, just the title), that claimed something to the effect that this was going to be a big blow to God. What a joke! We don’t know anything about it, but God created it just as he created the rest of the universe, and He knew all about it long before we knew of its existence. And, I repeat, we don’t really know *anything *about it; it’s all speculation. BTW, that article FC saw was on the Huffington Post - Nice reliable site!

Susanna it does enter into the picture: Look at the numbers: 100 Billion stars in our galaxy the Milky Way x 10 Trillion Galaxies = enough iterations to allow anything to occur.

Is there life in the Universe other than ours, is it intelligent and more so that us? I would not hesitate to stake anything on that, the answer is YES there is!

Even with light speed, until we get suspended animation down, we’d never see these other “earth-like” planets.

Last estimate I heard is it would take approx. 57 generations for a starship travelling at the speed of light to reach this latest planet. So, colonization is possible, but we would need a large ship with enough families on it to breed 57 generations. And the light speed ability…

If we could go faster, that would be better.

1 Like

If I knew where to locate it - even enough of it to search for it, I’d post that “probability/possibility” argument - which came from scientists, by the way, and atheists at that - they thought it was negating creation. They probably shut up about it because, if anything, it just reinforced creation.

Actually, it wasn’t necessarily about the existence of another earthlike planet - it was about the likelihood of the existence of earth itself.

One fly in the ointment is if we send a colony ship, the possibility of having reached the planet with newer technology when they arrive , they could already find a settled planet.

2 Likes

For real, I am a true believer in advanced lifeforms that have visited our planet…

I think that Sam was referring to the likelihood that our own technology would advance so rapidly that colonists going out later would beat out the earlier ones.

1 Like

Quantum physics is being updated constantly. I’m thinking they’ll find the answer, as it’s always been my belief that ‘if it can be imagined, it can be done.’

But thanks for answering one fundamental science/math question of mine: How long it’d take to get to to a planet that’s 1400 LIGHT YEARS away.

Second question: How in the heck was it possible TO discover something that’s 1400 light-years away?

And when and IF we do get there, will it still be there?

Amazing stuff, anyway. Although I’ve spent little time studying it seriously, science and geology have both always fascinated me.

All this conjecture, supposes that humans can physically handle travelling at the speed of light. The faster we travel, the more we increase our mass. Eventually, the energy it takes to move us faster, increases so that we cannot achieve that speed.
So, that said, at current speeds, assuming 35,000 mph, it would take about 25,000 years.