New Basement windows

I was thinking about putting in new windows in the basement this spring and I had asked for an estinate. The company wanted $360 per window to put in 6 windows.

I can do it myself a lot cheaper. I can buy the windows for under a $100 per window and I have looked at what it would take to replace them and the process is not that hard.

Talk about a rip off.

I paid $308 per window installed. I put in 21 when I put my siding on. There’s one crummy outfit going around charging $2000 for a “custom” window. Mine were custom, the most I had that were the same size were 5. I had several others of equal sizes - about 2 different sizes, then there were 3 of odd-ball sizes. I had 7 more windows that I didn’t replace. I have a friend when she was putting a beauty shop in her basement had the $2000 estimate. Also, a landlord I had in Ohio had the same estimate. They are definitely a rip-off outfit.

Last year, I bought 4 windows that were to go into window places that had been removed and covered up by a previous owner. We bought all four windows for approx. $600 and was testing out a new contractor that was recommended by a neighbor. He quoted us $500 for labor and material (not including the windows). He showed up with his wife (who helped him), put in a 10-hour day, and did an excellent job. He’s not cheap but, he does it right and minimizes changes from the original estimate.

He knew that we had a major remodel planned for later in the year that included vinyl siding. We had some other prep/repair work that needed to be done before the remodel and got similar results for a similar price. His labor rate for two people seems to run about $500/day which includes a whole 3rd person–the IRS. My wife and I liked his dedication to doing it right at a reasonable price so, we decided to keep him.

I spec out and budget all kinds of work that have to take into account what I call a Loaded labor rate. This rate includes the actual time for number of people along with other expenses. The IRS is a major cost driver.

Having said that, I suggest going the route that we did. Find a good contractor that is known for doing good work even if they aren’t the cheapest one out there (this is the hardest part). Then have them give you an estimate for the work. You can even ask them about which types of windows are best to purchase. That way, they are separated from the window sale and aren’t trying to gouge you in the package deal.

We had made such a mistake a few years earlier to a 4’X8’ picture window and two other 3’X3’ windows. We were changed approx. $3000 for the windows and installation that took a total of 3-4 hours. We needed them but, could have spent about $1000 less if we had approached it the other way. My wife was in a hurry to get new windows and insisted we go this route to get it done fast. She has since learned from this mistake. The windows are still good and we-installed. We just paid too much. If you can do the work yourself, that’s where you save the most.

[quote=“Conservative_Libertarian, post:3, topic:28731”]
Last year, I bought 4 windows that were to go into window places that had been removed and covered up by a previous owner. We bought all four windows for approx. $600 and was testing out a new contractor that was recommended by a neighbor. He quoted us $500 for labor and material (not including the windows). He showed up with his wife (who helped him), put in a 10-hour day, and did an excellent job. He’s not cheap but, he does it right and minimizes changes from the original estimate.

He knew that we had a major remodel planned for later in the year that included vinyl siding. We had some other prep/repair work that needed to be done before the remodel and got similar results for a similar price. His labor rate for two people seems to run about $500/day which includes a whole 3rd person–the IRS. My wife and I liked his dedication to doing it right at a reasonable price so, we decided to keep him.

I spec out and budget all kinds of work that have to take into account what I call a Loaded labor rate. This rate includes the actual time for number of people along with other expenses. The IRS is a major cost driver.

Having said that, I suggest going the route that we did. Find a good contractor that is known for doing good work even if they aren’t the cheapest one out there (this is the hardest part). Then have them give you an estimate for the work. You can even ask them about which types of windows are best to purchase. That way, they are separated from the window sale and aren’t trying to gouge you in the package deal.

We had made such a mistake a few years earlier to a 4’X8’ picture window and two other 3’X3’ windows. We were changed approx. $3000 for the windows and installation that took a total of 3-4 hours. We needed them but, could have spent about $1000 less if we had approached it the other way. My wife was in a hurry to get new windows and insisted we go this route to get it done fast. She has since learned from this mistake. The windows are still good and we-installed. We just paid too much. If you can do the work yourself, that’s where you save the most.
[/quote]From what I can see, all I have to do is to remove eight screws on each side or perhaps less depending on the length of the screws and the window should just slide out.

The windows has brackets where I can use the window in either up or down position thus the number of screws.