New evidence suggests that Seattle’s ‘radical experiment’ ...

New evidence suggests that Seattle’s ‘radical experiment’ might be a model for the rest of the nation not to follow
Mark J. Perry
February 18, 2016 10:13

Seattle’s city council made history in June 2014 by unanimously passing legislation that will eventually bring the city’s minimum wage up to $15 an hour, the highest in the nation. Washington State already had the distinction at that time of having the highest state minimum wage in the country at $9.32 an hour. The first increase to $10 an hour for some Seattle businesses and $11 for others took place on April 1, 2015. Additional increases to $12.00, $12.50 or $13 an hour took effect for most employers on January 1, 2016. Further increases will continue until the city’s minimum wage reaches the full $15 an hour, which will happen on the first of the year in either 2017, 2018 or 2019 for most employers and as late as January 2021 for some small businesses with fewer than 500 employees.

Early evidence from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on Seattle’s monthly employment, the number of unemployed workers, and the city’s unemployment rate through December 2015 suggest that since last April when the first minimum wage hike took effect: a) the city’s employment has fallen by more than 11,000, b) the number of unemployed workers has risen by nearly 5,000, and c) the city’s jobless rate has increased by more than 1 percentage point (all based on BLS’s “not seasonally adjusted basis”). Those figures are based on employment data for the city of Seattle only (not the Seattle MSA or MD), and are available from the BLS website here (data are “not seasonally adjusted”). Those three negative employment effects are displayed in the three charts above and I’ll explain each in greater detail below.

Government imposes higher labor costs on businesses, and businesses respond by laying off people and/or not hiring new people. What a non-shock! And with the second cycle of cost increases newly imposed, it’s not likely to improve, or even stay the same. Brilliant!

And this is an economy that provides a median household income of $65,000 to $70,000.

I fear for my state. No doubt, the effects will be far more profound. Wyoming is more attractive by the minute.

A similarly aggressive minimum wage is headed to the governor’s desk, $14.75 for Portland by 2022, and the rest of the state is broken into a two-tiered structure, with the Willamette Valley hitting $13.50 and the rest of the state hitting $12.50.

Cuomo is pushing that garbage in NY. Wolfe hasn’t in PA- yet.

It’s only a matter of time. Every Democrat-controlled State will start to lose businesses. An unfortunately side-effect will be that people who’ve SUPPORTED those blue-states will move into red states and, not having learned a single thing, will push to have it there, too. That’s what happened to BOTH Oregon and Washington as the putatively “smart” Californians fled California and changed both other states into little Californias.

:yeahthat: The number of idiots(AKA liberals) flooding the Metroplex is ridiculous. Someone who had moved here from California came to the library one day and had the nerve to criticize the way we did things in Texas. She compared our small town library to that of San Fransisco. I put on my best smile and responded, “We prefer to do thing right in Texas.”. Needless to say she never came back. My boss laughed and told me to never to do it again.

Yes, pretty much this. I like to joke that we are trying to build the wall on the wrong border. One part of me appreciates the very American act of relocating for jobs and opportunity, on the other side though many of the Californians seem to complain about everything that isn’t the same as where they fled from, seemingly unaware of the irony. The yuppy weenies that have moved to the DFW area by their own free will, to earn a good living for a low cost and no state income tax, and seem to hate everything Texan(second amendment, whataburger and being awesome in general) can all go suck a butt.

Personally I think we just need wall around Texas. It’s bad enough we share a border with Oklahoma. :wink:

I wonder if we can sell the Metroplex to Mexico or just make them their own state so that we do not have to deal with them. Then we can just build a wall around the DFW area.

Only if you take Portland, Corvallis, Eugene and Ashland.

And Pittsburgh and Philly.

If I include other cities then I have to sell them to Mexico. America would be better off without big cities.

You are only suffering the first wave of the attack. As California drives out more businesses and new ones open in Texas you will get more and more “yuppie weenies” who will eventually start electing representatives to bring your state “up to California standards”. Meanwhile the cities and state of California will go either belly up or start cutting some of their wonderful programs. Now that Texas has been brought “up to California standards” the locusts will come as a second wave since Texas social services will be better than California social services. Not a pretty picture. It all might take a decade or so to play out.

Is your Texas secession movement going anywhere? Probably not until it is too late.

%40 rise in wages at the bottom, %1 rise in unemployment. THE SKY IS FALLING!

Everyone freak out!

I suggest we drop minimum wage to $1 per hour, to ensure %100 employment due to imminent fear of starvation :yes: